California-San Diego

Dear San Diego,

It looks like there hasn't been a lot of community activity since November last year. I know there have been brides since then!

Anyway, my fiancée and I are planning a Celtic style wedding, being both some bit Irish, & we are considering doing two ancient unity traditions during the ceremony: a salt ceremony (pagan AND Christian, if you believe it) & a handfasting. The trouble is, I can't imagine the order of the ceremony! We have plenty of time to plan (wedding's not til March 2019) but, it's on my mind.

Has anyone done a combo like this for their wedding or, is anyone planning something similar who can give us a few tips on scheduling the order of things?

Thanks!

Re: Dear San Diego,

• Hi HughandSummer - My partner and I are combining lots of ancient and contemporary rites into our ceremony. I'm also a professional ritualist/celebrant.

I see that your wedding is just around the corner (congrats!). I'd do the handfasting first and then the salt tradition.

People often see the handfasting as akin to the ring exchange. Historically, it was the equivalent of the ring exchange. While the salt tradition is also about bringing together two people, it's often seen as akin to a unity candle or unity wine ceremony; another rite to facilitate the blending of two lives but of different weight than that of the handfasting/ring exchange.

Of course, this is your wedding and traditions are just that: traditions. Do what feels right, good and true for your unique relationship.

Mi dos centavos,

Erin
  • If you want to make memorable makesure you need to hire professional photographers San Diego