Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress shopping timeframe

My wedding is next September (2022) and because of everything that has happened with the pandemic, I wonder if it is too soon to shop for my gown. When would it be recommended to shop for the dress??

Re: Dress shopping timeframe

• 8-10mo prior to your wedding is about the timeframe to go with for the simple reason that it gives you plenty of time to order something in, and you'll know roughly where you'll be at for sizing and getting the proper fit.  
  • My daughter was only engaged for 6 months so obviously she only had that timeline. I think it is too early for you to be seriously shopping right now. You could lose or gain weight between now and then. I would wait until 8 months prior.
  • My daughter was only engaged for 6 months so obviously she only had that timeline. I think it is too early for you to be seriously shopping right now. You could lose or gain weight between now and then. I would wait until 8 months prior.
    Adding to this OP - even if you walked into a bridal store on Tuesday, unless you're a unique size, you'd still be able to get a dress for Friday/Saturday...  Sure, it'll cost you a heck of a lot more because of the rush, but nsjs...  
  • Fellow September 2022 bride here 🤚🙋🏼‍♀️ I think now is a perfect time to start shopping. It might take a while to find your dress, get it made and delivered (finding off the rack I think is hard to do), and get all the alterations for fit or minor changes (changing color of lining, changing sleeves and bodice, etc.) I started shopping this week, and here's what I can tell you.

Most places I went to don't carry many sizes. Mostly they carried larger sizes to clip so they can keep they're in-house inventory low (a lot didn't even carry plus sizes).

One store told me their time-line was about 9-10 months, but most were in the ballpark of 3-6, leaving 3 months for alterations. It's normal to do alterations 3-4 months out then have 1-2 follow up size checks to make sure everything is still in good shape for any changes we may have (losing or gaining, or anything we don't like).

You can get lucky and find something off the rack, but I wouldn't count on it. I think 9-12 months gives you a bit more time, which is less stressful. While it's entirely possibly to buy off the rack and have a shorter time frame (I found a dress I loved that nearly fit my petite frame of 5'0"), by and large, most dresses will likely need to be special ordered in your size, color, and any changes to length/train. 
  • Only just realized this was an older post 🤦🏼‍♀️ Sorry, I'm new. Hope your dress shopping  was/is/will be fun and not stressful!