Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

White to a wedding

This goes back a while but it's on my mind and I want to know what yall think. At my friends wedding another friend of mine wore a white dress. It was short, not a gown, but it was definitely all white lace. She had a wrap shawl thing that she had on for a while, but pretty soon after the reception started she took it off. 

I absolutely do not think she did it on purpose to be rude, and I never ever said anything to her about it to this day. But I definitely remember it totally clearly and cannot imagine why she would do that or what she was thinking - i thought this was common knowledge. Again, no one said anything to her during or after and it hasn’t changed our friend group at all, I just wanted to know if I’m the only person who thought this wasn’t appropriate for a wedding guest to wear and something I’d never ever do as a guest. Am I old fashioned? Can you wear white to a wedding? Is wearing white to a wedding not really bad etiquette? 

Re: White to a wedding

• Options
    I probably wouldn't wear an all-white lace dress (short or not) to a wedding.  As a guest i'd probably notice, think it was a little odd, and then never think of it again.  As a bride I could care less.  
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Casadena said:
    I probably wouldn't wear an all-white lace dress (short or not) to a wedding.  As a guest i'd probably notice, think it was a little odd, and then never think of it again.  As a bride I could care less.  
    The same with me. At most, as a guest I'd wonder why another guest was wearing a dress that looked like a bridal dress. But it wouldn't bother me beyond that.
  • Options
    I don't think wearing all-white to a wedding is appropriate.  But, as long as it doesn't look like a wedding dress, I don't think it's a major etiquette faux pas either.

I still remember a wedding I went to over 25 years ago where one of the guests wore a black, cocktail dress.  It was a daytime, outdoor, more casual wedding and it struck me at the time of looking really "off".  

I didn't even know this guest, so I really can't tell you why I immediately think of her when the subject of "inappropriate wedding guest attire" comes up, even after all this time, lol.  Sometimes the brain works in mysterious ways!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with PPs. I know it's frowned on and I wouldn't do it, but I can't imagine being so worried about someone else's clothes that I'd remember it after the fact, especially when it wasn't even my wedding. 

No one mistook her for the bride, the couple left married; it's really not that big of a deal. 
  • Options
    I'm of the opinion that you never, ever wear white to a wedding. 
  • Options
    downtondivadowntondiva member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2021
    Wearing white is one of the few things I still consistently see being considered a no-no for wedding guest attire. I wouldn't do it myself, though I also wouldn't say anything to anyone who did.