Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Getting excited for 9/2021 post-C-19 reception...?

Hi all, 

I know I am not nearly the first or only person to have this "problem," but I'm not super savvy with forums and couldn't seem to find an existing thread that specifically addressed this issue. 

My husband and I originally planned our wedding for September of 2020, which obviously could not occur as planned. We went ahead with a small ceremony (12 people, including us) in an outdoor park, I wore my dress, we exchanged rings, had cake, etc. It was lovely! We have postponed our larger reception to September of 2021, and luckily, all of our vendors were able to confirm their availability for our new date. Everything was already paid for prior to the world falling apart. We did not have a shower or any of the other pre-wedding festivities, so I'm hoping some of those can take place this year. 

Now as we're about 5 months away from the new date and starting to feel more optimistic with vaccines, I'm starting to do some reception planning. Naturally I'm assuming we will have less people than originally planned, but hopefully more than 12... 

Anyway, I plan to wear my dress for a second time. I want cake a second time. And I want to do some type of vow renewal ceremony. Aside from this, I'd love to hear from others who are in the same situation. Does anyone have ideas for how to make the reception feel more special? Since we're already married, some of the magic of wedding planning has inevitably dried up, and I am feeling self-conscious about having this reception in the first place, but also don't want to deprive myself of this event that I've looked forward to forever. What are other couples doing who are in a similar situation? Any ideas on making the invitations feel special and more personal, given the circumstances? Does anyone have ideas for wedding activities or personal touches that specifically speak to this being a post-marriage reception? I would love to hear some cool and creative ideas for how to make this covid-era wedding reception feel different and special - and less like a botched two-part story. 

(Disclaimer: I am extremely grateful that we are even able to do this in the first place, as I know everyone's experience with the pandemic has been challenging in different ways. I wish everyone luck with your wedding planning and/or post-wedding lives as we navigate these rocky times!)

Re: Getting excited for 9/2021 post-C-19 reception...?

• Options
    Hi all, 

I know I am not nearly the first or only person to have this "problem," but I'm not super savvy with forums and couldn't seem to find an existing thread that specifically addressed this issue. 

My husband and I originally planned our wedding for September of 2020, which obviously could not occur as planned. We went ahead with a small ceremony (12 people, including us) in an outdoor park, I wore my dress, we exchanged rings, had cake, etc. It was lovely! We have postponed our larger reception to September of 2021, and luckily, all of our vendors were able to confirm their availability for our new date. Everything was already paid for prior to the world falling apart. We did not have a shower or any of the other pre-wedding festivities, so I'm hoping some of those can take place this year. 

Now as we're about 5 months away from the new date and starting to feel more optimistic with vaccines, I'm starting to do some reception planning. Naturally I'm assuming we will have less people than originally planned, but hopefully more than 12... 

Anyway, I plan to wear my dress for a second time. I want cake a second time. And I want to do some type of vow renewal ceremony. Aside from this, I'd love to hear from others who are in the same situation. Does anyone have ideas for how to make the reception feel more special? Since we're already married, some of the magic of wedding planning has inevitably dried up, and I am feeling self-conscious about having this reception in the first place, but also don't want to deprive myself of this event that I've looked forward to forever. What are other couples doing who are in a similar situation? Any ideas on making the invitations feel special and more personal, given the circumstances? Does anyone have ideas for wedding activities or personal touches that specifically speak to this being a post-marriage reception? I would love to hear some cool and creative ideas for how to make this covid-era wedding reception feel different and special - and less like a botched two-part story. 

(Disclaimer: I am extremely grateful that we are even able to do this in the first place, as I know everyone's experience with the pandemic has been challenging in different ways. I wish everyone luck with your wedding planning and/or post-wedding lives as we navigate these rocky times!)
    Maybe instead of thinking about it as replacement wedding planning think about hosting your friends & family after a really, long difficult time sort. I’m betting most people will just be happy to see & talk to friends/family they haven’t in over a year- they won’t need games or activities! Yes, people will obviously be there to celebrate you marriage but if you focus on hosting a really great party maybe it will make it feel less like a “botched two-party story” and more of a great “yay you’re married let’s celebrate” party. 
  • Options
    Hi! Following :) I am in the same boat- we got married with 20 people present last August and will be having our reception this coming August with hopefully closer to 75/100 (vaccines and numbers pending!!)

We are going to re-do our first dance, and surprise everyone in the middle of it by asking the other 2020 Covid Couples to join us (a lot of my friends were also supposed to get married last year and had to flat out cancel, so I thought that would be a good way to honor everyone affected by the pandemic). 

If anyone has any other fun ideas, bring it on! Looking for ways to make it celebratory and wedding-y without actually having a wedding. We are choosing to forgo a vow renewal/ceremony. I'll still re-wear my dress, bridesmaids will wear their dresses again, but no ceremony.