Wedding Woes
Options

Oh LW, you deserve better friends.

Dear Prudence,

I am a 22-year-old autistic woman who recently got a service dog. I didn’t get my diagnosis until I was 19. She is task-trained to provide medication reminders at specific times. She also provides a great deal of emotional support when I’m dealing with depression and social anxiety, although I know that particular benefit is not considered a task by the ADA. Sometimes, we face pushback in public places, because my disability is invisible. But in those situations, I am able to advocate for myself. However, my current problem stems from a situation where my dog is not guaranteed access by law. I was invited to a small, socially distanced gathering at some friends’ home back in October. As usual, I planned to have my service dog with me, since she goes with me everywhere. But on the day of the event, one of the hosts reached out to me (in a group message with the other three hosts) to inform me that they had decided that my service dog would have to stay at home. They said it was for the “safety and comfort” of everyone involved.

It became a long argument between myself and the three siblings who hosted this gathering. Their reasoning was that my dog might rile up their own dog (the two are siblings and enjoy opportunities to play together). I offered to keep my dog leashed throughout the entire event or to bring her kennel and leave her in a back room. I was told that neither of these were an option and that I needed to “get over it” if I was sometimes told that my service dog wasn’t welcome in a private home. After all, I’m “fine without her for a couple of hours.”

By law, I know my animal has no protection in a private space, but am I right to think that their attitude and ultimatum were both extraordinarily rude? When I tried to explain how refusing to allow my trained, hypoallergenic service dog lies somewhere between unkindness and discrimination, these friends insisted that I was simply being dramatic and that a service dog is not equivalent to medically necessary equipment like insulin or a wheelchair or glasses. I don’t know how my friendship with this family can proceed if they really believe that there are certain situations when it’s totally fine to demand my service animal stay at home, without a compelling reason. Is there a way to salvage this?

—Still Stung

Re: Oh LW, you deserve better friends.

• Options
    mrsconn23 said:

Dear Prudence,

I am a 22-year-old autistic woman who recently got a service dog. I didn’t get my diagnosis until I was 19. She is task-trained to provide medication reminders at specific times. She also provides a great deal of emotional support when I’m dealing with depression and social anxiety, although I know that particular benefit is not considered a task by the ADA. Sometimes, we face pushback in public places, because my disability is invisible. But in those situations, I am able to advocate for myself. However, my current problem stems from a situation where my dog is not guaranteed access by law. I was invited to a small, socially distanced gathering at some friends’ home back in October. As usual, I planned to have my service dog with me, since she goes with me everywhere. But on the day of the event, one of the hosts reached out to me (in a group message with the other three hosts) to inform me that they had decided that my service dog would have to stay at home. They said it was for the “safety and comfort” of everyone involved.

It became a long argument between myself and the three siblings who hosted this gathering. Their reasoning was that my dog might rile up their own dog (the two are siblings and enjoy opportunities to play together). I offered to keep my dog leashed throughout the entire event or to bring her kennel and leave her in a back room. I was told that neither of these were an option and that I needed to “get over it” if I was sometimes told that my service dog wasn’t welcome in a private home. After all, I’m “fine without her for a couple of hours.”

By law, I know my animal has no protection in a private space, but am I right to think that their attitude and ultimatum were both extraordinarily rude? When I tried to explain how refusing to allow my trained, hypoallergenic service dog lies somewhere between unkindness and discrimination, these friends insisted that I was simply being dramatic and that a service dog is not equivalent to medically necessary equipment like insulin or a wheelchair or glasses. I don’t know how my friendship with this family can proceed if they really believe that there are certain situations when it’s totally fine to demand my service animal stay at home, without a compelling reason. Is there a way to salvage this?

—Still Stung

"Would you tell a person that they can't go without their anxiety medication?"  

How I'd handle this would really depend on whether or not I felt it was an option to continue the friendship.  If I wanted to continue it I would take the time to call the friends after the event I didn't attend and then tell them, "I think it's a good idea to talk about the dog and why I have her and how this works in an effort to help you understand." 

If that falls on deaf ears then that tells you where the friendship goes. 
  • Options
    I mean- do you want to continue to be friends with people who aren’t interested in creating an environment where you are safe and well? 

They are putting their convenience over your health and don’t seem interested in any accommodation. That should tell you all you need to know about what kind of people they are. 
  • Options
    Wow.  I'm trying to imagine even being one of the four hosts, b/c I'm pretty sure I would've lost my shit on the other 3 if that was brought up in discussion.  

LW, I know it's terrible and it has to hurt, but I think it's time to say bye to these "friends".  B/c they're not friends if they won't accommodate your disability, periodt.
  • Options
    Actually, a service dog for a physical disability IS literally equivalent to a medical device.

But then, the LW is unfortunately mistaken.  Because people can sometimes be total f**king, discriminatory a-holes about insulin and wheelchairs also.  Strangers and friends.

From here, it really just depends on if the LW wants to salvage these friendships.  It sounds like they don't and that's fine.  They aren't being dramatic.  This is deal-breaking territory to me.  There was already a long argument that I assume involved the LW explaining multiple times why the dog is important.  The friends either don't or won't understand and there isn't anything more to be said that will change their mind.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    So .... I'm trying to figure out what I would do as the host.  If I invited someone to my house that had to bring their dog, it would cause some logistical problems.  I can't put my dog in the backyard while this is happening because she loves people and will know there are people in the house and would bark like crazy.  If the service dog is leashed and my dog is leashed, it would probably be fine but the first five minutes would be annoying (probably what I would end up doing) and it would make my dog hyper.  Or if the other dog was kenneled, but I would feel bad doing this because that seems like a whole lot of work for poor LW.  Unless this is a small dog and the kennel isn't some huge thing to lug around like I'm picturing.  In which case - LW kennels their dog, maybe around the area that my dog has her cage, and they would keep each other company but still probably be quiet and not too upset.  

So, I understand from the offset not wanting someone to bring their dog to my house, but I would never start off with "you aren't allowed to bring your dog".  It would start with "this is the situation, how can we work around that you can bring your dog and my dog is still comfortable in her own home".  

• Options
    kerbohl said:
    So .... I'm trying to figure out what I would do as the host.  If I invited someone to my house that had to bring their dog, it would cause some logistical problems.  I can't put my dog in the backyard while this is happening because she loves people and will know there are people in the house and would bark like crazy.  If the service dog is leashed and my dog is leashed, it would probably be fine but the first five minutes would be annoying (probably what I would end up doing) and it would make my dog hyper.  Or if the other dog was kenneled, but I would feel bad doing this because that seems like a whole lot of work for poor LW.  Unless this is a small dog and the kennel isn't some huge thing to lug around like I'm picturing.  In which case - LW kennels their dog, maybe around the area that my dog has her cage, and they would keep each other company but still probably be quiet and not too upset.  

So, I understand from the offset not wanting someone to bring their dog to my house, but I would never start off with "you aren't allowed to bring your dog".  It would start with "this is the situation, how can we work around that you can bring your dog and my dog is still comfortable in her own home".  
    Totally agree!  And it sounds like the LW was trying to come to a compromise.

I also wouldn't have an issue with (or as much of an issue with) what the friends did if there were better reasons for not wanting the dog there.  Like if another guest was terrified or allergic to dogs (pretending for a sec the hosts don't have their own dog).  But even then, a better approach to the conversation would have been, "Hey LW.  I know Snuffles is an important part of your medical treatments and well being.  But Jane is also coming to the party and she is allergic to dogs.  Is it possible for you to come without Snuffles?  And, if so, are there any accommodations we can do to make that easier?"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm also impressed with the LW's understanding of the laws in regards to both emotional support animals (ESAs) and animals that assist with physical disabilities.  Their dog does both, but they understand it is the physical help part that matters for public places.

Most people seem to mistakenly think that ESAs are allowed anywhere in public.  That isn't true.  ESAs do not have that protection, so it is at the discretion of a business as to whether they will allow ESAs or not.  They can also choose to allow some types of ESAs and not others.  There are a few exceptions for ESAs.  But very, very few.

As opposed to service animals that help with a physical disability...and they have to be a dog or a mini horse only...need to be allowed almost everywhere.  There are very few exceptions to where they can't go.  But a private residence is, indeed, one of those exceptions.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker