Wedding Woes
Options

I'm not sure your FI truly understands what you need.

Dear Prudence,

I love my fiancée very much, and she means the world to me. I’ve been out as non-binary for some years, and privately I am reasonably sure I want to transition. I constantly dream about just waking up as a woman, and I think about it every night before bed. Sometimes I cry when I’m alone about the fact that people see me as a man. The only person who has any idea how bad things are is my fiancée. We’ve talked about it before, and in the past I’ve said I didn’t want to transition. I have some open and supportive people in my life and some who are a lot less accepting, and I’m scared about losing any of them. But now that I’m staring down 30, my attitude is changing quite a bit. My dysphoria is getting pretty bad. I’m still unsure about some things, but I want to spend the next half of my life being myself.

During a conversation about transitioning about a year ago, my fiancée said she would support me and stay with me but effectively begged me to not get surgery. She is rather fond of my genitals and just made it seem like if I transitioned she would feel our relationship would lose something. Now I’m scared of bringing transition up again. I love her immensely, and the idea of losing her scares me, but if I make this choice, I need to commit to it. How should I broach this subject, and what should I do if it goes south?

—Nervous About Transitioning

Re: I'm not sure your FI truly understands what you need.

• Options
    You and your FI need therapy.  Your decision on this should not be influenced by her but you also need to be honest with her as well.  

This is a big deal to her and for many people there are aspects of a relationship that may be hard lines and deal breakers for the romantic aspects and it's best to tell her this now vs. after longer term commitments are made.  

• Options
    Therapy is definitely needed here.  Perhaps both individual and couples.  It's a terrible decision but, ultimately, the LW needs to come to terms with whether they want to transition or not before getting married.  I'm not saying that means they could "never" change their mind, but they need to at least plan for that to be a lifetime choice since presumably their fiancee is romantically attracted to men.   

TBH, it sounds like transition is what would be healthiest for the LW because their thoughts are pretty consumed with becoming a woman.  

A couple things that rubbed me the wrong way on both their parts.  The fiancee shouldn't "beg" the LW not to transition, though it is fair for her to say she might leave and/or it would take something away from the relationship for her.  At the same time, that was sh***y of the LW to say "rather fond of my genitals", as if the fiancee's attraction all just boils down to the LW's d**k.  That's neither fair nor true.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Therapy.  It will be a rough journey.

I've seen relationships with this work out and I've seen them fail.  But LW shouldn't get farther down the road with the relationship until they know what they want to do.