Wedding Woes
Options

His house, his decision

I have a loving partner of three years who recently bought a house. A few months after he moved in, a friend of his, “Rebecca,” asked him if she could crash in his spare bedroom while she house-hunted for her own place. While I’m not one to tell my partner what he can or cannot do, there are a few things about this arrangement that give me pause. About two years ago, our relationship was in a rocky place, and my partner told me that Rebecca expressed feelings for him. He said he’d turned her down and affirmed his commitment to our partnership. The other thing that bothers me is that Rebecca’s budget and expectations for the house she’s looking for are completely out of touch with the city we live in. The house she wants does not exist, and there is no timeline that I’m aware of, so it feels like she will be staying in his house indefinitely.

I have tried to be friendly with Rebecca and make small talk, but it has been three months since she moved in, and I’m deeply resentful of her, this situation, and truthfully my partner for allowing this situation to continue for so long. He thinks that I am trying to tell him what to do, or even being childish, but for me this represents a major breach. I feel like he’s not taking my feelings into account. He tells me that all there is to be done here is my “getting over it.” His living arrangement has altered the way and the frequency with which we spend time together, which is especially upsetting during a pandemic where we are each other’s primary source of social contact. I really wish I could just “get over it,” but I find myself growing more bitter, and it scares me. My hope is that this feeling will disappear once Rebecca moves out. How do I find a way to make peace with my partner and this situation in which we see things so differently, in the meantime?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: His house, his decision

• Options
    As title says, his house his choice HOWEVER you can state to your spouse how past situations have made you uncomfortable and you cannot just "get over it"

But LW needs to talk to their spouse.
  • Options
    While it's ultimately up to your partner who he decides to let stay in his home, you don't have to put up with a situation where you are uncomfortable and he isn't taking your feelings into account. If you don't trust him, or you don't like that his solution for you is to just "get over it," it's totally valid to end the relationship, or at least to let him know that's on the table for you.
  • Options
    I know it’s their house, but frankly it’s kind of bullshit. 

• Options
    Because of the pandemic, I'm a little more on the LW's side.  Because now they are being forced to either let Rebecca "in the bubble" or not see their b/f.

But, otherwise, I think the LW is overstepping.  Maybe this woman liked the b/f a year ago.  However, nothing has even gone on between them.  I just don't think the LW gets to say who does/doesn't live in the b/f's house.  Though if it is a deal breaker that is always their option.

Is Rebecca going to ride this free or low cost rent opportunity for all it's worth and stay living there until the b/f gets sick of it?  Yeah, probably.  But that's up to the b/f to deal with and, so far, it doesn't sound like he minds.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    He wants Rebecca to love there knowing she has feelings for him, and your feelings about this situation. Sure his house, his rules. 

But it’s your relationship, too and he’s clearly not taking your feelings into account there.
  • Options
    I am not buying the partner's story nor am I buying Rebecca's.   Maybe it's honest but at best the BF is overly nice and Rebecca is a manipulative homewrecker.    

And if you're in a mutually loving relationship there is no way to move forward if the answer is to get over it.   The relationship is over and it's really good news for Rebecca because she now gets what she wanted in the first place. 
  • Options
    Agree with the rest of you on this. it would irk me.  I’m reading it where LW does not live with said partner, am I right?

• Options
    Agree with the rest of you on this. it would irk me.  I’m reading it where LW does not live with said partner, am I right?
    I read through the letter carefully...because that would be a totally different story for me if the LW lived there...but their phrase "His living arrangement has altered the way and the frequency with which we spend time together", tells me that they do not live together.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I read through the letter carefully...because that would be a totally different story for me if the LW lived there...but their phrase "His living arrangement has altered the way and the frequency with which we spend time together", tells me that they do not live together.
    I am imagining that a visit to the boyfriend's and the ability to have romantic quiet time with him is now nearly impossible if he has a housemate quarantining.  And it sucks more when that person quarantining is someone who already expressed to have feelings for him.

Obviously there are multiple sides to the story here but based on what the LW said there's no way Rebecca's motives are purely financial. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    I am imagining that a visit to the boyfriend's and the ability to have romantic quiet time with him is now nearly impossible if he has a housemate quarantining.  And it sucks more when that person quarantining is someone who already expressed to have feelings for him.

Obviously there are multiple sides to the story here but based on what the LW said there's no way Rebecca's motives are purely financial. 
    That's just not the vibe I'm getting.  At worst, she expressed a crush on him two years ago that was unrequited.  The most likely scenario is she got over whatever little crush that was a long time ago.  The LW didn't even mention anything about Rebecca being flirtatious or inappropriate at all in the present time and it seems like that would be the first thing talked about, if it were the case.

I think both people are wrong to an extent.  I'm on the b/f's side that calling it a "major breach" is too much.  But I'm on the LW's side that he also seems to be too dismissive of their feelings.  For the b/f, I think it's okay to say, "I understand your feelings, but I don't agree.  I'm helping a friend and I can choose to have a roommate in my house."  But calling the LW childish and that they need to "get over it" is also taking it too far.

I think part of why I have a different opinion from you all is, if I were in the b/f's shoes, I'd  also be really insulted.  Like, does my SO really think so little of me that I can't possibly have an opposite gender roommate without falling into bed with them.  Pfftt, then he can just get off the train at the next stop.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I get it.   There's a definite trust issue there too.

And I think part of it is that she's already suspicious of Rebecca because she's presenting the fact that Rebecca can't possibly be honest.

And her partner is not compromising.  It's not a good sign for a lasting relationship. 
  • Options
    How many flags need to fly???  

Three months and Rebecca is still living there with no signs of the ideal house/putting in an offer in sight - maybe because she's living in it with the LW's partner?!?!?  The best "Getting over it" would be dumping the partner of three years and moving on to someone that will actually respect LW because "His house his rules" would likely become "Previews of coming attractions" in anything personalization to the LW if they were to move in at any point...