Wedding Woes
Options

Wet Wednesday

Rain just started here which isn’t the worst thing because it was way too hot yesterday! I have a light day today so hoping to knock out some work I need to get done. Other than that, SSDD. 

Re: Wet Wednesday

• Options
    Calling for a storm today but we'll see. They called for one yesterday and nada ... 

M is nearly finished the zoo. He planned on using the router he got but it wasn't going the way he planned, so he just used the table saw.
    We've given up on plan for bookshelf because of price of wood - so we're going to purchase and potentially add on if necessary. M said it's cheaper to buy even though it's not cheap in general.

Mack & Milo™ Thure Kid Toy Storage Bench & Reviews | Wayfair.ca

Maybe it will storm? The wind has picked up a fair amount :\
  • Options
    It’s supposed to be hot today, but my office is freezing and I forgot a sweater. 

Our tub looks a lot better @short+sassy. It was $375 to clean off the old glaze and redo it. The guy said the people who flipped our house used a terrible cheap spray-on product (I’m so so shocked 🙄), and that’s why it didn’t even last a year. We have to let it cure until Thursday night which is fine. We can shower at FSIL A’s place until then. 

Otherwise SSDD. I’m the boss for the next two weeks. I’m suspicious about today. It’s a full blood moon and I’m waiting for the crazy to begin lol. 

• Options
    MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2021
    I'm jealous of the rain. It's hot and humid here, and hasn't rained in over a week. I'm just not ready for summer yet.

Nothing much else going on. We got a couple of estimates on the bathroom reno and decided on a contractor. I need to call the guy and give them the greenlight, but I'm waiting for our bank to give me a firm closing date on the refi. It's going to be 8 weeks before they can even start, so I want to get on the calendar as soon as we can. I'm really hoping to get it done before I have to go back to the office in the fall.
  • Options
    Chill day today. My workout buddy cancelled so I chose to take the day off too. I will also be taking next Wednesday off because I am getting my second shot but that's not as fun. 

DS is on a new No Tv/ No dummy (pacifier) regimen and it is going surprisingly well. He seems happier over all and I am happier too because of it.
    I am have been reaching out to nurseries to do tours and such for the fall. DS's birthday is in October and he has to be 4 by August 1st in order to attend school. So he will get 2 solid years of nursery/ preschool before he goes to actual school. I am not mad about it at all, I would have waited to send him anyway but I do want him to get some experience following instructions and being in groups.

I need to make a grocery order because I want to make banana bread with these sad bananas but don't have any chocolate chips. And what is the point of banana bread without chocolate? Also we need milk, lol.

I tried to get DS into a Thursday tumbling class that my friend signed her kid up for yesterday but they said they were all full. So if I don't hear anything from them, I will go ride a horse tomorrow evening instead.
    Friday, DS has swim. We will see how keen he is to get in after almost drowning last week. I don't think he knew he almost drowned though so we will see.
    Saturday, no plans.
    Sunday, hopefully fully back to my pre work schedule.
  • Options
    So swim-parenting question. My sister (and one of my SIL) used the infant floats for their babies in the pool (the ones you sort of sit the kid in) and either held them or the float. No life jacket. My mom says a life jacket is much better. What did everyone else use? Baby M is almost 10 months- he’s a big and really active kid. Loved splashing in the pool. 
  • Options
    At 10 mo I'd hold in the float.  They need to be held at that phase anyway.

Once they're older I'm a fan of the puddle jumper as their life jacket.  It wraps around the upper torso and arms AND they're Coast Guard approved.  Chiquito wears his from boat to pool at the marina and has had his since he was just under 3.  He'll be 7 this year and you're reminding me that we'll need to have him try it on now that it's almost time.  (the boat is currently lacking a propeller so we aren't going far yet). 
  • Options
    @levioosa, I'm glad your tub looks a lot better!  $375 is much more reasonable than what I was thinking.  It's been a few years since I researched it, but I was seeing prices that were $750-$1,000 for a reglaze.  Hopefully it lasts a lot longer than the cheapo stuff!  It also drives me nuts when people cut corners on home repairs and do a bad DIY job.

Not a lot going on.  Still trying to ease myself back into real life, lol.  I've been tired enough to go to bed at a reasonable hour the last couple nights, so I'm hoping that trend continues.  It's much nicer to go through the day with a little more energy!

I thought this was an interesting article talking about each part of the world and if/how/when they are opening travel back up.

Many countries are eager to reopen to travel as pandemic recedes (wdsu.com)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy I love how places are like "we wanna travel!" meanwhile I cannot go into the mall and purchase anything .... it's just so odd to see the flips
  • Options
    @charlotte989875 we always used a swim vest type thing. It looks a lot like a zip up life jacket with a strap between the legs but Idk that I would trust it to do much life saving. DS always hated the floats, he wants to swim dammit, lol. Now at 2.5 he has moved on to arm floaties and is doing quite well with them. 
  • Options
    @short+sassy I love how places are like "we wanna travel!" meanwhile I cannot go into the mall and purchase anything .... it's just so odd to see the flips
    Now that vaccines are opening up more in Canada, I'm thinking/hoping your all's infection rates and hospitalizations will go down and things will start opening back up.

I was surprised how fast it happened in the US.  Just a couple months ago, unless a person was elderly or (maybe) had a medical condition, they couldn't get vaccinated.  Then the gates opened for everyone.  And, even though we still aren't anywhere near the levels we need to be for % of people vaccinated, the bad COVID stats started dropping so fast that cities/states felt justified in opening things back up.

For example, NOLA's mayor has always been much more on the side of COVID safety and reluctant to open things back up too soon.  But there are very few rules left here.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Even here in CT where we were following a lot of the stricter tri-state laws due to population density we've opened up A LOT.  

We still have masking rules in places but finally I don't have to wear a mask outside at Chiquita's soccer games (where I sit in the grass in a chair I bring) and the local restaurants are finally opening up.   
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'd like a bit of rain here.  I just like not having to water my needy garden and flowers lol.
    @charlotte989875 I'd put him in the sit-in float this summer.  Ditto puddle jumpers for toddlerhood.  My kids still wear them when they want to go to the deep side of my parents' pool (they're good enough swimmers, I just can't handle 3:1).  

SSD-STBXH annoyance.  Tired of even typing about it  :|  it was cool Mon and Tues but back to hazy and humid today.
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    @charlotte989875 I tried the float when B was that age, he just preferred to be held but then again he was  is clingy so no real surprise. I started doing the puddle jumper at round 1.5 -- I think he was under the starting weight (theyre usually 30 lbs) but he was fine, and again always wanted to be held anyway. It wasn't until 2.5 that he was ok to float himself a bit in it but I am still close to him to grab if he tipped over a bit too much
  • Options
    Now that vaccines are opening up more in Canada, I'm thinking/hoping your all's infection rates and hospitalizations will go down and things will start opening back up.

I was surprised how fast it happened in the US.  Just a couple months ago, unless a person was elderly or (maybe) had a medical condition, they couldn't get vaccinated.  Then the gates opened for everyone.  And, even though we still aren't anywhere near the levels we need to be for % of people vaccinated, the bad COVID stats started dropping so fast that cities/states felt justified in opening things back up.

For example, NOLA's mayor has always been much more on the side of COVID safety and reluctant to open things back up too soon.  But there are very few rules left here.  
    They say our city is at 60% and pushing for regional approach, but you'd be surprised how shitty Ontario is doing.
    "Phases" which is b.s because everyone is fighting back about it - doctors, public health, and mayors - and the province has been doing so poorly.
    Another political party is actually investigating on how the current party has been handling it.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I am just about ready to walk out on this job.

My boss sent a condescending email in which he describes my job as "helping X and Y" instead of being an accountant in my own right and then tells everyone that I "need to get a better understanding." No, I need better communications with everyone, yes. But they need to give actual instructions instead of expecting me to hit the ground running with everything. Clients are not responding well to the outreaches they are demanding that I make.

Then the manager comes over and says "You're going to have to redo this" about a project for which she just dumped it on me without instructions. She tells me to reach ot to a client to find something out and I pointed out to her that I have had no personal contact with this client before.

Damn it.
  • Options
    @Jen4948, oh no!  I'm sorry to hear this job has turned out so bad.  You don't want to be in a toxic environment, but then it is so stressful to be unemployed also.  I'd hope things will start getting better, as you understand the processes/procedures they want.  Even if you have to keep figuring it out yourself (groan).  Maybe start asking more questions (if you aren't already) and/or tell them how you plan to complete a project, so they can interject if they want something different.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @CharmedPam I haven't heard anything official yet, but that coworker is VERY muted at work right now, I (and others) have noticed.  GOOD.  We're shortstaffed AF and I don't really want to lose an experienced worker, but if you can't be professional, stay TF in your office and do your job.

The boss approved my solution to this nonsense going on, so hopefully my job will become a bit easier moving forward.  Still busy and still overloaded, but a manageable overload, rather than the "I'm frozen, b/c I can't touch anything without touching everything" overload.

I'm doing a macros meal plan and it is absolutely obnoxious having to eat this much food.  Especially high fiber/carb/protein food.  I'd better get some good results, dammit.  Worked out this morning.  I wasn't here yesterday, b/c I had a tension headache that would not quit.  It's still hanging out, but it's staying under control today with medicine.  Also, TMI warning:  on this macro meal plan (it's where I count calories and grams of protein/fat/carbs in a certain ratio), when I poop, I feel like I lose 2 pounds.  And now I can't decide when I should be weighing myself for tracking weight loss.

:smiley:

Otherwise, SSDD.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    @Jen4948, oh no!  I'm sorry to hear this job has turned out so bad.  You don't want to be in a toxic environment, but then it is so stressful to be unemployed also.  I'd hope things will start getting better, as you understand the processes/procedures they want.  Even if you have to keep figuring it out yourself (groan).  Maybe start asking more questions (if you aren't already) and/or tell them how you plan to complete a project, so they can interject if they want something different.
    Unfortunately, I keep getting put in situations where I wouldn't even know to ask questions, let alone what questions to ask, but I'm still not given the information I need until after I start the project. The information that I really need that would trigger in me the recognition that I need to ask questions isn't provided to me.

It's not helping that my direct supervisor is only working part-time and plans to retire, but she hasn't been introducing me virtually or otherwise to clients when she's here.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    I just discovered that Slate (of Prudie fame) has a new advice column!

It's called Pay Dirt and is supposedly about money questions, though I've seen a few letters that are not.  But it's not boring money questions, like "what is the max. I can contribute each year to my 401K".

It's juicy relationship money questions, like "My Grandmother Says She'll Stop Sending Me Money Unless I Get Pregnant."  Yeeaahhh!

And, btw, the LW for that one is 36 years old.  The grandma is terrible for using finances to try and force the LW to get pregnant.  But, yeesh, why has a grown-ass woman taken money from their grandma for years?!?! 

Stuck in box...

Kind of a combination of Prudie and Suze Orman.
  • Options
    I just discovered that Slate (of Prudie fame) has a new advice column!

It's called Pay Dirt and is supposedly about money questions, though I've seen a few letters that are not.  But it's not boring money questions, like "what is the max. I can contribute each year to my 401K".

It's juicy relationship money questions, like "My Grandmother Says She'll Stop Sending Me Money Unless I Get Pregnant."  Yeeaahhh!

And, btw, the LW for that one is 36 years old.  The grandma is terrible for using finances to try and force the LW to get pregnant.  But, yeesh, why has a grown-ass woman taken money from their grandma for years?!?! 

I've been reading these the last month, I love it!  If you dont' already read you might enjoy "Money Diaries" from Refinery29 on M/WF.  Women posting a weekly diary of jobs/lifestyle/spending that outlines net worth with some interesting background questions.  Its not really advice, but it's really interesting to see how other people spend their money!  And the comment section is brutal sometimes, but also super interesting.  
  • Options
    kerbohlkerbohl member
    Right!  I went grocery shopping last night and it felt weird to be let in somewhere ....

• Options
    kerbohlkerbohl member
    Work is interesting today.  We had this big project that was going to go down today, and we had all hands on deck expecting craziness!  And then nothing really happened.  I got caught up on other work.  I like this better then it actually being crazy.
    We didn't get enough rain.  My garden is sad and dry, and my rain barrels have been empty for a week.  Hopefully we got enough that I can water again.

• Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    I just read some of these Money Diaries and I am wide-eyed at some of the amounts people spend on food, particularly take out, but then also wondering where the frivolous shopping is. Because I'm pretty sure a package arrives at my house nearly every day or two. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone on the float v life- jacket! I have both now (thanks Amazon) so we’ll be prepared for going on FILs boat, too. I wish he was big enough for the puddle jumpers but they all start at 30 pounds and he’s only 23.