Wedding Woes

All. The. Bean. Dip.

Dear Prudence,

We’ll be in contact with my brother and his girlfriend this holiday season. I’m delighted they’re a couple. She’s deeply kind and has made him very happy. She also wears masks everywhere and follows COVID safety protocols. The “but … ” is that she is a bit of a conspiracy theorist. Just throw a dart at a map of Big Pharma, the Illuminati, or aliens and she’ll find some way they’re planning humanity’s downfall. What’s especially weird is this country’s evildoers are not exactly subtle about it, yet somehow she thinks there is a big, secret conspiracy just waiting to be uncovered. This is going to be a bit much this year, but I can’t seem to think of the right exit. Could you please hand me a conversational get-out-of-jail card that I can use without hurting her feelings?

—“I Think You’re Daft,” but Nicely

Re: All. The. Bean. Dip.

• "So I hear you'll be taking a trip to Area 51 for your next vacation.   Tell me about it." 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2020

Do people just forget how to have conversations?
    It has been almost 10 months since people were out in the world just living life and having new things to talk about.  LOL

On a serious note, that is one thing about this year that has been so hard.  I'm not having my normal conversations with anyone or keeping up my text or other messaging threads because it feels like everyone is very, 'SSDD' all the time.  It sucks.  
  • I don't really have any conspiracy theorists in my family, but there are certain topics I prefer not to talk about with certain family members. When I see them, I try to ask questions about how things are going with them or steer the conversation toward something we both find interesting so the touchy subjects don't come up. Not always easy, especially during this weird year, but it can be done.
  • Well, I wonder how it turned out. Because apparently the bombing in Nashville on Christmas morning was a plot about the election or something. Girlfriend must have had fresh theories to work out. 
  • Well, I wonder how it turned out. Because apparently the bombing in Nashville on Christmas morning was a plot about the election or something. Girlfriend must have had fresh theories to work out. 
    OMG, the utter failure of the Nashville PD and them ignoring/not thoroughly investigating a terrorist threat from over a year ago is blood boiling.  
  • “I think that’s a baseless conspiracy theory and I don’t want to talk about it.”  I just have no time for this nonsense. 
  • “I think that’s a baseless conspiracy theory and I don’t want to talk about it.”  I just have no time for this nonsense. 
    This and also practice NOT fixing your face when someone is saying something completely ridiculous. Even with a mask on, eyebrows can do a lot.  
  • I just say, "You don't say." Throw in a few, Really? Works for me.
  • FIL is a conspiracy theorist.
    My mum's bf is a flat earther.

We just .... don't. They know we disagree, things don't get brought up.
    How do they know we disagree? We told them.

"I disagree with your thoughts so let's not discuss it" is the nicest way