Wedding Woes

Context matters? Or maybe you've met the wrong people?

Dear Prudence,

I’m a gay man and an only child whose parents both died while I was in college. I didn’t start exploring my sexuality until after they were gone, so I never was able to come out to them, but we were pretty tightknit. I loved them very much. Although I have some extended family, we’re not particularly close. I have a few close friends, but that’s about it, and I’ve gone through almost a decade on my own. I’m in my 30s now, with a string of failed relationships behind me, and I feel like one of the biggest problems has been my lack of a family.

No one, especially around my age, wants to think about their parents’ deaths. I try to be upfront, and this has repeatedly led to relationships where my partner avoids the subject completely, never asking me about my childhood or showing interest in knowing what kind of people my parents were. I’ve asked questions about their families and gotten all kinds of stories and anecdotes, but the questions are never reciprocated. My partners’ avoidance has rubbed off on me too: I’ve found myself avoiding thinking about my past before college as a whole, as the memories feel more melancholic than good. This is a part of my history and who I am, but sometimes I feel like I should just give up and not try to talk about it. It just brings people down, and frankly I can’t blame them. This avoidance and having no one to exist in relation to has strained my sense of identity. Do you have any advice on how to approach this topic in relationships? Or just advice for people who have lost their family in general?

—Orphaned Feelings

Re: Context matters? Or maybe you've met the wrong people?

• I feel like there’s something missing here; do you want to talk about the grief and loss or do you just want to share memories and participate in conversations as appropriate?

Either is fine in the context of any friendship or relationship, but if you’re looking for support or commiseration among friends people may have no idea how to support you. I also think if you’re finding you can’t find the good and happiness in those memories you may need the support of a grief-specific group or counselor. Your friends likely can’t provide that type of support for you. 

That said you should feel able to talk about them in your relationship (platonic and romantic) and maybe ask the people you’re with how you can make them feel comfortable having that conversation with you. 
  • Of my close friends 8 of us have lost at least one parent in our 30s. This isn’t that rare and I agree therapy would be helpful. 
  • I agree with your assessment, @short+sassy.  LW is definitely having projection issues. 

Also, same for our friend group @STARMOON44.  There are several people amongst us who have lost at least one parent and some who've lost both.  And everyone was under 40.