Wedding Woes
Options

Back to work Tuesday

Hope everyone has a smooth day.  27 hours and 30 minutes til Trump is officially gone 🎉

Re: Back to work Tuesday

• Options
    I'm definitely not in a work mood today. Have some stuff to get done that's due by the end of the month but I need things from other people before I can do it. I hate the hurry up and wait aspect of a lot of the work I do sometimes. 

Work just announced some promotions - the bitter person in me wants to ask if they got a raise since I didnt LOL Maybe someday I'll move on from it. maybe. 
  • Options
    I'm so happy I get to work from home tomorrow so I can watch CNN all day..haha. 

Today is second Monday. I'm tired. 
  • Options
    Also, am I the only parent who really wants her child to see the inauguration who also fears that this may still be riddled with security concerns? 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Also, am I the only parent who really wants her child to see the inauguration who also fears that this may still be riddled with security concerns? 
    Not at all. I mean, my kid is too young, but I feel the same way. I really want to watch it happen but I also feel apprehensive as if we’re waiting for something terrible to happen. 
  • Options
    Back to work- yesterday was so lovely snuggling with the baby. We’ve got a ton of snow and more coming tonight. Not that it really impacts my life anymore since I’m not going in to work, but it is nice to look at. 

I’m apprehensive about tomorrow, like I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop. Surely things are not just going to go smoothly for the next 27 hours are they? 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Tomorrow is one of our days at home and so we easily could watch it live. But yes, I do feel tentative. 5 is old enough to understand something going wrong but maybe not to process it.
  • Options
    I'm counting down the hours, hoping for no violence tomorrow. I had heard that Sunday was supposed to be some planned activities or something, so I'm glad there was no news of massive violence over the weekend. 

A friend of mine lost her father to covid yesterday. I'm so, so sad for her and have no idea what to do. Dropping off food and wine just seems so little, but I don't know what else there is to do. 

We had a nice long weekend. It was dry and sunny, so we got to go for a hike and spend time outside. We're thinking of trying to learn golf this spring. Does anyone play golf? 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I think with how many police/security agencies are involved for the inauguration, we don't have to worry. Essentially the area of the Capitol has been shut down for a while now, with many streets not even open to traffic and added checkpoints to the ones that are open. I have a friend that's a cameraman for a news channel, and he's shared some posts about the security measures in DC. Also, we're not just talking about the Capitol police or the MPD. The secret service will be on detail, including all the national guard that were deployed last week. 
  • Options
    Yesterday was a normal work day for me (unfortunately), so this is a typical Tuesday.

Assuming it is safe to do so, it has coincidentally worked out that my H has to be at City Hall tomorrow, of all days (sigh).  I complained about her last week, but we have a fairly new tenant who hasn't paid January's rent.  She also hasn't contacted us.  Not even once.  We served her the official Pay or Quit notice last week and tomorrow is the first day we are eligible to file for the eviction.  We're really nervous about it.  This is the first time I've had to deal with an eviction since the pandemic started.  Pre-pandemic, your court date would be about 3-5 weeks after filing...which already feels like an eternity when someone is stealing your services...but I'm worried about how long it takes nowadays to get a court date.

Other than that, not much else going on.  It should be a fairly mellow work day.  I should also be getting my definite date/time for the cash-out refinance closing I'm doing this week.

This is SO weird and maybe another fallout from the pandemic.  In Orleans parish (county), property taxes are paid in advance and are all due on Jan. 31st.  The notices/bills usually go out in December.  Except they still haven't been sent (eyeroll).  I just went to the website and they finally have the amount due.  They didn't last week.  Apparently they've also extended the due date to Feb. 28th.

That's okay, NOLA.  Don't get up off your recliner to issue a press release or mail out your invoices.  I know you're busy stuffing dirty money in your freezer that you stole from your citizens.  Don't you fret none.  I'll just look all my property taxes up, my damn self.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Banana - You are not alone.  DD is home this week and I don't know about letting her watch.  She is only 3, so she probably doesn't get it at all anyway.  I did see that Nickelodeon is having some sort of recap thing.  They will also have something before the inauguration too.

I was technically off yesterday, but still had to work and even make a run to FedEx to ship out some exhibits for a deposition today.  DD's Covid test was yesterday and we are waiting for the results.  The dr said the turnaround time is about 24 hours, so hopefully we will hear back soon.  She has been fine, so the only thing I'm worried about is her being an asymptomatic carrier.

We got our attic work started.  We mapped out the location of the ceiling fans and got the boxes installed.  H next needs to run the wiring to each box and then we will start putting the fans together.
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    I'm on pins and needles wondering who's going to get pardoned today. 
    On the other side of that coin.  He also used his executive power to have some people on Federal death row executed.  13 executions from July-Dec 2020.  He ordered the execution for at least three more people since then.  2 out of those last 3 were deemed to sick at this time to be executed.  The third person was executed last week.

I mean, I know it's Trump, but being concerned you haven't executed enough people still strikes me as an odd priority for him to focus on before leaving office.

Stat from the Orange County Register (Dec. 7, 2020):  "13 executions since July when the Republican administration resumed putting inmates to death after a 17-year hiatus and will cement Trump’s legacy as the most prolific execution president in over 130 years."     
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy how do the eviction bans affect this, if anything? 
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    That's a misunderstanding a lot of people have.  And I'm wondering if this tenant is one of them (side-eye).  Federally, there is a CDC eviction moratorium until Jan. 31st.  I'm sure our court date will be after that.  But even that moratorium doesn't ban evictions.  If a tenant wants to be protected under it, they have to sign an affidavit that they meet ALL of the requirements and give it to me, on or before the court date.  And there are quite a few requirements.  Here they are, with my comments about her situation italicized:
    • Make less than $99,000 (or $198,000 if you file a joint tax return) -- True
    • Be unable to make full rent “due to substantial loss of household income, loss of compensable hours of work or wages, a lay-off, or extraordinary out-of-pocket medical expenses” -- I highly doubt it.  She's been with her employer for years and they were glowing about her.  Also not a job I'd think would be affected.
    • Be making an effort to make timely, partial rent payments. -- BIG NOPE.  This alone disqualifies her.  She has not contacted me at all.  Much less about payment arrangements.
    • Be at risk of homelessness or at risk of having to double up with others in cramped, close quarters if you were evicted. -- Don't know.

There are states and some cities that have banned all/most evictions.  But that isn't the case for the vast majority of the US, including Louisiana.

I know Biden has talked about extending the eviction moratorium until Sept.  I assume he is talking about the CDC one, but there is really no telling.  There have been no details.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    On the other side of that coin.  He also used his executive power to have some people on Federal death row executed.  13 executions from July-Dec 2020.  He ordered the execution for at least three more people since then.  2 out of those last 3 were deemed to sick at this time to be executed.  The third person was executed last week.

I mean, I know it's Trump, but being concerned you haven't executed enough people still strikes me as an odd priority for him to focus on before leaving office.

Stat from the Orange County Register (Dec. 7, 2020):  "13 executions since July when the Republican administration resumed putting inmates to death after a 17-year hiatus and will cement Trump’s legacy as the most prolific execution president in over 130 years."     
    Yup.  As someone who has been pretty clearly pro-life I am dismayed that my parents' priest speaks in his homilies about the dangers of electing a pro-choice President.  Biden isn't ordering abortions.  Trump is ordering the executions.  Biden is not ordering the caging and separation of children from their parents.  Trump is.   It makes me bang my head on a wall at racist Abby Johnson and all who want to chastise Biden and laud Trump.  
    It's fully delusional to think that our outgoing president would ever be spearheading the "culture of life" we're supposed to be building.

Our new archbishop just wrote an editorial for yesterday essentially saying that, "Bring that same energy to racial justice too (you know, it is possible to care about more than one thing) and we might start to get somewhere with human dignity."
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Yup.  As someone who has been pretty clearly pro-life I am dismayed that my parents' priest speaks in his homilies about the dangers of electing a pro-choice President.  Biden isn't ordering abortions.  Trump is ordering the executions.  Biden is not ordering the caging and separation of children from their parents.  Trump is.   It makes me bang my head on a wall at racist Abby Johnson and all who want to chastise Biden and laud Trump.  
    It's fully delusional to think that our outgoing president would ever be spearheading the "culture of life" we're supposed to be building.

Our new archbishop just wrote an editorial for yesterday essentially saying that, "Bring that same energy to racial justice too (you know, it is possible to care about more than one thing) and we might start to get somewhere with human dignity."
    Also that.  Because you cannot be a Christian and a racist and EWTN has executed some seriously questionable judgment in their programming decisions recently.  

I do not wish to engage in any form of moral relativism.   The point is that valuing life means valuing life and if you come up with reasons that some are less deserving of what we consider an absolute then you are LITERALLY failing to practice what you preach. 

In engaging with Jeannie Gaffigan today on Twitter the comment was that we should still be praying that rosary.    I couldn't agree more. 
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    That's a misunderstanding a lot of people have.  And I'm wondering if this tenant is one of them (side-eye).  Federally, there is a CDC eviction moratorium until Jan. 31st.  I'm sure our court date will be after that.  But even that moratorium doesn't ban evictions.  If a tenant wants to be protected under it, they have to sign an affidavit that they meet ALL of the requirements and give it to me, on or before the court date.  And there are quite a few requirements.  Here they are, with my comments about her situation italicized:
    • Be unable to make full rent “due to substantial loss of household income, loss of compensable hours of work or wages, a lay-off, or extraordinary out-of-pocket medical expenses” -- I highly doubt it.  She's been with her employer for years and they were glowing about her.  Also not a job I'd think would be affected.
    • Be making an effort to make timely, partial rent payments. -- BIG NOPE.  This alone disqualifies her.  She has not contacted me at all.  Much less about payment arrangements.
    • Be at risk of homelessness or at risk of having to double up with others in cramped, close quarters if you were evicted. -- Don't know.

There are states and some cities that have banned all/most evictions.  But that isn't the case for the vast majority of the US, including Louisiana.

I know Biden has talked about extending the eviction moratorium until Sept.  I assume he is talking about the CDC one, but there is really no telling.  There have been no details.
    cool, thanks for sharing! I figured it couldn't be a blanket "no one can be evicted" because that didn't seem right on the landlord side so this is good to know about the parameters. I would hope that the cities/states that have their own bans also have qualifiers like these so that it helps those that truly need the help but it won't harm landlords with people trying to game the system. 
  • Options
    kvruns said:

And in this situation you have no idea what's going on right?  She could be completely avoiding you or an actual missing person at this point? 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Also that.  Because you cannot be a Christian and a racist and EWTN has executed some seriously questionable judgment in their programming decisions recently.  

I do not wish to engage in any form of moral relativism.   The point is that valuing life means valuing life and if you come up with reasons that some are less deserving of what we consider an absolute then you are LITERALLY failing to practice what you preach. 

In engaging with Jeannie Gaffigan today on Twitter the comment was that we should still be praying that rosary.    I couldn't agree more. 
    Agreed. I think Anna Mitchell is pretty good, but if the cost is Gloria Purvis, expanding Anna's show is not the right move. And we all know why they did it, even if (and actually kind of because) they refuse to say.

Have you seen the And Campaign? It's almost entirely BIPOC and their whole thing (as you may be able to infer from the name) is that we have to uphold both X&Y together in the Christian faith. I really appreciated one of the founders tweeting yesterday, "People are suffering from injustice around us and too many Christians are arguing about why it’s not their fault. It doesn’t have to be your fault to be your commission."
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Agreed. I think Anna Mitchell is pretty good, but if the cost is Gloria Purvis, expanding Anna's show is not the right move. And we all know why they did it, even if (and actually kind of because) they refuse to say.

Have you seen the And Campaign? It's almost entirely BIPOC and their whole thing (as you may be able to infer from the name) is that we have to uphold both X&Y together in the Christian faith. I really appreciated one of the founders tweeting yesterday, "People are suffering from injustice around us and too many Christians are arguing about why it’s not their fault. It doesn’t have to be your fault to be your commission."
    I didn't hear of it!  I'll start to look into it. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    kvruns said:

And in this situation you have no idea what's going on right?  She could be completely avoiding you or an actual missing person at this point? 
    Yes, I have no idea what is going on.  But she doesn't live alone so I assume she is not missing.  Her dad and son also live with her.  Her dad also signed the lease, but she is the only one we have communicated with about any pertinent matters, related to the rental.  Her son didn't sign the lease, though his name is on it as another person who can reside there.  He's an adult, but only 20.

Even if by some off chance she has been incapacitated for the last two weeks, our phone number and address are on the Pay or Quit notice that was posted on their front door.  Either the son or father could have also gotten in touch with us, if they didn't already have our contact info.

Strange things can happen.  But all signs point to she is avoiding us, which isn't something I tolerate.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    kvruns said:

cool, thanks for sharing! I figured it couldn't be a blanket "no one can be evicted" because that didn't seem right on the landlord side so this is good to know about the parameters. I would hope that the cities/states that have their own bans also have qualifiers like these so that it helps those that truly need the help but it won't harm landlords with people trying to game the system. 
    Unfortunately, that is exactly what it is in some places.  It is grossly unfair and there is a lot of outrage in the real estate (re) investing community.  I belong to a big international RE forum community...though it's mostly the US and Canada...and there are landlords on there who had evictions in the works before the pandemic.  But all evictions have been halted this whole time where their properties are and they've been stuck with tenants who haven't paid rent in over a year.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    kvruns said:

Yes, I have no idea what is going on.  But she doesn't live alone so I assume she is not missing.  Her dad and son also live with her.  Her dad also signed the lease, but she is the only one we have communicated with about any pertinent matters, related to the rental.  Her son didn't sign the lease, though his name is on it as another person who can reside there.  He's an adult, but only 20.

Even if by some off chance she has been incapacitated for the last two weeks, our phone number and address are on the Pay or Quit notice that was posted on their front door.  Either the son or father could have also gotten in touch with us, if they didn't already have our contact info.

Strange things can happen.  But all signs point to she is avoiding us, which isn't something I tolerate.
    Got it.  My concern in these times is if she could be hospitalized with Covid.  But if there are two other people living there and there's been no contact I agree whatever is going on is not OK. 

Can you go back and see if they're actually there?  
  • Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2021
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    kvruns said:

Got it.  My concern in these times is if she could be hospitalized with Covid.  But if there are two other people living there and there's been no contact I agree whatever is going on is not OK. 

Can you go back and see if they're actually there?  
    My husband was at the property on Thurs., last week, and yesterday.  Not for them.  It's a duplex and we needed to do a major repair on the exterior of the other unit.

But he looked through their front windows (from the driveway, he wasn't creepy, lol) and said the front room furniture was still there, like it always is.  It didn't look like they were in the middle of moving or anything like that.  Their car wasn't there, but that wouldn't have necessarily been unusual because she works a typical 8-5 weekday job.

Edited to add:  On three different occasions, I've had tenants chose the "Quit" option of the Pay or Quit notice.  For two of those, the tenant was in touch with me the whole time about the day they were leaving and what was happening.  But one of them just left without informing me.  However, all their stuff was gone, so it was obvious they had left.

On a different topic.  That repair on the other unit.  Ugh!  It was an old shed that was falling apart and needed to be demolished.  Sounds like NBD, right?  It shouldn't have been, but it was because the shed had been built into the side the of the house!  It shared the roofline.  There was also no exterior to the house where the shed was.  My H is extremely handy, but it was too advanced a job for even him to handle.  We ended up having to hire it out for $1400 (includes materials).  That was an unexpected ouch!  That work was done on Friday, though my H wasn't there for it.

But that shed was also where the hot water heater was for that unit.  So he was back out there yesterday to put the hot water heater into one of those protective metal boxes.

Moral of the story.  Sheds should be separate structures, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker