Wedding Woes
Options

Start hanging up, walking away, backing off...they won't change.

Dear Prudence,

I married my partner in a quiet online ceremony due to COVID. I’m a man, she’s a woman, and we had decided beforehand that I would take her last name. We had a few reasons for this decision, one of them being that her name would sound like a famous comic book character (think “Lois Lane”) if she had taken mine. We didn’t mention this except to a few friends, since it didn’t seem like big news. My family never asked, and I never thought to mention it, so they heard about it for the first time on our wedding day when the officiant announced our names. They seemed shocked but were quiet at the time.

Since then, they have raised the subject well over a hundred times. My mom actually phoned me in tears asking why I had “rejected our family name,” while my dad constantly implies that my lovely wife (whom he previously really liked) is a monstrous control freak. My mom and brother are both horrified that I didn’t “insist” our future children “carry on my name,” and when I’ve tried to remind them that we are not actually a monarchical dynasty, they switch tactics and claim that we must simply prefer my wife’s family to mine. Honestly, right now, that’s true, because her family have responded perfectly reasonably, while mine are behaving like this. I’ve taken to ending conversations with my parents and brother when they raise the issue, which has been every single conversation. My wife was very upset the last time we spoke because they shouted at her for “emasculating” me. I’m anxious that they not get a chance to yell at her again. Can you advise me on a way to firmly shut down this topic once and for all? It’s been six months now. I feel like I’ve told them repeatedly, “We’re not discussing this,” in every call, and I’m at my wits’ end. We were close before, but they seem willing to die on this hill and are actually begging me to change my name back if I won’t “reason” with my wife.

—Ivanhoe the Disinherited

Re: Start hanging up, walking away, backing off...they won't change.

• Options
    "We made the decision as a couple and we won't discuss it further".
  • Options
    "If I wanted your input regarding this I would have asked.  The matter is not up for discussion and I didn't request your opinions.  Kindly keep them to yourselves as further insults will only force me to screen your calls and minimize any future contact." 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    I don't believe LW for a second 'didn't think' to mention this to his family and thought it wouldn't be a 'big deal'.  While I love seeing an increasing amount of people forgoing tradition of it having to be the man's family name and coming up with creative ideas to create something of their own, it's not the norm.  LW knew their family was not down with this and did kind of 'spring' it on them at the wedding. 

I am not defending LW's family's reaction, however it doesn't feel like LW is being truly honest about their intent in not saying anything to their family.  I get why they were hesitant about saying anything knowing their family dynamics, but own your decisions.  All of them. 

If you were truly OK with it, you would not let this ragging go on for 6+ months and allow your family to get to your wife to say nasty shit to her.  I'm not saying LW is doubting their decision, but they need to get a plan in place to manage their family, yesterday. 

Also that.  It is the first time I've ever heard of this happening so it most likely is a situation that they need to absorb.

And LW could do better to get them to understand the rationale behind it.  But the constant barrage from the family wouldn't endear me to them. 
  • Options
    If you’re still putting yourself and you’re wife in a situation where your family can throw misogynistic and abusive comments at her then you are tolerating this behavior. Clearly telling them to stop hadn’t worked. So stop seeing them until it does. They don’t have to like your choices but they do need to treat you and your wife with respect. Insist on it or don’t see/ talk to them.