Illinois-Chicago

Venue cancellation policy

Hello everyone! My fiance and I have found the perfect venue for our Oct 2022 wedding. The only issue is that there is a locktight "no cancellations" policy. With planning being complicated by the pandemic, and the wedding being 20 months away, we're having a hard time signing. The contract stipulates that are no refunds available at any time and that even if the wedding is cancelled we're still on the hook for the full payment. Is this common for a Chicago (city) venue? What do your venue's cancellation policies look like, if you have one?

Re: Venue cancellation policy

• Hello everyone! My fiance and I have found the perfect venue for our Oct 2022 wedding. The only issue is that there is a locktight "no cancellations" policy. With planning being complicated by the pandemic, and the wedding being 20 months away, we're having a hard time signing. The contract stipulates that are no refunds available at any time and that even if the wedding is cancelled we're still on the hook for the full payment. Is this common for a Chicago (city) venue? What do your venue's cancellation policies look like, if you have one?

That is not common as a general rule.  Most venues will require a deposit.  Some require additional monies quarterly as the date nears.  I think especially considering how unknown things sit at the moment, I would not consider signing such a contract.