Wedding Party

UPDATE: Uncooperative Bridesmaid

edited April 2021 in Wedding Party
UPDATE: I addressed the situation again and she completely agreed that she wasn’t as available as what she first thought she was and didn’t want to hurt me by saying she wanted out. it has nothing to do with my “rules” or me being a “bridezilla”. 

I am well aware that there are many similar posts but many are super old. Times have changed and I would like fresh opinions. I’m getting married in 103 days. All but one of my bridesmaids have been super pumped and wonderful at helping. The one that isn’t, is causing a lot of drama.
1. She texted me saying that other girls were talking bad about her at a party. i addressed my wedding party as a whole and stated that it wouldn’t be tolerated. i also talked to the individuals girls and they gave me a completely different story. both girls story matched and they didn’t communicate before hand as it was kind of a surprise attack.
2. i made it very clear from the start that i would be approving the bridesmaid dresses before they were bought. they’re being bought from azazie so i created a showroom with dresses i liked. the showroom has MANY styles for many body types. i also made it very clear that we would need to order within 24 hours of the first order in order to get them from the same dye lot. i just found out she bought a dress without telling me. she won’t show me what it looks like. all i know is that it’s dusty rose and strapless. strapless dresses are not allowed at our church. that’s why i wanted to approve them first. 
3. there’s always an excuse for why she can’t make it to any events. she isn’t coming to my bachelorette party, probably not coming to my bridal shower, and will only be able to meet with all of us girls the day before the wedding. she wouldn’t even come get measured for bridesmaid dresses with us. 
4. she doesn’t want to get anything done professionally. i’m paying for everyone’s hair, makeup and nails. the only thing they have to pay for is their dress. she will not get any of the above done professionally. she’s had it done professionally for the two other weddings she’s been in though.
5. i asked her if the bridesmaid position was too much for her and something like a personal attendant would be better. she completely flipped everything on me saying i just must not want her in my wedding and that she’s making so many sacrifices for it. 

I know everyone has their own personal responsibilities and interests. I’m well aware that my wedding is not everyone’s life. All I ask for is participation and respect. I’m getting neither of those. i’m at a total lose of what to do. any advice would be great. negative comments are not needed and will not be acknowledged. thank you in advance!! 

Re: UPDATE: Uncooperative Bridesmaid

• If she's being difficult I think you need to address the things that are worth addressing.  IMO that means,

-Unless the inner BP conflict involves you, stay out.  You aren't the referee, the coach or team leader.  If grown adults have issues with each other do not weigh in unless it's ,"Hey would you rather look like Betty or Veronica?"   THis means that any comments of "I'm not going to tolerate this," need to be limited to, "I hope everyone can put aside any issues on the wedding day."  That's it. 

-Were the church requirements given in advance?  My church also had a no strapless requirement.   Is it an option for her to get a shawl to cover up?  If that isn't something you want then you can tell her that because her dress does not meet the church requirements she will either need to alter it with added straps that can be removed for the reception or she'll need to buy a new dress.  That is ONLY If she knew that strapless was not a requirement.  

-She doesn't need to attend events.  Right now w/ the pandemic I think it's understandable to not attend them.  I'm not attending a bridal shower this month (i'm not in the wedding) but even if I was I'm only days out from my first vaccine dose.  It's not advised by the CDC. 

-Let the professional make up and nails go.  

-Please don't ask her if being a bridesmaid is too much.  That was a big oops on your part.  There aren't requirements to be a bridesmaid and a personal attendant = unpaid assistant.  I think that opened the door for an argument and hurt feelings when you made it. 

With the issues you've given, there may be inner conflucts and issues with her but the only ones that you should address are
    1 - the dress.  She has to meet the requirements of the church. 
    2 - You owe an apology for asking if she can meet the requirements of being a bridesmaid. 

• 1. The dress expectation was given far in advance. Actually in December and again in February. She bought the dress in March. She still won’t even show me the dress. 
    2. I know that that question can hurt feelings but it is an honest question that needs to be addressed. The main expectations of a bridesmaid are to show up to pre-wedding events and show up for the wedding. 

Also, Covid also is not an issue for her. She went to Florida for spring break, doesn’t wear a mask, and refuses the vaccine. I’m not saying that is right or wrong on her part but Covid is not an excuse in this situation.
  • 1. The dress expectation was given far in advance. Actually in December and again in February. She bought the dress in March. She still won’t even show me the dress. 
    2. I know that that question can hurt feelings but it is an honest question that needs to be addressed. The main expectations of a bridesmaid are to show up to pre-wedding events and show up for the wedding. 

Also, Covid also is not an issue for her. She went to Florida for spring break, doesn’t wear a mask, and refuses the vaccine. I’m not saying that is right or wrong on her part but Covid is not an excuse in this situation.
    1.  If it was clear that the church and you had requirements then you can be clear: The dress needs to have straps for the ceremony that can be removed for the reception.  She has to do that in order to be in the wedding ceremony per the venue requirements.  You can wash your hands of that part.   Those are the rules of the church.  Be clear that should she show up on the wedding day in a strapless dress then she cannot participate. 

2. You are mistaken with your understanding of what a bridesmaid's requirements are.  They are to show up on the wedding date in the required attire.  That is it.  The rest, while possibly traditional and common are not requirements.  Addressing them as if they are is incorrect on your part and why she's owed the apology.  

For the rest, stay out of it.  Based on how you  just cited spring break am I seeing that she's still in college?  
  • I am well aware that there are many similar posts but many are super old. Times have changed and I would like fresh opinions. I’m getting married in 103 days. All but one of my bridesmaids have been super pumped and wonderful at helping. The one that isn’t, is causing a lot of drama.
    1. She texted me saying that other girls were talking bad about her at a party. i addressed my wedding party as a whole and stated that it wouldn’t be tolerated. i also talked to the individuals girls and they gave me a completely different story. both girls story matched and they didn’t communicate before hand as it was kind of a surprise attack.
    2. i made it very clear from the start that i would be approving the bridesmaid dresses before they were bought. they’re being bought from azazie so i created a showroom with dresses i liked. the showroom has MANY styles for many body types. i also made it very clear that we would need to order within 24 hours of the first order in order to get them from the same dye lot. i just found out she bought a dress without telling me. she won’t show me what it looks like. all i know is that it’s dusty rose and strapless. strapless dresses are not allowed at our church. that’s why i wanted to approve them first. 
    3. there’s always an excuse for why she can’t make it to any events. she isn’t coming to my bachelorette party, probably not coming to my bridal shower, and will only be able to meet with all of us girls the day before the wedding. she wouldn’t even come get measured for bridesmaid dresses with us. 
    4. she doesn’t want to get anything done professionally. i’m paying for everyone’s hair, makeup and nails. the only thing they have to pay for is their dress. she will not get any of the above done professionally. she’s had it done professionally for the two other weddings she’s been in though.
    5. i asked her if the bridesmaid position was too much for her and something like a personal attendant would be better. she completely flipped everything on me saying i just must not want her in my wedding and that she’s making so many sacrifices for it. 

I know everyone has their own personal responsibilities and interests. I’m well aware that my wedding is not everyone’s life. All I ask for is participation and respect. I’m getting neither of those. i’m at a total lose of what to do. any advice would be great. negative comments are not needed and will not be acknowledged. thank you in advance!! 
    1. The dress expectation was given far in advance. Actually in December and again in February. She bought the dress in March. She still won’t even show me the dress. 

No one is required to show up for pre-wedding events or to help with the wedding. The only true “job” of a BM is to show up sober, on time, in the right attire on the day of the wedding. You shouldn’t have told her maybe she would be “better off” as a personal attendant. That was hurtful and wrong of you to say. She did not purchase a dress within the venue requirements. That is on her. She could potentially add removable cap sleeves or wear a shawl to get around the requirements. Dye lots also aren’t really a thing any more. So you don’t necessarily all have to order within minutes of each other. Take a step back from the wedding and think about your friendship for a moment outside of the microcosm of the wedding. 

• 1. I can get over the dress. I can ask her to order a new one. that’s not the biggest problem. it’s the blatant disrespect of my venue request that bothers me the most. she doesn’t care enough to follow those rules so who’s to say she will follow them on the wedding day? maybe it’s shallow but i don’t want to have a missing bridesmaid on my wedding day. no one needs that extra stress of cutting out someone last minute. 

2. Every person has their own idea of bridesmaid requirements. Those are mine. I stated those early on as well. I gave the benefit of the doubt for the bachelorette party because yes, she is still in college. I even made sure all of the events are after her school ends for the semester.
  • 1. I can get over the dress. I can ask her to order a new one. that’s not the biggest problem. it’s the blatant disrespect of my venue request that bothers me the most. she doesn’t care enough to follow those rules so who’s to say she will follow them on the wedding day? maybe it’s shallow but i don’t want to have a missing bridesmaid on my wedding day. no one needs that extra stress of cutting out someone last minute. 

2. Every person has their own idea of bridesmaid requirements. Those are mine. I stated those early on as well. I gave the benefit of the doubt for the bachelorette party because yes, she is still in college. I even made sure all of the events are after her school ends for the semester.
    Okay, but your idea of BM requirements is still wrong. 

If she doesn’t alter the dress or buy a new one and it’s not allowed at the venue, then she’s effectively taken herself out of the wedding. 

School should be her priority. It might just be too much to handle even thinking about school plus the wedding. I know when I had friends get married while I was in college it was overwhelming at times as I tried to maintain grades and mandatory classes (no such thing as just showing up for the finals at my school). 

• I did not tell her she would be better off as a personal attendant. the actual message i sent is copied here: “hey, I know this is a hard conversation but I need you to be honest with me. Do you feel being a bridesmaid is too much for you? I’ve noticed you aren’t responding much about the wedding and can’t come to any of the events. I know you’re busy and that’s understandable. If you’re not comfortable being a bridesmaid please let me know so we can find something that does work for you such as a personal attendant? no matter the outcome, i won’t be mad or upset. i just don’t want to overwhelm you.” 

In terms of our friendship, I wish I would have noticed curtain things before I asked her. She has bad things to say about my fiancé and I having a 5 year age gap. She in a roundabout way puts me down for going to school for accounting because it wasn’t prestigious enough. That’s just a few things. I didn’t want to bring those factors into this post though. She has a nice and genuine side to her but i’m seeing more and more of the other side. 
  • I have to wonder if she has declined many of these pre-wedding events because they also had too many "rules" to follow.  I also have to wonder why you are having all these "conversations" via text.  CALL her and speak with her directly.

You said you are paying for hair and make up, which is generous.  However, are you dictating a certain hair style and/or make up "look"?  If that is the case, then it is less about generosity and more about control and "rules". 

If the dress, which was paid for by your BM, excludes her from attending the wedding, then she has kicked herself out.  It truly will be a non-issue regarding your ceremony.  My daughter found out the night before her wedding that a groomsman would be unable to attend.  The only people that knew were the other wedding party members.  The wedding went off without a hitch.
  • There’s not many rules except be civil, order dresses at the same time, and get hair and nails done. The church has set stipulations for attire which is beyond my control.

She doesn’t do phone calls. never has. I can’t change that.

Theres zero stipulations for hairstyle, makeup looks, or nail color/length/shape. 

We have a wedding website with all of wedding party pictures (submitted by themselves obviously). We’re all young and utilize the website often. People would realize someone is missing. Even if it wasn’t noticeable, that will add stress to my day. 

I think many people forget that the wedding is about the bride and groom.
  • There’s not many rules except be civil, order dresses at the same time, and get hair and nails done. The church has set stipulations for attire which is beyond my control.

She doesn’t do phone calls. never has. I can’t change that.

Theres zero stipulations for hairstyle, makeup looks, or nail color/length/shape. 

We have a wedding website with all of wedding party pictures (submitted by themselves obviously). We’re all young and utilize the website often. People would realize someone is missing. Even if it wasn’t noticeable, that will add stress to my day. 

I think many people forget that the wedding is about the bride and groom.

The wedding is about the bride and groom.  Once the bride and groom invite guests, then the event becomes about the hospitality of the guests. 
    There really is no rule regarding ordering dresses at the same time, or having hair and nails professionally done.  Those are impositions put on by the bride.
    You can choose whether or not you allow these small details to be the focus of your wedding.  TRUST ME when I say this will not make or break your wedding day.  Your attitude regarding them will.
    My daughter asked her BM's to select a black dress of their liking with the stipulation that it be knee length and of the same fabric.  One BM put off ordering her dress.  At some point in time, this BM told my daughter she brought a black dress but not from the bridal shop and not of the same fabric.  My daughter vented to me, at some length, about it and then let it go.  IF, and I do mean IF anyone noticed, they made no mention of it.  Why would they?  No one mentioned the missing groomsman, either.  During church, they may have noticed that the names in the program did not jive with the head count at the altar.  Again, NO ONE mentioned it. 
    We all get it.  We all understand it.  We are trying to explain that it truly is not, and will not be as important as you think it is right now in the moment. 
  • flantasticflantastic member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2021
    Do you want your bridal party to be about a set of self-created job requirements, or about having your closest friends near you as you commit your life to someone else?

"I'm the bride and bridesmaid means x, y, and z to me" is all well and good, but at the end of the day, that makes you more of a stage manager than a friend. What is truly, actually important here? Stop getting caught up in how accommodating and generous you feel like you've been already. The part outside your control are whether the church allows her to stand up with you if she shows up in strapless. The ability to let go of the rest of your arbitrary requirements is entirely in your control.

If you want to jeopardize this friendship over the fact that she has other priorities than following your self-created bridesmaid rules, that's your prerogative, but... were you actually that good of friends to begin with?
  • I can't even read all of this. How old are you? 

Bridesmaids are not your employees. You need to seriously adjust your expectations. You, as the bride, are HONORING these people. It's not the other way around. By all means, have ridiculous expectations for your friends. Get back to us and let us know how many of these friendships still exist when you're 35. 

Is she wrong to not show you the dress? Yes. But all the rest of it - LET IT GO. None of this is that important. She's not required to show up to any events aside from the wedding. 

You seriously sound like a bridezilla. Have a drink and calm down. In the grand scheme of things, this is all trivial stuff. 

Is this person your actual friend? If so, why are you treating her so poorly? Remove your wedding from the equation. 
  • That she removed herself from the wedding is not a sign that you aren't a bridezilla.  It's a sign that she's taken the path of least resistance and saved herself more stress. 

• She removed herself because you're behaving like a bridezilla. Sounds like you've trashed this friendship. How sad, and all over trivial wedding stuff. She's better off, because it doesn't sound like you're much of a friend. 
  • I find it funny that the users commenting are somehow connected and always leave rude comments on others posts as well. Swearing and putting people down for asking for advice is very immature. no wonder there’s divorce happening. We both addressed the wedding party together and everyone is still on good terms and she’s still a guest. I guess we don’t tiptoe around hard questions in life. it’s unfortunate so many people do.
  • I find it funny that the users commenting are somehow connected and always leave rude comments on others posts as well. Swearing and putting people down for asking for advice is very immature. no wonder there’s divorce happening. We both addressed the wedding party together and everyone is still on good terms and she’s still a guest. I guess we don’t tiptoe around hard questions in life. it’s unfortunate so many people do.
    This is incredibly rude, arrogant, hurtful and so misplaced.  

You're how old?  I'm old enough to have a daughter in college.  Before you start to discuss how great you are at human relationships please consider that it was your mandates that are making you down one bridesmaid.  If you think that the friendship hasn't changed I think you're mistaken. 

FWIW, the boards have the same people posting because we're all active members.  It is not a sign that any are "connected." 
  • This is so sad. You've been so controlling and nasty to this woman that she now feels the need to back out of your wedding. You've thrown away a friendship for nothing and don't even have the maturity to reflect on how badly you've behaved.

I'm glad she's been able to see that she deserves better. 
  • I did not tell her she would be better off as a personal attendant. the actual message i sent is copied here: “hey, I know this is a hard conversation but I need you to be honest with me. Do you feel being a bridesmaid is too much for you? I’ve noticed you aren’t responding much about the wedding and can’t come to any of the events. I know you’re busy and that’s understandable. If you’re not comfortable being a bridesmaid please let me know so we can find something that does work for you such as a personal attendant? no matter the outcome, i won’t be mad or upset. i just don’t want to overwhelm you.” 

In terms of our friendship, I wish I would have noticed curtain things before I asked her. She has bad things to say about my fiancé and I having a 5 year age gap. She in a roundabout way puts me down for going to school for accounting because it wasn’t prestigious enough. That’s just a few things. I didn’t want to bring those factors into this post though. She has a nice and genuine side to her but i’m seeing more and more of the other side. 
    Since this wasn’t quoted. 

Wow. Aren’t you just a peach. 

• edited April 2021
    I find it funny that the users commenting are somehow connected and always leave rude comments on others posts as well. Swearing and putting people down for asking for advice is very immature. no wonder there’s divorce happening. We both addressed the wedding party together and everyone is still on good terms and she’s still a guest. I guess we don’t tiptoe around hard questions in life. it’s unfortunate so many people do.
    LOL. 

You came here asking for advice and essentially listened to none of it. You've treated your friend (and the rest of your BP) horribly. Everyone can very clearly see that you're behaving immaturely and don't actually want advice - you just want people (strangers no less, which is even more interesting...) to assure you that your treatment of this person is OK. It's not. Again, you don't want to hear it. That's Ok. No skin off my back. I have a wonderful group of best friends that have been in my life for 25 years. Our relationships are built on respect and trust and kindness, which is way more than I can say what you've treated your friends with. The people in your BP are supposed to be your best friends, not disposable props you treat like employees to worship at your feet. 

Some day you'll grow up and mature, and trust me, you'll look back on your wedding and cringe at the things you thought were important, things you trashed friendships over. Your friend is still a guest. $100 says she won't be your friend in a year. 

UPDATE: I addressed the situation again and she completely agreed that she wasn’t as available as what she first thought she was and didn’t want to hurt me by saying she wanted out. it has nothing to do with my “rules” or me being a “bridezilla”.

Nary a swear that I can see LOL
    She may be "a guest" for the moment but I am hoping she declines that invitation.  This young lady took the high road and knew when "less is more".  She bowed out gracefully because she kept your feelings in mind.  Had you done the same the outcome may have been different.

• levioosa said:
    I did not tell her she would be better off as a personal attendant. the actual message i sent is copied here: “hey, I know this is a hard conversation but I need you to be honest with me. Do you feel being a bridesmaid is too much for you? I’ve noticed you aren’t responding much about the wedding and can’t come to any of the events. I know you’re busy and that’s understandable. If you’re not comfortable being a bridesmaid please let me know so we can find something that does work for you such as a personal attendant? no matter the outcome, i won’t be mad or upset. i just don’t want to overwhelm you.” 

Since this wasn’t quoted. 
    Gee, I'm a CPA. I don't think that excuses what you did to your ex-bridesmaid.