Wedding 911
Options

The groom of the couple wont leave me alone after finding him on a dating site!

edited April 2021 in Wedding 911
I, (an effeminate gay man) was asked to help plan a wedding for a lovely (straight) couple. Fast forward to me on a dating site, carrying on this correspondence with someone with no photos. Finally i receive photos down the line and its the groom! Their wedding is coming up and i already committed to seeing their event through, or my name is on the line. He tries to call me 10 or more times a day just to waste my time. How would you handle this? I hate being in the middle of drama :(

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    I, (an effeminate gay man) was asked to help plan a wedding for a lovely (straight) couple. Fast forward to me on a dating site, carrying on this correspondence with someone with no photos. Finally i receive photos down the line and its the groom! Their wedding is coming up and i already committed to seeing their event through, or my name is on the line. He tries to call me 10 or more times a day just to waste my time. How would you handle this? I hate being in the middle of drama :(
    Yikes. Have you just confronted him about it? Tell him you know who he is because you’re planning his wedding? Or does he know you both know who he is and he’s calling all the time anyway? 

I’d try telling him you’re quite busy and you need to keep your contact to specifics about the wedding. Or say you’ll work only with his fiancée on wedding planning if he can’t be respectful of boundaries and your time. 

What you probably shouldn’t do (but I’d want to) is tell him if he doesn’t stop you’re going to tell his fiancée you found him messaging you on a dating site. Generally blackmail isn’t a great idea for a client but definitely understand the desire there. 

Re: The groom of the couple wont leave me alone after finding him on a dating site!

• Options
    Oof. What a terrible situation. I'm also curious if he realizes who you are? If not, I'd confront him directly and make him aware that you know he's the groom of this wedding, and that it needs to stop. 
  • Options
    If wedding planning is your job, and it sounds like it is, I would just tell this guy that you aren't interested in him as a romantic partner. Period. I wouldn't tell his fiancee because that is unlikely to do any good, I'm sorry to say. Finish this wedding to the best of your ability and then block this guy.