Wedding Woes
Options

You're in an abusive situation. Covid is just the current excuse.

Dear Prudence,

My wife of eight years is an ICU nurse. She is amazing—but ever since the pandemic began, she has been coming home angry and overwhelmed. I work from home and am in grad school full-time. I work 60-hour weeks. It’s hard for me to cook and care for our family, but I do my best. I drop her lunch off every day, so she can eat hot food and have good coffee. I write her notes and tell her how much I appreciate her hard work. I clean the house and care for the dogs and our kids. I rub her back after each shift and either cook or order dinner. But nothing works to quell her bad mood. She yells at me, the kids, and the dogs. She’s snappy for the remainder of the night. If I cry or shut down to avoid her anger, she gets angry that I am walking on eggshells. She says I make her “feel like a fucking bully.” We got a couple’s counselor. I also have my own. I’m a little “therapied” out right now.

One recent evening, I told her how sad I was about something rude my thesis advisor said, and she shouted that I “bring it on myself.” Later she texted that she was tired from work and apologized. I slept on the couch. I’m tired of our nights ending like this. I can’t imagine being a nurse right now and want to support her, but it’s almost more than I can bear. The kids just go to their rooms, and I can tell they like their mom a lot less. What can I do?

—Trying to Help

Re: You're in an abusive situation. Covid is just the current excuse.

• Options
    In couples counseling you need to lay out the issues you see. 
    -You yelled at the kids and after you did they did X , Y and Z.  
    -When I brought up an issue you told me I brought it on myself. 

The only thing I'd consider is addressing her when she appears to be in a good mood to state, "I get that you are having stress right now.  It has to be hard.  I also need to talk to you about my stress in a way that you validate it and not belittle it." 

If that only leads to abuse I think the next counselor should be an attorney. 
  • Options
    Honestly, I think LW needs to ask her to leave.  Not get divorced yet, but a separation needs to happen.  Children and animals do not need to be subjected to this kind of distress. 

I feel awful that she's having such a terrible response to I'm sure what's been a year+ of daily trauma, but she's traumatizing her entire household with her behavior and the dominoes need to stop falling. 
  • Options
    It sounds like she is having a trauma response to her work environment, which is completely understandable given what she does. However your kids are now in an environment where they may no longer feel safe and that needs to be prioritized over your wife. It sounds like your wife needs individual counseling and possibly to live elsewhere if she can’t control her rage around the kids and the dog. 
  • Options
    "You make me feel like a fucking bully." "Then quit being such a fucking bully." 

I'm team DTMFA. Even if this is all brand new post covid, it's been a year. She's in counselling at least with LW, and has the opportunity to see what her behavior is doing and explore ways to cope without attacking LW. Instead, she's just doubling down.