Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Small independent photographer vs. larger studio

I am on a tight budget so I am considering using this small independent photographer from Thumbtack app. He has a great portfolio and appears to be very professional, as well as artistic.

What are the pros and cons of using a small independent photographer? Any business advice if I decide to use him? (Use a contract, etc)...

Re: Small independent photographer vs. larger studio

• Options
    With anyone you use you need to have a contract that outlines exactly what you are receiving for what price - how many hours, how many photographers, pre-ceremony, post-ceremony, reception, first look (if you do one). It should also give you a date by which you should expect proofs and pictures after you have ordered them. It should also state if the photographer does touch ups during the editing process or just leaves the photos as is. 

Has he been in business very long? Read reviews that are available. Big studios will often not guarantee having a certain photographer (because they have several and it depends on scheduling). However if the photographer is sick or has a family emergency another photographer can fill in for them. Obviously, a small one person studio runs the risk of having a sick photographer (this happened to my daughter). A small studio can give you a more personal touch.
  • Options
    I am on a tight budget so I am considering using this small independent photographer from Thumbtack app. He has a great portfolio and appears to be very professional, as well as artistic.

What are the pros and cons of using a small independent photographer? Any business advice if I decide to use him? (Use a contract, etc)...
    I think most photographers are going to be independent, small businesses. Definitely use a contract, he should have one. Make sure it specifies a timeline for getting pictures back after the event, how many pictures you'll expect, edits, all the usual stuff.
  • Options

I think most photographers are going to be independent, small businesses. Definitely use a contract, he should have one. Make sure it specifies a timeline for getting pictures back after the event, how many pictures you'll expect, edits, all the usual stuff.
    True they may be small independent businesses but they could have a number of photographers. My daughter looked at two such businesses in Chicago and a one person business. I assumed that was what the OP was asking about. The two different types were very different.

• Options
    Yes I was referring to a one person business. Thanks for all your advice
  • Options
    An independent photographer doesn't mean that he is not talented at what he is doing. Just make sure that the works from his portfolio are indeed his, and everything should be fine.
    If you need some lovely places to take photos, you can find some great ideas on https://www.aperfectspace.com .
    Give it a try, my opinion is that a big Company doesn't mean good quality, it only means professional marketing!
    I've worked in an SMM agency personally, so believe me, I know how it works. And, yes, make a contract with the terms that the payment will be made only after receiving the final product!