Wedding Woes
Options

What's the hurry?

I have TSA PreCheck through my job. When my wife and I travel together, is it rude for me to use the PreCheck line? She thinks I should go through the standard security line with her. I think it makes more sense for me to use the PreCheck line. If I get through security faster, I can get us a spot at the gate or a table at a restaurant while she’s still in line. What say you?

— Tired of Taking Off My Shoes

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What's the hurry?

• Options
    Theoretically it's not a terrible idea but what if LW's wife has anxiety about security checks?
    Like if M had the option, I would also ask he wait because even though I have nothing I have the nerves of someone smuggling a pound of cocaine ...
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2021
    If I had tsa pre and my travel buddy didn’t, I’d just stay with them so we’re together.  Now. If my travel buddy was a SO, I’d also try to convince them to get it, but that’s a moot point right now.

i traveled with someone who had the global entry and omg she was past customs 1 hour ahead of me! And she waited for me despite me texting her and telling her not to. Her hubby was on the other end of customs so they had like a good hour to catch anyway.

• Options
    No, go through the pre-check line. If she asks that you wait at the end of regular security for her, that would be polite and I think you should - but I dont' think there's a need at all for you to go through the slower line with her just to stand together.  

H and I dealt with this for years because he kept putting off getting the pre-check thing.  It was like $75 for 3 or 5 years and well worth it imo.  I have it through my job. I never went through the regular line with him!
  • Options
    If I had tsa pre and my travel buddy didn’t, I’d just stay with them so we’re together.  Now. If my travel buddy was a SO, I’d also try to convince them to get it, but that’s a moot point right now.

i traveled with someone who had the global entry and omg she was past customs 1 hour ahead of me! And she waited for me despite me texting her and telling her not to. Her hubby was on the other end of customs so they had like a good hour to catch anyway.
    what's "global entry" ?
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger it’s pre check but better.  Basically gets you in a faster line on international flights as well as domestic.  I dont think you even need tsa pre if you have global. It’s more $, but if you do enough international travel WELL worth it

• Options
    Maybe a UO but I think LW is kind of an ass for just dipping out and leaving his SO alone. Sure, SO should really get a pre-check if they fly frequently, but right now that’s besides the point. I also feel like their “excuses” for going through first are kind of weak. 

• Options
    IMO, sort of depends on the airport and what you're doing and any anxiety and if there are kids.

I can't remember if TSA Pre or Global entry extends to the kids but l have a pending application for Global Entry (stupid Covid has wrecked the interview process) and fully intended to take advantage of getting through lines faster than DH when we were going to Florida by plane  in order to get things settled on the other side. 

Unless there are logistical issues here I think the wife is picking a fight AND he's making the regular line longer! 

• Options
    banana468 said:
    IMO, sort of depends on the airport and what you're doing and any anxiety and if there are kids.

I can't remember if TSA Pre or Global entry extends to the kids but l have a pending application for Global Entry (stupid Covid has wrecked the interview process) and fully intended to take advantage of getting through lines faster than DH when we were going to Florida by plane  in order to get things settled on the other side. 

Unless there are logistical issues here I think the wife is picking a fight AND he's making the regular line longer! 

I was coming here to add exactly this!  I'd be so annoyed in the main line if I kept seeing people who COULD go faster, mixed in too.  Why would add time for other ppl?  This is dumb, use the fastest line you're able to use.  
  • Options
    Its been so long since I have traveled but I would probably just try to go through with my SO. If that wasn't an option I would make them take the bags with the laptops and such to even it out.
  • Options
    Its been so long since I have traveled but I would probably just try to go through with my SO. If that wasn't an option I would make them take the bags with the laptops and such to even it out.
    This is also the good point.  Use the line to your advantage to lessen the load on the other person.  It doesn't need to be a "your stuff/my stuff" situation and then you can say, "Oh let me do this FOR you."

It's been over a year since I got on a plane but I'd be irritated if I thought I could be sipping a coffee 10 minutes earlier except for the snowflakes that think their SOs are big meanies for leaving them alone. 
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    Maybe a UO but I think LW is kind of an ass for just dipping out and leaving his SO alone. Sure, SO should really get a pre-check if they fly frequently, but right now that’s besides the point. I also feel like their “excuses” for going through first are kind of weak. 
    I agree with you on this.  And maybe it would depend on the airport/flights being taken also.  Because I also think his reasons sound lame.  To get seats at the gate?  I've been to a lot of airports and have never experienced that.  There are seats everywhere.  Even a "worst case scenario" where there aren't two seats together at the gate, then go one gate over and walk an extra 10 feet.  It's NBD.  Maybe if they're planning to eat at an actual restaurant in the airport, because those can get filled up fast.  But then, I don't eat at sit-down restaurants when I first arrive at an airport.  I might do that for a long layover.

If his wife didn't mind his going to precheck without her, I don't think there is anything wrong with the LW doing that.  But she does mind.  So don't do it.  Keep her company, if that is what she wants.

Or make it more enticing for her so that she will want the LW to do precheck.  @banana468, gave some good examples!  I'm like the wife in this letter.  I'd prefer my H to just stay with me, unless there was a good reason for him to use precheck.  But offering to take my carry on so I only had to worry about my purse and shoes, would tilt me over to his side. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Theoretically it's not a terrible idea but what if LW's wife has anxiety about security checks?
    Like if M had the option, I would also ask he wait because even though I have nothing I have the nerves of someone smuggling a pound of cocaine ...
    On the flight home from ATL that I just took in May, Pam and I had gone to LiviRae's which is a specialty bra shop owned by two of the women on 90 Day Fiance.  I had purchased some special fabric wash.  It was powder, not a liquid.  But came in a container like talcum powder, only twice as big.  I didn't have a checked bag, so it was just in my carry-on.

Apparently, I didn't think about what bringing a big container of powder would entail for going through security, lol.  They pulled my bag and called me over to the side.  First, the agent told me I couldn't bring it on the plane.  I spoke nicely and respectfully, but I also knew that was bs.  I said something like, "It's actually a powder though, not a liquid, so I think I can?"  Another agent overheard me and told the guy I could bring it on, but only if I allowed them to test it.  I told them that was fine.  I got the impression the first guy was newer.  The second agent walked him through how to test it.  They put a sample on a little piece of paper and then put a few drops of some kind of blue chemical on it.  The color of the drops didn't change, so I was good to go.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    I agree with you on this.  And maybe it would depend on the airport/flights being taken also.  Because I also think his reasons sound lame.  To get seats at the gate?  I've been to a lot of airports and have never experienced that.  There are seats everywhere.  Even a "worst case scenario" where there aren't two seats together at the gate, then go one gate over and walk an extra 10 feet.  It's NBD.  Maybe if they're planning to eat at an actual restaurant in the airport, because those can get filled up fast.  But then, I don't eat at sit-down restaurants when I first arrive at an airport.  I might do that for a long layover.

If his wife didn't mind his going to precheck without her, I don't think there is anything wrong with the LW doing that.  But she does mind.  So don't do it.  Keep her company, if that is what she wants.

Or make it more enticing for her so that she will want the LW to do precheck.  @banana468, gave some good examples!  I'm like the wife in this letter.  I'd prefer my H to just stay with me, unless there was a good reason for him to use precheck.  But offering to take my carry on so I only had to worry about my purse and shoes, would tilt me over to his side. 
    This may be the difference in seats and seats with outlets/chargers. 

Unless it's a very popular time (holidays, spring break) I haven't had issues sitting.

However I HAVE had issues finding a place to plug in my gadgets to charge.  And if I want to work on the plane or watch a movie on the laptop or have a few hours of Candy Crush then I want to get onto a plane with my devices that are optimum battery levels.  So there can be a big difference there and I have been in positions where I'm traveling alone and it's a PITA to find a spot where I can sit and charge. 

• Options
    banana468 said:
    levioosa said:

This may be the difference in seats and seats with outlets/chargers. 

Unless it's a very popular time (holidays, spring break) I haven't had issues sitting.

However I HAVE had issues finding a place to plug in my gadgets to charge.  And if I want to work on the plane or watch a movie on the laptop or have a few hours of Candy Crush then I want to get onto a plane with my devices that are optimum battery levels.  So there can be a big difference there and I have been in positions where I'm traveling alone and it's a PITA to find a spot where I can sit and charge. 

Thanks, that makes more sense.  I don't usually plug anything in at that airport, so I didn't think of that.

It just occurred to me that NOLA is pretty centrally located, at least if you're talking east/west.  My flights are just never that long, relatively speaking.  The furthest I've gone (domestically) is when my H and I flew back from Portland, OR for our honeymoon.  That was 4.5 hours.

For fun, I thought about the "furthest from me" places I could fly in the continental US.  Maine was 4 hours.  Seattle was 5 hours.

I need to up my travel game, though!  God willing, I'm flying to Barcelona in April.  I've never been on a flight anywhere near that long.  I need to figure out this charging stuff and how to be as comfortable as possible, including sleeping (or trying to).

When I was young and still living in CA, we flew to OH a couple times and to Hawaii.  Those were really long flights, though still nothing compared to Barcelona.  Though they were also before the Internet.  I finished entire novels on those flights, lol.  I specifically remember one book.  I started it when we were taking off at LAX and had just finished the last page when we were parked at the gate in Columbus and people were starting to grab their carry ons, lol.  I don't read books twice, so I left it on a seat at the gate.  Figured someone else who likes to read while they're flying would enjoy a free book.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy I need to up my travel game, though!  God willing, I'm flying to Barcelona in April.  I've never been on a flight anywhere near that long.  I need to figure out this charging stuff and how to be as comfortable as possible, including sleeping (or trying to).

Int'l flying is so much nicer than domestic. 1) alcohol is free. So have the wine. 2) tvs in every seat with decent movies. They will provide headphones but I recommend bringing your own. 3) they will give you a blanket on long, overnight flights. The pillow is shit though so a neck pillow helps. 4) there is an USB chargers at every seat. 

If you are someone who knows you will be up and down, 100% grab an aisle seat. Also, I might get dragged for this but idc, I bring hard bottomed slippers and change into them. It really helps me be comfortable on long flights.
  • Options
    I know our o’hare airport can get busy but I dunno, the lines at midway have never been horrible for me, so I never even seriously thought of tsa pre

• Options
    I fly out of WIndsor Locks (Hartford) and if I had more early morning flights you can bet I'd be using TSA pre.  It's the first flights that leave at 6:30 or so that create such long lines at TSA.  If you get there after the morning rush it isn't so bad.  

If I flew more for work I'd absolutely push for TSA pre even as an OOP expense just to get me a bit more time. 

• Options
    @short+sassy I need to up my travel game, though!  God willing, I'm flying to Barcelona in April.  I've never been on a flight anywhere near that long.  I need to figure out this charging stuff and how to be as comfortable as possible, including sleeping (or trying to).

Int'l flying is so much nicer than domestic. 1) alcohol is free. So have the wine. 2) tvs in every seat with decent movies. They will provide headphones but I recommend bringing your own. 3) they will give you a blanket on long, overnight flights. The pillow is shit though so a neck pillow helps. 4) there is an USB chargers at every seat. 

If you are someone who knows you will be up and down, 100% grab an aisle seat. Also, I might get dragged for this but idc, I bring hard bottomed slippers and change into them. It really helps me be comfortable on long flights.
    Thanks for the tips.  I did not know the alcohol was free!  I've never had alcohol on a plane because I'm too cheap to pay for the drinks, lol.  But for a flight this long, I probably would have ponied up so even better it is free.  And yeah chargers at the seat.

I don't get up and down that much and vastly prefer a window seat, so I can lean against the plane.  I wonder how much extra it will be to pick a seat?  I miss the old days when it wasn't an extra charge, lol.

No judgement from me!  Hard bottomed slippers sound great.  For flying, I make the major fashion faux pas of wearing slide on sandals with socks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy the alcohol is free but I never drink on an overnight flight to Europe. I just feel even worse the next day when I do. 
  • Options
    I've never been on an international flight where I didn't pick a seat. I know I have paid extra to have more leg room but when I didn't do that the seat was included in the price of the ticket. 
  • Options
    That clip is funny.   I'm team Sunny and Sarah. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    That clip is funny.   I'm team Sunny and Sarah. 
    Me too!!  I'm LOVING Her comments about the vows.