Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

How to write wedding vows?

Who is writing their own vows, or wrote your own? What are you saying in them? I want them to be personal but I am not a writer! When I think about them I have no idea how long they should be, and how to keep them personal but not too personal, if that makes sense. I'm looking for some wedding vow examples but also just advice form people who had good wedding vow ideas! 

And are you showing your vows to anyone before your wedding ceremony, or keeping them private? 

Are you making yours romantic? funny? poems? inside jokes? religious/spiritual? serious vs lighthearted? short vs long? There are too many choices!! 

Thanks!!

Re: How to write wedding vows?

• Options
    One thing to remember is that vows are promises to one another not jokes. They are about your commitments to each other. Some states have requirements about vows (if you are in the US) so you might need to check on that. I personally don't like vows that have inside jokes because that isn't what they should be about. They can of course have a funny moment or a light hearted moment but they are a serious part of the wedding ceremony. Whether they are religious or spiritual depend on you and your partner. If those things are important to the two of you, then include those elements in your vows.
  • Options
    Another thing to remember, along with what @ILoveBeachMusic says above, is to keep your vows relatively short. I would not go above 5 minutes total, including any required wording, and I would keep them both serious and focused on the promises you are making each other. For example, I wouldn't discuss your personal or romantic histories in your vows, although I understand the temptation to include that kind of information here.
  • Options
    In my opinion, the religious vows from many traditions *are* personal, but if you would prefer to have a secular ceremony, you can find some good examples online. I agree that whatever you come up with should be serious and not include inside jokes. You can save those for the toasts at the reception.