Wedding Woes

How could you trust him now?

Dear Prudence, 

Two years ago I was seeing a therapist I really liked. Six months into our relationship, he told me he was relocating to another city for personal reasons, gave me a month’s notice before our sessions ended, and offered to refer me to another therapist. I was disappointed, since I felt like we’d been making progress together, but I understood. I tried a therapist at another practice, but didn’t really gel with her, and stopped going after a while. I haven’t seen a therapist since. Since most therapy is remote due to coronavirus now, I recently thought I might be able to set up a video appointment with my old therapist. I googled him and found he’s actually still in my city—just at a different location.

It’s possible his plans just changed, but I don’t understand why he wouldn’t have told me if that was the case. I’ve been unsure about contacting him, because I’m worried he lied to me about his plans because he wanted to stop treating me for some other reason. A friend of mine jokingly asked if I thought he might have fallen in love with me, and I don’t really think that’s likely. But I don’t know what to think. Should I just email him and ask him for an appointment? I feel really weird and keep hesitating about contacting him.

—One More Appointment

Re: How could you trust him now?

• I think it’s fine to email and ask if he’s doing remote/ you still see you but be prepared for a no. It’s definitely weird that he said he was leaving the city and didn’t. I don’t know if I’d want to see someone who lied.
  • That’s weird.  I would think a professional
    could say “I don’t think I’m the right fit for what you need, I’m going to recommended you to a colleague who can help you at a higher level than I can”... 

• I have literal nightmares about my therapist quitting me, so I feel for this LW.  However, I think LW should just let this go. I am concerned it may be more damaging to LW to try to reach out and either be rejected or ignored by their former therapist. 

Also, my therapist is not big on self-disclosing unless it's to help me work through something, so it's not like LW will get the reasons for why the therapist terminated the relationship (even if it was that he moved away and then came back). If he does, it would be suspect IMO. 
  • I don't think the LW should contact their previous therapist.  For whatever reason, they chose to no longer treat them.  It might not have been personal or originally a lie.  Maybe they were going to move, didn't, but then didn't reach out to all of their patients.

The only comforting answer I can think of is that they did move and then moved back.  

Overall though, I don't think the LW will get a satisfying answer.  I think they'd end up more upset.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would never discourage anyone from going to therapy if they think they'd benefit from it, but I wouldn't recommend trying to go back to this particular therapist. If you reach out to him and he won't see you, you'll feel bad. And even if he agrees to start treating you again, I think the question of what happened before will always hang over your head. And if you were to ask, I agree the only answer you could probably live with is that he moved, it didn't work out, and he moved back. 

I suggest giving therapy another chance but starting fresh with someone else.