Wedding Woes

Ooh, he's gaslighting you.

Dear Prudence,

I have been with my partner for 11 years, and for nine of those years, he has attended college full-time. He has two undergraduate degrees and a few different certifications, but nothing that has translated into gainful employment. One of my friends called him a “professional student,” and I felt this was an appropriate description. He is not working toward any particular goal beyond taking as many classes as he can, indefinitely. I’m getting tired of being the sole provider in our household. We barely have enough income to support the two of us and certainly nothing to put in savings. My partner takes out loans to pay for school, and he doesn’t want to discuss exactly how much he owes because “you can’t put a price on knowledge.” I have asked him to get a part-time job and scale back on the classes, but he says this would not be fulfilling and a life that is not fulfilling is not worth living. He has even told me that I am falling victim to “toxic rhetoric” that judges a man’s worth based on his ability to provide financially. Other than this conflict, we typically agree on most things and he is a loving and supportive partner. Am I in the wrong here? Is there any way we can argue more effectively about this? I suspect that deep down, the endless classes are his way of avoiding having to get a job and take on adult responsibilities, as he has made remarks before about “The Man” and not wanting to be a “drone.”

—Professional Student

Re: Ooh, he's gaslighting you.

• I ageee with LW.  Nothing wrong with going to school, and asking for PT employment for some sort of financial help is not uncalled for. 

Infact M and I already had this talk, and we already discussed that if we moved intogether and he decided to go back to school, he’d have to know how to balance PT school and a PT job.  

• mrsconn23 said:

Maybe he should go be with video game guy. 
    FTW!
  • LW needs to lay down the boundary.
    They were nice to give them the option of part time and still be in school
  • mrsconn23 said:
    I hope they're not married, because he's racking up a LOT of debt (which he's being evasive about to boot).  LW definitely needs to DTMA.  Maybe he should go be with video game guy. 
    So idk if the states is different, but in Canada unless LW is on the debt - it doesn't matter if they're married. LW is liable for it.
    M & I have separate debt that neither are liable for, we also have joint debt.
  • I hope-hope-hope-hope for the LW that they are not married to their partner.  It will make it so much easier to leave him with all of his debt, move out, and move on.

You "suspect that deep down" he is trying to avoid getting a job and being an adult?  That is neither a suspicion or a deep down feeling.  That is a fact in 12' high neon red letters and the flags to match.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There’s nothing wrong with furthering his education; there is something significantly wrong with the fact that he isn’t contributing at all to shared expenses and doesn’t seem keen on doing so in the future. This isn’t about a man providing it’s about him expecting you to foot the bill for his lifestyle. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    I hope they're not married, because he's racking up a LOT of debt (which he's being evasive about to boot).  LW definitely needs to DTMA.  Maybe he should go be with video game guy. 
    So idk if the states is different, but in Canada unless LW is on the debt - it doesn't matter if they're married. LW is liable for it.
    It's the same in the states that you aren't liable to the creditor for your spouse's debts unless you sign for them, but it's still marital debt. So say they get divorced and there's a house. The divorce court can order them to sell the house, pay off all this debt, and then divide the remaining proceeds. They may also consider the debt when dividing other assets. LW says that partner is partially living off student loans, so a divorce court could order LW to pay a portion of them or offset the debt in dividing retirement to account for the amount of student loans that went toward buying groceries or whatever. 

Even outside of divorce, if partner defaults on this debt, the creditor can come for any assets in his name, even if they're joint. So lien on the house or car, levy bank accounts and tax returns, and so on. 
  • You say “partner” which I hope means you aren’t married, so leave him! He is a useless leach who will never stop sucking you dry
  • mrsconn23 said:
    It's the same in the states that you aren't liable to the creditor for your spouse's debts unless you sign for them, but it's still marital debt. So say they get divorced and there's a house. The divorce court can order them to sell the house, pay off all this debt, and then divide the remaining proceeds. They may also consider the debt when dividing other assets. LW says that partner is partially living off student loans, so a divorce court could order LW to pay a portion of them or offset the debt in dividing retirement to account for the amount of student loans that went toward buying groceries or whatever. 

Even outside of divorce, if partner defaults on this debt, the creditor can come for any assets in his name, even if they're joint. So lien on the house or car, levy bank accounts and tax returns, and so on. 
    Oh. See none of this is same in Canada - only CRA {taxes} can put a lien on your house and bank accounts.

If M defaults on debt only in his name, that's his problem. I'm not involved. If it's joint, yes I am liable because my name is on it.
  • There’s nothing wrong with furthering his education; there is something significantly wrong with the fact that he isn’t contributing at all to shared expenses and doesn’t seem keen on doing so in the future. This isn’t about a man providing it’s about him expecting you to foot the bill for his lifestyle. 
    Good point!  There is definitely nothing wrong with two people having an agreement of, "I make enough to comfortably support us.  You enjoy taking classes.  Keep on doing what you love and I'll pay the bills."

But the major problem is the LW never agreed to that or at least never agreed for it to continue on for 9 years.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker