Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Reception Distance at Destination Wedding

We are having a destination wedding in Las Vegas. We are expecting anywhere from 20-40 guests to attend. We're having the ceremony at Valley of Fire State Park which I believe is about 45 minutes to an hour from the strip where we will be staying. Same for all of the places for the reception which are back on the strip, about another 45 minutes to an hour ride from the ceremony at Valley of Fire. Is this ok given the circumstances? I should also mention that we are paying for the transportation for our guests by renting a couple of party buses. 

Re: Reception Distance at Destination Wedding

• Options
    If you are arranging the transportation to and from the ceremony site it's better.  I still think it's a bit far but if they don't need to drive at all then it's not so bad.
  • Options
    Agree that it's a bit far, but if you're providing transportation for everyone that should be OK. 
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We are having a destination wedding in Las Vegas. We are expecting anywhere from 20-40 guests to attend. We're having the ceremony at Valley of Fire State Park which I believe is about 45 minutes to an hour from the strip where we will be staying. Same for all of the places for the reception which are back on the strip, about another 45 minutes to an hour ride from the ceremony at Valley of Fire. Is this ok given the circumstances? I should also mention that we are paying for the transportation for our guests by renting a couple of party buses. 

The guests will require a 45 minute trip TO the ceremony and a return trip for the reception.  The reception is near lodging for the guests.  Since the trip to the reception basically ends at or near their lodging, I don't think it is that awful.  The fact that the guests can get to and from the events worry free makes it even better!
  • Options
    It’s a little far, but having transportation makes it less bad. If the reception is near the hotel I think that’s a lot better. 

One tip- have water/snacks on the busses or at the ceremony site. I was at a DW in the Outerbanks in NC in the summer. It took a few trips to get everyone out to the ceremony location & having water/ snacks helped a ton. 
  • Options
    Turns out it's a little over an hour away :( but we are getting party buses so there will be drinks, snacks and TVs!
  • Options
    Will the guests be able to easily get back to their accommodations? We were just at a wedding. The transportation buses didn't start coming until 7 hours after the ceremony which was held at the same place as the reception. That was way too long to expect everyone to hang around. If you have different times for return transportation or guests can easily get back to their hotels that isn't a problem.
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    Will the guests be able to easily get back to their accommodations? We were just at a wedding. The transportation buses didn't start coming until 7 hours after the ceremony which was held at the same place as the reception. That was way too long to expect everyone to hang around. If you have different times for return transportation or guests can easily get back to their hotels that isn't a problem.
    Yes!  Good catch.  We offered transportation from the venue back to the hotel for our OOT guests.  The trip was barely 15 minutes.  But I do remember now that we offered an earlier shuttle return for those that chose not to stay for the entirety of the reception!

• Options
    MobKaz said:
    Yes!  Good catch.  We offered transportation from the venue back to the hotel for our OOT guests.  The trip was barely 15 minutes.  But I do remember now that we offered an earlier shuttle return for those that chose not to stay for the entirety of the reception!

Good to "see" you again @MobKaz! Hope all is well with you and yours.
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    MobKaz said:

Good to "see" you again @MobKaz! Hope all is well with you and yours.

We're working on it.  Life keeps tossing curveballs.  Thankfully, none have been earth shattering, but we have learned not to get too comfy at the moment.  We are also at several crossroads, and change/decisions are not my strong suit.  Debating retirement, which no one thinks I will ever do, along with downsizing/relocating, and all the other "senior" considerations.
    I have been logging in every now and again.  Congratulations on your newest grandson!  So thrilled all went well for him and your DD.