Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Wedding Website RSVP Launch

Hello everyone! We just sent out virtual save the dates via paperlesspost. Since our guests will have to travel for our wedding, we have included a link to our website for lodging and travel information. Is it too early to make the online RSVP option available to guests? Or, is it more appropriate to wait until the formal invitations have been sent?

Re: Wedding Website RSVP Launch

• Options
    Hello everyone! We just sent out virtual save the dates via paperlesspost. Since our guests will have to travel for our wedding, we have included a link to our website for lodging and travel information. Is it too early to make the online RSVP option available to guests? Or, is it more appropriate to wait until the formal invitations have been sent?
    Wait until the formal invitations get sent. Everyone is always "I will absolutely be there!" in the beginning, but then real life sets in and sometimes they may not be able to come.
  • Options
    Wait. You really don't need to know (for catering reasons) who will be attending until 2 weeks before the event. 
  • Options
    Definitely wait.  Given the current state of the world I'm making no commitments to travel and would guess most people aren't. 
  • Options
    I agree you should wait. As @missJeanLouise said, sometimes people's plans change. You don't want to have to sort through who said they were coming at one time and later are saying they can't make it, or vice versa. 
  • Options
    ALWAYS wait until formal invitations are sent!  You never know when a current administration (anywhere in the world right now) is going to lock things down again and you'd be SOL..  
  • Options
    Wait until the formal invitations get sent. Everyone is always "I will absolutely be there!" in the beginning, but then real life sets in and sometimes they may not be able to come.
    This, exactly. Especially with travel, so many people will say "for sure!" several months out, but then when the reality of booking flights and spending money comes up, they back out. 

If you open up the RSVP now, you set yourself up for the potential for those people to RSVP yes, but forget or not change it when the actual invites come out, leaving you with no-shows. 

If you want to put something interactive on your website, you could put a silly poll or something unrelated to attendance. 
  • Options
    I would wait. It's hard for people to be sure so far in advance that they can attend, especially in view of Covid.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone! I felt it was too soon, but I really have 0 idea of how to plan an event like this so I was not sure. I really appreciate everyone's help!