Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

How to Explain a 5-minute Virtual Wedding Ceremony on an invitation

We're planning a Fall wedding, but due to Covid and other logistical concerns we are keeping the wedding extremely small (think only immediate family in-person).  I'm working on wording for our invitations and am having trouble on the language - I have no issue communicating we're keeping things virtual, but the issue is that the stream we're going to offer will literally only be for about a 5 minute ceremony.  We're going to be essentially just eating after that (not doing first dances, etc.).  I don't want guests to be thrown off expecting to be included in the entire reception.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a way to tactfully explain this in an invite?  Or would it be better for me to personally give each guest the head's up in advance of the invitation?  Thanks so much!!!

Re: How to Explain a 5-minute Virtual Wedding Ceremony on an invitation

• Options
    We're planning a Fall wedding, but due to Covid and other logistical concerns we are keeping the wedding extremely small (think only immediate family in-person).  I'm working on wording for our invitations and am having trouble on the language - I have no issue communicating we're keeping things virtual, but the issue is that the stream we're going to offer will literally only be for about a 5 minute ceremony.  We're going to be essentially just eating after that (not doing first dances, etc.).  I don't want guests to be thrown off expecting to be included in the entire reception.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a way to tactfully explain this in an invite?  Or would it be better for me to personally give each guest the head's up in advance of the invitation?  Thanks so much!!!
    Is just the ceremony virtual? Are you hosting guest in person for the reception? 
  • Options
    I totally agree with @flantastic.  If these are people who are not being invited (in person) to the ceremony, then they aren't being invited and you absolutely should not send any kind of invitation/announcement with only a link to watch the ceremony.  It would be confusing and possibly insulting.

It's fine to have small wedding with only immediate family.  But you also don't want to rub it in people's faces that they didn't make the "cut" and got a "not really an invite" to livestream it.

With that said, if it comes up via word of mouth, like Aunt May/Uncle Jim ask about the wedding.  Then you all can tell them that, due to the pandemic, you all have kept the guest list to only immediate family but will e-mail them the link to livestream the ceremony if they would like to.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, I agree with PPs don't send an invitation to a live stream if they aren't being invited to the ceremony for reasons stated above. People in general aren't that interested in weddings to watch them unless they are super close to the couple. If people ask, share the link.
  • Options
    I agree with others. I wouldn't send an invitation if they're not actually invited to anything. Regardless of your intentions, I'd worry it would come off as a gift grab. 

I would put the link somewhere handy to share with people who ask, and maybe circulate via email around your closest family members. You could also record it and post a short clip on social media after the fact.
  • Options
    I also agree with PPs. Don't send invitations to virtual ceremonies.

But you can share the link and post it on your social media after the ceremony.
  • Options
    you can follow the video of your ceremony after