Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

How can I involve a support team when they can't physically be with me?

I've started thinking about dress shopping, and it's just entirely stressful for covid reasons. I'd rather not spend hours in a salon with a bunch of people, but apparently that's not a choice.

Regardless, I've got a support team (mom and sister) who really want to be involved with my dress shopping. Even if multiple people are allowed in the salon, they're not in my bubble...they're across the country!

How have y'all been dealing with a support team that can't physically be there? I know I can't be the only one with this problem...

Re: How can I involve a support team when they can't physically be with me?

• Options
    I've started thinking about dress shopping, and it's just entirely stressful for covid reasons. I'd rather not spend hours in a salon with a bunch of people, but apparently that's not a choice.

Regardless, I've got a support team (mom and sister) who really want to be involved with my dress shopping. Even if multiple people are allowed in the salon, they're not in my bubble...they're across the country!

How have y'all been dealing with a support team that can't physically be there? I know I can't be the only one with this problem...
    Why isn’t that a choice? Especially given covid this seems to be the best option. Even if the store lets more guests in, I think your best bet is to say that you’re sorry but you’re not comfortable, at this time, with being indoors with people not in your household. Then I’d ask the salesperson at the store to set up your phone/tablet somewhere and zoom/video chat your people. That way no one has to travel unnecessarily and they can still see you try on dresses. 

The other alternative id say is to wait until much later when vaccinations are widespread and you all can travel and gather safely. 
  • Options
    When are you getting married? Can you wait on the dress shopping until you feel safer going to the salon and traveling is an option for your mom and sister?

If you think it's necessary to shop for a dress now/soon, I'd recommend contacting a few salons and asking what precautions they are taking (limited number of appointments at a time, restricting guests, etc.) and if it would be possible for you mom and sister to join in via video chat. Then decide what you're comfortable doing at this point.
  • Options

Why isn’t that a choice? Especially given covid this seems to be the best option. Even if the store lets more guests in, I think your best bet is to say that you’re sorry but you’re not comfortable, at this time, with being indoors with people not in your household. Then I’d ask the salesperson at the store to set up your phone/tablet somewhere and zoom/video chat your people. That way no one has to travel unnecessarily and they can still see you try on dresses. 

The other alternative id say is to wait until much later when vaccinations are widespread and you all can travel and gather safely. 
    I think you misunderstood--the bunch of people in the salon is the consultants and other people in the salon, not people I bring. I would prefer to do everything online/try-on-at-home, but none of my local shops are doing that unfortunately, which is why it isn't a choice. So I have to do the salon thing, but I can't do it with my people.

Wedding is early June. In theory I could wait and get the fancy dress for the big party when we hypothetically have it on our anniversary when gatherings are safe, but it seems silly to do wedding dress shopping when I'm already married. Plus I don't want to spend wedding-dress-money twice, I'd rather get more wear out of my one wedding dress.
  • Options

I think you misunderstood--the bunch of people in the salon is the consultants and other people in the salon, not people I bring. I would prefer to do everything online/try-on-at-home, but none of my local shops are doing that unfortunately, which is why it isn't a choice. So I have to do the salon thing, but I can't do it with my people.

Wedding is early June. In theory I could wait and get the fancy dress for the big party when we hypothetically have it on our anniversary when gatherings are safe, but it seems silly to do wedding dress shopping when I'm already married. Plus I don't want to spend wedding-dress-money twice, I'd rather get more wear out of my one wedding dress.
    Sorry, my mistake!

Yah it’s really tough to try traditional wedding dresses on at home. If you want a non-traditional dress regular stores may allow you to buy and return but that’s probably going to be a hassle if you don’t know what you’re looking for. The other option could be having a dress made, then you’d only be meeting with the seamstress. 

If you want a traditional dress & don’t know what you’re looking for/ need to try a lot of styles I’d ask the salon what they’re slowest time/ when the least amount of people will be in the store and see if you can Zoom/FaceTime your people. It’s definitely not going to be the same but if your wedding is in June I don’t think things will change all that much between now and then regarding Covid. It definitely sucks.