Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Opinions on a "reception" 1 year later

My hubby and I got married 10/10/20 in a very downsized wedding (from 110 to 25 people including us) due to the pandemic. We had an amazing day, with an outdoor ceremony and restaurant reception.
At the time we had told all of our vendors and uninvited guests that we were still planning a party, but 10/10/21 for our 1 year instead. Everyone has given gifts and all the deposits have been paid and re-upped contracts.

Problem is, we're both now pretty sure we don't want to bother with it. The amount of money we would still need to dump in (about 10k), the unknown with vaccines and the pandemic, friends of ours are getting married just outside of vegas the weekend after, and we just don't feel like we need to do it. We've both met each other's families so there's no reason we can really think of other than politeness to go through with it.

What is everyone's thoughts? And how would you word a note that says it's cancelled?
Thanks!

Re: Opinions on a "reception" 1 year later

• Options
    Well, as for your vendors, you will lose your deposits obviously.  Other than that and letting them know asap you don't owe them anything else. As for your guests, did you send out formal invitations about the new party or just something saying it will be replanned? I think if you cancel the party, you should send a note explaining that you still don't feel comfortable having party and there are no current plans to have one. I am assuming your larger guest list knows that you got married in a smaller ceremony, they sent gifts and you sent thank you notes appropriately. If not, you need to let them know that you already got married. There is nothing wrong with deciding not to have the party. I'm guessing a lot of couples will end up doing this exact thing.
  • Options
    It's totally fine to cancel the party. It seems so important leading up to getting married, but once you're married and life goes on, the amount of money for one day can seem so silly. 

For guests, if you've already mailed an invitation or STD, I would send a card that says "X and Y were married at a private ceremony on Z. The celebration party on 10/10/21 will not be taking place as planned." If you haven't already mailed anything, just circulate by word of mouth that you decided against the big celebration after all. Although your reasons are totally valid, you aren't obligated to share them with anyone. There's also no need to return wedding gifts. 

You probably will be stuck with vendors, but check your contracts and see if you have options. You may be able to "sell" your spot to other couples or otherwise recoup some of the deposits.