Wedding Woes
Options

Oh LW, I'm sure it's not 'everyone' so find your people that aren't them.

Dear Prudence,

I’m a teenager who’s starting at a new school next year. My friend who currently attends the school says that a lot of people there smoke weed, drink, etc. I know for certain that if somebody offers me something, I will take it. My mental health is really bad, and there’s a history of substance abuse in my family. I know I shouldn’t want to do it, and I know I shouldn’t do it at all, but I don’t think I’ll be able to stop myself. If I tell an adult, I won’t be able to go to the school, and it’s been my dream school for years. How can I stop myself? Should I even try when I know it’s probably inevitable?

—Tempted and Concerned

Re: Oh LW, I'm sure it's not 'everyone' so find your people that aren't them.

• Options
    Oh LW - start to talk to your counselors.  Also, "everyone isn't doing it".  
  • Options
    Not everyone is doing it! And a lot of people who are doing it wish there were others that weren’t so they didn’t feel pressured to keep doing it. 

But find a teacher or counselor you can trust. Find activities (sports, clubs) that you can get involved in that don’t center on just hanging out. 

God I do not miss high school. At all. 
  • Options
    Just say no - it truly is not difficult if it's something you don't want to do.  Find people who are like-minded and stick with them.  
  • Options
    LW - if you look for everything around you that is rainbow clouds, you're gunna find it dude!  The answer is look for the opposite end of the spectrum kids who find it easy to avoid that subset and would never even get asked if they wanted to partake and have other ways to have fun and hang out that do not involve the use of mind altering substances..