Wedding Woes

I cannot with this LW. Like, literally can't even.

Dear Prudence,

Recently I had a package delivered from Amazon, and my landlord accidentally drove over it in the driveway. I’m renting a room in her house, so we share an entrance. She immediately apologized and offered to replace the item. It still mostly works but is slightly damaged. It also cost less than $20. I like my landlord, and she’s cut me a lot of slack with rent during COVID (I know that’s just basic human decency, but still more than a lot of other landlords are doing), so I don’t necessarily want to hold her feet to the fire on this. At the same time, this was a special birthday gift I got myself, and I do wish it was undamaged. I’m tempted just to report that the item arrived damaged (the delivery person really shouldn’t have left it in the middle of the driveway). I don’t have a ton of sympathy for landlords as a group, but I think in the hierarchy of capitalistic evils, megacorporations are definitely worse, right? Who should I ask for a replacement from? Or should I just let the whole thing go and keep the slightly damaged item I already have?

—Megacorporations vs. Landlords

Re: I cannot with this LW. Like, literally can't even.

• You told her no, going back now seems weird. If the cost is negligible to you just order a new one. 

Don’t falsely report it as damaged because while yes those costs are built in to corporations it’s clearly not for situations like this where you do know what happened and the person offered to make it right. 
  • I really wish my life problems were this minuscule that this is what I’d be asking an advice columnist advice on. 

• This is so dumb.  Why does Prudie even run letters like this?
  • Some people can create drama out of absolutely nothing and those people usually burn through friends.

• @short+sassy  so slight alter to your comment about rent/mortgage. Idk where LW lives, but in Canada right now there is something all banks are doing to adjust payments {moving to later date, moving to end etc} without getting a ding on your report.

Landlords are told that if people have to hold pymts, they cannot ding against report nor can they evict.

Covid restrictions - idk about other provinces, but Ontario has that.
  • @short+sassy  so slight alter to your comment about rent/mortgage. Idk where LW lives, but in Canada right now there is something all banks are doing to adjust payments {moving to later date, moving to end etc} without getting a ding on your report.

Landlords are told that if people have to hold pymts, they cannot ding against report nor can they evict.

The US has something similar to the bolded, but it's a lie.  True, it doesn't lower someone's credit score, but it is entered into their credit report and is a giant red flag waving in the wind for any future credit needs.  I have heard it's removed (or is no longer considered) after someone gets up to date on their mortgage and tells their bank to remove the forebearance.  But, for as rife as US credit reports are with errors, I would never want to bet on that.

And forebearances are ONLY for mortgages in someone's personal name.  Most mortgages for rental properties are commercial loans because the properties are owned in a business name.  Therefore they do NOT have the same forbearance protection.  A bank can chose to do that for their real estate business customers, but they aren't required to.

For renters, there have been two nationwide eviction moratoriums in the US but there are stipulations for each, so it's not necessarily a blanket-wide protection.  Each state can also put in place their own eviction moratorium (and many have)...or just plain 'ole shut down their eviction courts...but it varies widely.

I'm not sure about dinging a tenant's credit report.  Though, at the very least, they can always ding it some point if monies owed are not repaid.  And, let's be real, that's exactly what is going to happen to the vast majority of tenants that have fallen months behind on their rent.  As eviction moratoriums end, most people will move somewhere else and never even try to make good on their debt. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

The US has something similar to the bolded, but it's a lie.  True, it doesn't lower someone's credit score, but it is entered into their credit report and is a giant red flag waving in the wind for any future credit needs.  I have heard it's removed (or is no longer considered) after someone gets up to date on their mortgage and tells their bank to remove the forebearance.  But, for as rife as US credit reports are with errors, I would never want to bet on that.

And forebearances are ONLY for mortgages in someone's personal name.  Most mortgages for rental properties are commercial loans because the properties are owned in a business name.  Therefore they do NOT have the same forbearance protection.  A bank can chose to do that for their real estate business customers, but they aren't required to.

For renters, there have been two nationwide eviction moratoriums in the US but there are stipulations for each, so it's not necessarily a blanket-wide protection.  Each state can also put in place their own eviction moratorium (and many have)...or just plain 'ole shut down their eviction courts...but it varies widely.

I'm not sure about dinging a tenant's credit report.  Though, at the very least, they can always ding it some point if monies owed are not repaid.  And, let's be real, that's exactly what is going to happen to the vast majority of tenants that have fallen months behind on their rent.  As eviction moratoriums end, most people will move somewhere else and never even try to make good on their debt. 
    I know some stuff about U.S report because of what I do and companies we deal with.
    There's stuff in Canada that doesn't directly translate so people who use credit karma, will see something different and complain to us.
    It pulls from the Canadian report, but the translation gets lost so it reads something else lol

I know some stuff about U.S report because of what I do and companies we deal with.
    There's stuff in Canada that doesn't directly translate so people who use credit karma, will see something different and complain to us.
    It pulls from the Canadian report, but the translation gets lost so it reads something else lol
    People need to calm down about Credit Karma anyway.  It says all over their website that these are approximations and may not match actual credit reports/scores.

I tend to find my Credit Karma score is almost always a good 50 points lower than my actual scores.  And, omg, that's a lot!  But I still find other aspects of the site useful and I really like it.  Plus the report itself and the "trending up or down" is usually accurate, even if the score isn't. 

Ooohh, I also recently made a super helpful discovery.  The biggest problem with my credit score is high credit card utilization.  CC companies report new balances to the bureaus about once a month and it's usually around the same date.  Both Experian's website and Credit Karma will show the last date that the balance was reported.

Since I'm about to start my refinance (hopefully) in the next 2-3 weeks.  Now I can be very strategic as to which cc's I'm paying down!  And focus on the ones that will hit my credit report before I apply ;).  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

People need to calm down about Credit Karma anyway.  It says all over their website that these are approximations and may not match actual credit reports/scores.

I tend to find my Credit Karma score is almost always a good 50 points lower than my actual scores.  And, omg, that's a lot!  But I still find other aspects of the site useful and I really like it.  Plus the report itself and the "trending up or down" is usually accurate, even if the score isn't. 

Ooohh, I also recently made a super helpful discovery.  The biggest problem with my credit score is high credit card utilization.  CC companies report new balances to the bureaus about once a month and it's usually around the same date.  Both Experian's website and Credit Karma will show the last date that the balance was reported.

Since I'm about to start my refinance (hopefully) in the next 2-3 weeks.  Now I can be very strategic as to which cc's I'm paying down!  And focus on the ones that will hit my credit report before I apply ;).  
    Idk how it is in the states but in Canada it's actually pretty accurate. We suggest to people to use it since it's free.
    The only difference between Credit Karma and one of our actual credit bureau is how it reads.

Canada - R ratings {R9 is worst you can be}
    Credit Karma is an American company so it shows as numbers.

Tbh it's less the scoring you should use and more what it says on the actual accounts and how they read. {behind pymts, up to date, open/closed, etc}
    I have a weird level of knowledge on this because of my job and studying - this is stuff I'll be discussing with clients after I pass my exam lol
  • She offered to replace it. Why not just take her up on it? You're perpetuating a problem that already has a solution. Stop trying to make this political or whatever the hell it is you're trying to do.