Wedding Woes
Options

Keep staying out of it.

Dear Prudence,

My sister-in-law has had an affair with a 17-year-old boy (she’s 35) and might be pregnant. My sister has taken off with their twins to go stay with our mother in Mexico. Oh yes, my mother moved there two years ago to join a cult. She left the cult but stayed in the country. Our dad is still married to her, despite his five-year relationship with his “housekeeper” he thinks we don’t know about. But we never had a housekeeper growing up, he’s certainly not wealthy enough to afford a live-in employee now, and we all know “Gwen” doesn’t do much to look after the house.

Is it awful that I’m just not involved? Usually I’d be in the thick of it, being the designated fixer and “good daughter.” Except it’s a pandemic and I’ve just stayed out of it. It’s bliss. I obviously know what’s happening, but due to time differences and working from home, most of my information comes via email. I let it sit in the inbox till I’m ready to look at it, and it’s just not as fraught as talking to a devastated relative face-to-face. I have been supportive, or at least not outright accusatory, at my sister-in-law (17!), but just at a remove. As far as I can tell this new distance hasn’t changed anyone else’s lives, just mine. Yet I do feel guilty for not being elbow-deep in the mess with everyone else. That’s what families do, right? Pitch in? I didn’t realize how tired I was of it all, until I realized I could actually live in peace.

—Out of the Game

Re: Keep staying out of it.

• Options
    You can stay out of it.   Why do you want to fix anything other than know that the kids are OK? 

• Options
    edited October 2020
    You don’t need Prudie’s permission to stay out of it. 

But depending on where your sister in law lived she could be breaking the law by having a sexual relationship with a minor who can’t legally consent. If you’re worried about the teenager (And you should be) you can and should report it & where she is. 
  • Options
    By all means, stay out of it...after reporting your sister-in-law for her sexual relationship with a minor. That minor does deserve your attention and help. None of the rest of the family drama does.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    By all means, stay out of it...after reporting your sister-in-law for her sexual relationship with a minor. That minor does deserve your attention and help. None of the rest of the family drama does.
    He may be of the age of consent.   However I agree that if a school or parent can be contacted for his well being that is a great idea. 
  • Options
    And I thought my ILs were dysfunctional. Stay away, LW, stay away. Enjoy the peace. 
  • Options
    Wowsers!  Apparently soap operas do sometimes exist in real life!  LW, you have been given a gift.  Now you know how peaceful life can be staying out of your family's largely self-caused drama.  It's great to stay in touch...from a distance, if that is what you want.

But they are grown adults...except your SIL's lover (sigh)...and it isn't your responsibility to fix their problems.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Prudie’s response was all stay out of it, but take all these actions about it. Mine is stay even further out of it. Know less about these people entirely. 
  • Options
    Prudie’s response was all stay out of it, but take all these actions about it. Mine is stay even further out of it. Know less about these people entirely. 
    Same.  I wouldn’t even want to know it was happening.