Chit Chat

I have some family in New York and the governor has strict restrictions...feel sad

I live in a state that is on the list that New York won't allow people to leave the state unless you quarantine for 2 weeks and then when you get back, you have to stay in quarantine for another 2 weeks. They actually have people on the lookout for people who don't follow these rules and then get fined $2,000. I know my sister really really wants to be there. People keep saying after election things will go back to normal. But just want to express my feelings. My fiance and I are aiming for late March or somewhere in April and our guest list is 40, but probably be less. What are you thoughts of when New York will cancel this rule?

Re: I have some family in New York and the governor has strict restrictions...feel sad

• What people are saying things will go back to normal after the election? People who think Covid is a hoax? Unfortunately, it is not a hoax and no one can predict when--or if--things will return to normal. A lot will depend on whether infections continue to increase and whether there will need to be more shutdowns.

I hope you will be able to have your wedding with all of your family there, but I would have a plan B if you really want to get married in April. 

I can't tell from your post if your sister lives in New York, or if you are hoping to get married in New York. Maybe there is another state that won't have the same quarantine rules? Or will allow people to come if they have a negative test within 48 hours?

Maine allows people from certain states to come in, and requires negative Covid tests from people not on the list of approved states who want to enter without the quarantine. I am sure there are other states with similar rules.
  • I live in a state that is on the list that New York won't allow people to leave the state unless you quarantine for 2 weeks and then when you get back, you have to stay in quarantine for another 2 weeks. They actually have people on the lookout for people who don't follow these rules and then get fined $2,000. I know my sister really really wants to be there. People keep saying after election things will go back to normal. But just want to express my feelings. My fiance and I are aiming for late March or somewhere in April and our guest list is 40, but probably be less. What are you thoughts of when New York will cancel this rule?
    I live in Western NY and the quarantine list isn’t going away anytime soon. If things are better in the state your sister is from then the state could get removed (some have been, some have been removed and added again) and you/she would be fine to travel. 

The rule for NY is that if you’re going in to NY from one of the states you have to quarantine before you can go anywhere in the state. And it is being strictly enforced (as it should be). It has nothing to do with once you return to the non-NY state. 

The election won’t have anything to do with this in NY because the governor is not up for re-election. 
  • This is not going to change after the election. That is fake information being spread by people who want to pretend that the virus is not real. Please take a few moments and fact check when you hear things like that. Most of these rumors are started maliciously, but are then further spread by well-meaning people who have no idea what they're talking about. Everyone should do their part to fact-check before believing this kind of thing.  

Unfortunately, no one knows when we will be able to go back to normal. With any luck there will be an effective, widely available vaccine within the next year, but that's still an uncertainty. You really can't plan anything for March/April with any real certainty right now, and travel will be one of the last things to normalize. If having people at your wedding that would have to travel is important to you, you should hold off for a while. That may mean 2022. The other option would be to just have the courthouse ceremony and wait until it's safe to plan a celebration party.

It sucks that there's no easy answer. Life in a pandemic just sucks. 
  • This is not going to change after the election. I live in NY and we were hit extremely hard in the spring. I'm turning 40 this month, and was hoping to be able to celebrate with family that lives out of state. I can't, and it sucks. But that's life right now. 
  • This is not going to change after the election. I live in NY and we were hit extremely hard in the spring. I'm turning 40 this month, and was hoping to be able to celebrate with family that lives out of state. I can't, and it sucks. But that's life right now. 
    Also the quarantine has been what is keeping our numbers down and infection rate declining; it’s not going away until rates are dropping in other states, too. 
  • I live in a state that is on the list that New York won't allow people to leave the state unless you quarantine for 2 weeks and then when you get back, you have to stay in quarantine for another 2 weeks. They actually have people on the lookout for people who don't follow these rules and then get fined $2,000. I know my sister really really wants to be there. People keep saying after election things will go back to normal. But just want to express my feelings. My fiance and I are aiming for late March or somewhere in April and our guest list is 40, but probably be less. What are you thoughts of when New York will cancel this rule?
    I hate to break it to you but anyone who thinks that the NY rules will change after the election is someone foolishly believing a bag of lies.   

NY isn't going to change the protocol and neither will NJ or CT.   Those are instituted by their governors and that isn't for two more years.  The tri state rules are nearly identical and all are saying that if you leave the state for one that is at high risk of contracting Covid, you must quarantine for two weeks upon return.   This means your sister would not even be able to go to the grocery store if she attended your wedding.      If I took my kids to a state that was high risk they'd be out of school for that time.  

Your options are unfortunately to plan a wedding you know your sister cannot attend, plan a wedding for a year from now and hope that things are better or move your wedding to NY and quarantine for two weeks before your wedding date not going anywhere until you walk down the aisle.    

Please don't put any guilt on your sister for this.    
  • Also, one other thing to consider with this is that in addition to the requirements that states have is that their employers may have additional requirements as well.   This can affect your sister or other guests. 

Right now my employer is requiring every employee who works on site to address their vacation plans with HR because those plans could force additional quarantine requirements for them upon arrival depending on where and how the employees traveled. .   Some of our employees are capable of working from home but others cannot.  That could mean that a 4 day weekend is suddenly requiring 12 days of PTO that many do not have.   

I know that there's an upcoming family wedding planned next year and if there's no vaccine, the virus is still in the middle of community spread and the event is inside, we may be declining.  

• banana468 said:
    Also, one other thing to consider with this is that in addition to the requirements that states have is that their employers may have additional requirements as well.   This can affect your sister or other guests. 

Right now my employer is requiring every employee who works on site to address their vacation plans with HR because those plans could force additional quarantine requirements for them upon arrival depending on where and how the employees traveled. .   Some of our employees are capable of working from home but others cannot.  That could mean that a 4 day weekend is suddenly requiring 12 days of PTO that many do not have.   

I know that there's an upcoming family wedding planned next year and if there's no vaccine, the virus is still in the middle of community spread and the event is inside, we may be declining.  

My employer too- all schools (including the one I work at and the one my kids' attend) have a daily health screening that has to be submitted before anyone can enter.  One of the questions is "have you traveled to a high-risk state in the last 14 days?".  If the answer is yes, you cannot go to school for two weeks.

OP, a lot of NYers/tri-staters are really thankful for the measures Cuomo has put in place.  In our area, weddings have truly been scaled back.  Agree with PP that nothing happening in November is going to change health and safety being the tri-state governors' priority.
  • ei34 said:
    banana468 said:
    Also, one other thing to consider with this is that in addition to the requirements that states have is that their employers may have additional requirements as well.   This can affect your sister or other guests. 

My employer too- all schools (including the one I work at and the one my kids' attend) have a daily health screening that has to be submitted before anyone can enter.  One of the questions is "have you traveled to a high-risk state in the last 14 days?".  If the answer is yes, you cannot go to school for two weeks.

OP, a lot of NYers/tri-staters are really thankful for the measures Cuomo has put in place.  In our area, weddings have truly been scaled back.  Agree with PP that nothing happening in November is going to change health and safety being the tri-state governors' priority.
    Those of us upstate, too!
  • I wish Greg Abbott didn't block similar measures down here in Texas. But he is not noted for intelligence or compassion.
  • ei34 said:
    banana468 said:

Those of us upstate, too!
    Yes of course!  I meant all of us across the state when I said NYers :) 
  • They will cancel the rule when Covid is under control. If anyone knew when that would be they'd be rich. I'm very happy to hear that your sister is taking this seriously.