Wedding Woes

I wish I had it as 'easy' as my GF.

Dear Prudence,

I’m a trans woman. I started hormones about a year and a half ago. When my partner and I got together, we both identified as men, but she recently came out as a trans woman, too. She started hormone replacement therapy a few months ago. I’m so happy for her and overjoyed that we can share this experience. But even though I try not to compare us, I can’t help but feel jealous of her transition. After all this time, I’ve experienced what feel like minimal changes and haven’t met any goals. I don’t pass, and I may never pass. But in just a few months, my girlfriend is flying past milestones that are still so out of my reach. I’ve experienced every unpleasant side effect, while it seems like she hasn’t had any. I know everyone has individual responses to HRT, and that none of this is her fault, but I can’t shake my sadness and envy. Any tips on how to support her without seeing “what could have been”?

—Not a Race, but She’s Ahead

Re: I wish I had it as 'easy' as my GF.

• VarunaTT said:
    LW needs to discuss this in therapy with a therapist specializing in trans issues.  I'm sure this is common amongst the general community, but it's intense happening in a relationship.
    Yes.  This is going to be hard and I can only compare it to hormone changes that women go through in life changes.  Some don't have issues and others do.  LW needs the assistance of a therapist skilled in this and potentially her physician.