Wedding Woes
Options

Moooonnnnndaaaayyyy.

How was the weekend?

My long weekend was nice.  Friday, DefConn and I slept in and then did weekly and vacation shopping.  I took him for a haircut in the late afternoon.  FIL offered to take DefConn for the night and then take him to work for a couple hours the next day.  FIL works in a motorcycle shop that does repairs and custom builds.  It's known statewide for the work they do and they attract a lot of locally well-known people.  DH and I had a really, really amazing night of hanging out and talking until super late. 

Saturday, we had a nice slow morning.  We picked up DefConn and then came home to get ready to go to my mom's local BFF's son's wedding.  It was a really fun wedding and the food was awesome.  At said wedding, we found out DH's cousin's baby was born (better hurry up the blanket...he was a week+ early, LOL) and also that a family friend's dad passed away suddenly (sister/BIL's BFF's dad).  Furthermore, I ran into a co-worker and a teacher of DefConn's at this wedding.  It was all the things going on at once.  

Sunday, we went to my sister's because we did early Father's Day with dad due to everyone's summer being balls to the wall booked otherwise.  Her neighbors let us come use their pool.  It was a nice day despite the fact that BIL and sis were a little distracted worrying about their friends. 

DefConn is at his first ever camp this week.  It's going to rain on them the whole time.  LOL  
DH has his audit this week.  We did find out last week that they probably lost their contract, so DH has a job for about 18 more months.  He's going to start looking toward fall/end of year.  But he's not in a rush right now.  It also depends on what kind of vacay plans we make next year. 

Re: Moooonnnnndaaaayyyy.

• Options
    I ended up having a busier weekend then I expected.  I picked up 8 gas station mystery shops.  Phew!  I completed 4 when I got off work on Friday, plus also completed a fast food lunch mystery shop.  I did the other 4 gas stations on Saturday, plus ran some errands.  All in all, it took me a total of 6 hours including travel time and I made an extra $160, so I was glad I picked them all up.  Sunday, I just stayed home and relaxed.

Not much else going on today.  It's my H's first day at his new job.  We talked more about it over the weekend.  It sounds like it will be more part-time then full-time.  All the more reason he needs to still be looking for other work!  Normally I would feel a little bad about him taking a job that will probably be a stop-gap and possibly (hopefully) a brief one, but I suspect this place is used to it and his training is only a couple days, so it's not like they will have much time invested in him.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Weekend was busy a.f! Well .... Saturday.

BK's party. It went well. M & I were exhausted Sunday that we did so friggen little lol
    BK was fine with that. She was good to entertain herself mostly lol

Next year we're doing at a park with Costco sandwich trays lol

Katie on Instagram: “🎈🥳”
  • Options
    We had a busy but good weekend.  

Saturday both kids had games.   Chiquito had his baseball game in the morning and Chiquita had her 2nd to last soccer game in the afternoon.  We caught up with her old coach who said she had good instincts which was a nice compliment when she let a couple goals in.  Sometimes it just happens!  Then we were off to Defender Marine since both kids were outgrowing their life jackets.  (Side note: THANK YOU Defender for still requiring masks to be worn regardless of vaccination status!)  

Sunday we had church and DH took the kids to the pool while I did laundry.  I met him there and my uncle joined us for a boat ride.  There was (and still may be) something wrong with the engine so our ride was at the speed of driving Miss Daisy.  Before dinner FIL came down and he and DH took the cover on the motor.  DH discovered that one of the boots was off the spark plug and he's hoping that putting it back in place fixed it.  The marina has been flat out getting boats ready however this is going to be addressed because they are supposed to do a river test on the boat and this should have been caught before that.  We're lucky we didn't try to go out into the bay/sound where they would be more waves vs. the river or the channel where we were most of the time. 

It was nearly 90 yesterday and will be warm today.  I need to get back to coming up with grilled dinners again.  It's time! 
  • Options
    It was a busy good weekend.  

Friday night I met my BFF for dinner and a Kohls trip.  It was so nice to just hang out.

Saturday, DH had a mandatory work meeting in the morning with the new owners.  All the employees show up and it was cancelled 15 mins prior to start time.  They have no idea why.  So he went off to get a haircut. I had planned to pick up my Mom and bring her to our house to make dessert for nephew's graduation celebration.  Did that and picked up a Sam's Club order.  We went to lunch with Mom and ran some errands.  Came home and made ice cream dessert.  Mom hung out with us until supper time.

Sunday we had church and I did laundry.  Then I moved my hanging flower baskets to a new, shadier location.  It's our first summer here and still learning what plants will work in what spots.  We had an early dinner at a nice restaurant for nephew's H.S. graduation.  Afterwards, everyone came to our house for dessert & gifts.  We had a nice visit. 

Back to work today.  This afternoon I need to go back on campus for a few hours.  Someone else will be moving into my cubicle.  I need to return my pager and desk keys.  Otherwise, haircut this week but nothing else on the schedule yet.
  • Options
    Weekend was okay.  Friday I went over to a friend's apartment and we hung out in the hot tub for awhile and then watched half of Cruella b/c I fell asleep and just stayed at their place rather than try and drive home so later. Cruella is AWESOME and that's only having watched half.  I'm going to try and catch the rest this week.

I came into work on Saturday and took care of some things.  My new keyboard came in and I love it.  It has all sort of fun lights and an old fashioned typewriter keyboard, which is amazing.  I can already type so much faster and I love the feel of it.  It's also making me put my hands in the correct position again, which is helping with all of the other ulnar/carpal tunnel issues.

Sunday I did all of my housework stuffs and watched some television/movies.  Nothing too earth shattering.  Just trying to rest and find a new normal now that it feels like life is finally settling down and I can actually start working on healing.
  • Options
    Weekend was fine. A lot of family time both days. How do you all handle family parties/ get together a requests? Do both partners go? Does one take the kid and the other stay home? 

H is an introvert and gatherings are a lot for him. We had a lot of stuff last weekend, then two birthdays this weekend. He went to the one on his side but skipped my Moms yesterday. I took the baby alone. I also took the baby alone to a picnic last weekend. I want to be supportive that being with a lot of people is stressful for him but also it’s hard to do solo parenting all day long. What do other people do? Any other extroverts married to introverts? 
  • Options
    Weekend was fine. A lot of family time both days. How do you all handle family parties/ get together a requests? Do both partners go? Does one take the kid and the other stay home? 

H is an introvert and gatherings are a lot for him. We had a lot of stuff last weekend, then two birthdays this weekend. He went to the one on his side but skipped my Moms yesterday. I took the baby alone. I also took the baby alone to a picnic last weekend. I want to be supportive that being with a lot of people is stressful for him but also it’s hard to do solo parenting all day long. What do other people do? Any other extroverts married to introverts? 
    In general we go together to parties when possible.  The only time we've split is if one or the other has some kind of time commitment.  Once your LO is a walker, could your H be the person on chase?  I always remember that when my kids were toddlers, when we went to any get together, one of us was on "duty" and the other was visiting.  That generally meant that I chased kids at his family gatherings and he chased at mine.    I remember that when the kids could not be trusted it meant that we'd talk ahead of time and say, "OK, you eat your Easter dinner and I'll feed kiddo and then I'll eat while you finish up and watch."   

I am married to someone who CRAVES alone time.  It's needed for his mental health but he's also extroverted to the point that he'll mingle.    

In your situation can you either talk to your DH and ask if he'd be cool with being on kiddo duty OR if he'd be open to the idea of you going to an event but he's absolutely taking over when you get home?    I do not remember gatherings with his family with fondness when the kids were in unfamiliar territory and I couldn't trust them to not run into the road or a pool.   It was high tension parenting and mentally exhausting in its own right.    Your DH may have his own mental exhaustion in attending parties so you may both need to figure out what makes the greatest sense. 
  • Options
    Weekend was a lot. Some good, some not so good. I spent Friday night with a close friend who is struggling hard with PPD. I wish I could have stayed the weekend but I had appointments the next day. Saturday was an exercise in endurance with all the errands and appointments I had, especially on no sleep. But I’m really glad I got to see my friend even if it was just one night. Unfortunately she lives two hours away so it’s not something I can help out with easily. And she needs someone there with her physically. 

Yesterday I did a hike with FSIL and then FI and I had a little date night. This morning was a little rough with staff complaints and a flat tire but I’m here and it’s a short week. 

• Options
    Got home yesterday. Trying to get some things done before heading back this weekend for 3rd birthday festivities. I can't believe the twins will be three! I'm bringing the cakes again this year. They totally know all about birthday cakes now. They wanted to make sure I know they need to have candles on them!

I started looking at tile for our master bath renovation. I love marble but don't love the maintenance or the price. I'm thinking about going with porcelain marble look for floor and shower with quartz for counter top. Anybody have experience? I have looked at prices and porcelain is so much cheaper. Can you get slabs of quartz for floor/wall and what is price point? The tile shop didn't have quartz? I've just started preliminary shopping. I can also ask the designer about it. Just thought if any of y'all had experience it would be great. We are also doing our living room fireplace surround. That will be marble. It is such a small amount it won't cost that much and it will be worth the look.

I have a stretch therapy appointment this afternoon and boy do I need it! I am so tight in so many places!

The cicadas came out in full blast while I was gone. I'm afraid to even do yard work less I be attacked by those flying critters. Hopefully they won't be around too much longer. They are deafening for sure. We also have to keep the dogs from eating them - yuck!
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2021
    @ILoveBeachMusic, if you want to do direct material and pattern comparison, I cannot recommend Floors and Decor in Castleton (by Dave and Buster's) enough.  It's where we got our new flooring.  They have so many options and price points.  Their staff really helped us out when we had questions.  Set aside at least 2 hours for your initial visit because you will get sucked in quickly.  
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

admittedly I never had a ton of stuff to go to like that, even before covid, but unless it was something with my family (usually just a holiday/birthday related) or his once a year extended family christmas gathering, I always take B alone. H has no interest in going to kid birthday parties or play dates or whatever so I always take B alone bc I'm not going to drag someone who doesn't want to go. Now if it was a party for a friend of his kid then I'm sure we'd all go, I doubt he'd ever take him alone 
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    @ILoveBeachMusic we don't have cicadas by me, but I was just driving home on the NE side of 465 right before 69 and was pretty sure I heard them even over the sound of the radio and closed windows of the car. I was shocked. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:

In general we go together to parties when possible.  The only time we've split is if one or the other has some kind of time commitment.  Once your LO is a walker, could your H be the person on chase?  I always remember that when my kids were toddlers, when we went to any get together, one of us was on "duty" and the other was visiting.  That generally meant that I chased kids at his family gatherings and he chased at mine.    I remember that when the kids could not be trusted it meant that we'd talk ahead of time and say, "OK, you eat your Easter dinner and I'll feed kiddo and then I'll eat while you finish up and watch."   

I am married to someone who CRAVES alone time.  It's needed for his mental health but he's also extroverted to the point that he'll mingle.    

In your situation can you either talk to your DH and ask if he'd be cool with being on kiddo duty OR if he'd be open to the idea of you going to an event but he's absolutely taking over when you get home?    I do not remember gatherings with his family with fondness when the kids were in unfamiliar territory and I couldn't trust them to not run into the road or a pool.   It was high tension parenting and mentally exhausting in its own right.    Your DH may have his own mental exhaustion in attending parties so you may both need to figure out what makes the greatest sense. 
    He’s definitely happy to do kid chase when he goes because he doesn’t have to talk to as many people. He definitely gets the mental and emotional exhaustion at parties and I feel bad for him that it’s so tough. He has taken Baby M when we get home so that I can rest. It just feels hard to decide what to press and say “I really think you should come too” or not. 
  • Options
    @charlotte989875 we always do everything together.  I'm certainly less extrovert than H so I have done a lot of what Banana suggested.  He can chat and whatever at his things and i'll wrangle the baby, at my family stuff its usually my mom wrangling the baby and we can both chill a little.  I get needing time and being exhausted with gatherings, but at the same time, it's not fair to bow out all the time just because it's not your favorite.  

@ILoveBeachMusic we decided on Corian for our shower and countertops.  Has a similar look as quartz but can be done in solid slabs (I hate grout with a passion) so only seams are in corners.  It can also easily be re-sanded/re-finished.  I LOVE the look of quartz though too and it's super low maintenance.  Second the recommendation of Floor and Decor for comps.  We have one close by and it is awesome. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2021
    kvruns said:
    @ILoveBeachMusic we don't have cicadas by me, but I was just driving home on the NE side of 465 right before 69 and was pretty sure I heard them even over the sound of the radio and closed windows of the car. I was shocked. 
    We went to the south side yesterday and they were loud AF.  We hear NOTHING around here.  Our friend's dogs were having a heyday eating them all as snacks.  

My sister says she can also hear them above her radio driving around down there, even going highway speeds. 
  • Options
    kvruns said:

admittedly I never had a ton of stuff to go to like that, even before covid, but unless it was something with my family (usually just a holiday/birthday related) or his once a year extended family christmas gathering, I always take B alone. H has no interest in going to kid birthday parties or play dates or whatever so I always take B alone bc I'm not going to drag someone who doesn't want to go. Now if it was a party for a friend of his kid then I'm sure we'd all go, I doubt he'd ever take him alone 
    Does that ever bug you? For H it’s more that gatherings are a lot of mental work for him and it’s exhausting but it also sort of feels like if I want Baby M to go it’s on me. 
  • Options
    We reach a point with kid parties that it's only one of us who goes if it's a friend.  Like if it's Chiquita's good friend then I'm going.  

Some of it is balance and some of it is also balancing at his end too.  You don't have to attend all parties either!
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    We reach a point with kid parties that it's only one of us who goes if it's a friend.  Like if it's Chiquita's good friend then I'm going.  

Some of it is balance and some of it is also balancing at his end too.  You don't have to attend all parties either!
    Yah I’m not sure if it’s better or worse that these are all family parties. So his nephew and my Mom this weekend. So we both went to my newphews and he skipped out on my Moms. I’m definitely okay with saying no occasionally it just feels like we haven’t seen people in a while. 

I guess this is what navigating postpandemic social gatherings will be like. 
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    @charlotte989875 we always do everything together.  I'm certainly less extrovert than H so I have done a lot of what Banana suggested.  He can chat and whatever at his things and i'll wrangle the baby, at my family stuff its usually my mom wrangling the baby and we can both chill a little.  I get needing time and being exhausted with gatherings, but at the same time, it's not fair to bow out all the time just because it's not your favorite.  

@ILoveBeachMusic we decided on Corian for our shower and countertops.  Has a similar look as quartz but can be done in solid slabs (I hate grout with a passion) so only seams are in corners.  It can also easily be re-sanded/re-finished.  I LOVE the look of quartz though too and it's super low maintenance.  Second the recommendation of Floor and Decor for comps.  We have one close by and it is awesome. 
    Thanks that helps! This is sort of where I’m at but I do recognize that it’s actually really tough for him. If it was just him not digging family parties it would be a different story because I think he genuinely needs more alone time than I do. But also I don’t want to get to the point where I’m mad about this, yah know? 
  • Options
    Hubby rarely goes to my family events, but I always go to his.  He is more the introvert, but it's more that .... my family is sort of a lot to an outsider?  They definitely don't bother me (except one brother). Hubby takes things personally, so he ends up not enjoying the visits as much.  I keep telling him that I'm going to be as grouchy as my dad when I get to be his age so he'd better get used to it, lol.  

I finally got my first shot this weekend!  I had a sore arm and was tired yesterday, but that's it.  2nd shot is scheduled for end of September.  Sigh on that!

• Options
    banana468 said:

Yah I’m not sure if it’s better or worse that these are all family parties. So his nephew and my Mom this weekend. So we both went to my newphews and he skipped out on my Moms. I’m definitely okay with saying no occasionally it just feels like we haven’t seen people in a while. 

I guess this is what navigating postpandemic social gatherings will be like. 
    I'm an extroverted-introvert.  I like being around people and have no issue socializing, but I'm most comfortable at home with my family.  WAH works for me since I'm very OK with popping in earbuds and listening to a podcast and I work better independently.

I'm pretty outgoing when I feel like being 'on' and enjoy my time socializing, but I'm finding I'm even struggling with having all.the.plans all of a sudden.  It all feels like a lot.  My anxiety is manifesting in ways it never has before and I also suffer from 'plans' fatigue a lot lately.    

When the kids were younger and the kiddo still needed one of us to cart him all over, we'd do a lot of dividing and conquering.  DH and I only miss family things when there's unchangeable plans for the other person.  

At baby M's age, I think he needs to suck it up a little more for family stuff because it IS exhausting to chase a toddler on your own while trying to be social.  I remember events alone with little DefConn and leaving as soon as it was 'socially' acceptable so we could go home and I could put him down/not stressed, LOL.  
  • Options
    I also definitely remember being in the opposite group.  In the "Dude I'm tired.  My back hurts.  I was already up at night with the kids and just chased them and yes I can sleep in the car but I don't WANT to sleep in the car.  I want to go home.  I know you're having fun.  I'm tired."  

And we had to navigate and balance because when we didn' see friends that often I stayed up later.  

It is a lot easier now but I'm sure we'll encounter times where I have to be vocal that I'm done with an event and I am exceeding my level of comfort.    
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    kvruns said:

Does that ever bug you? For H it’s more that gatherings are a lot of mental work for him and it’s exhausting but it also sort of feels like if I want Baby M to go it’s on me. 
    not really, but then again I'm so used to being the involved parent almost all the time that it is usually just easier to take him places myself anyway. At my parents house (where it's really just immediate family anyway) he will sometimes go take him outside to play, probably just to not have to talk to anyone. I have had to answer several "where's H" questions at parties when everyone else has both parents there and wonders why he's not there but I'm just like eh he's not coming. I had one neighbor keep pushing why he didn't come over to their house bc she wanted him to hang out with her husband and it was so annoying because I didn't want to just be like "he doesn't want to be social" but really that was the answer. 
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    mrsconn23 said:
    kvruns said:
    We went to the south side yesterday and they were loud AF.  We hear NOTHING around here.  Our friend's dogs were having a heyday eating them all as snacks.  

My sister says she can also hear them above her radio driving around down there, even going highway speeds.

STUCK
    Hmm I was just on the southside today but didnt hear anything. My parents neighborhood has been around since the 80s I think but I haven't noticed anything there and they haven't mentioned it now that I think about it 
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    kvruns said:

STUCK
    Hmm I was just on the southside today but didnt hear anything. My parents neighborhood has been around since the 80s I think but I haven't noticed anything there and they haven't mentioned it now that I think about it 
    So weird.  We were about as far south as you can go before you're out of Greenwood and it was just a full-on drone in her neighborhood of cicadas the whole time.  
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    mrsconn23 said:
    kvruns said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    kvruns said:

STUCK
    So weird.  We were about as far south as you can go before you're out of Greenwood and it was just a full-on drone in her neighborhood of cicadas the whole time.  
    very weird!  I was first in southern Greenwood/Whiteland and heard nothing, though it was around a newer developed area, and my parents are near the mall
  • Options
    Yeah I heard that it is primarily east and south that the cicadas are so bad. My stretch therapist's parents have a lake house in Brown County. She said they were horrible down there the weekend of Memorial Day. If you get west of Binford they aren't bad at all. Go figure!