Wedding Woes
Options

Classic: Don't. Participate. In. Erasure.

A friend of mine recently came out as queer, and I’m not sure how to feel about it. First starters, she has only dated men and is currently married to a man. She is a stay-at-home mother with two kids and wants another one. For all intents and purposes, she lives a very heterosexual lifestyle. I would never accuse someone of lying about her sexuality but I don’t think she’s really queer. She has always been an attention-seeker which is why I think she’s claiming to be queer. Homophobia is very real and I’m afraid people like my friend who pretend to be queer are trivializing real issues faced by gay people. How can I tell her to stop?

Re: Classic: Don't. Participate. In. Erasure.

• Options
    The things that people feel they should insert themselves into
  • Options
    With friends like you, LW, who needs enemies?  Do this person a favor and distance yourself from them.   They don't need people who think like you in their lives and it doesn't sound like you like them very much. 

Also you think you're being an 'ally' by worrying about the plight of 'real' LGBTQ+ people, but you're doing it all wrong.  It starts in your closest relationships, and you've failed.  
  • Options
    Good news, LW.  What you think about someone's sexuality is irrelevant, so you don't need to (nor should you) "tell her to stop".

However, I do wholeheartedly agree with you that LGBTQ people face real issues (pointedly looking AT YOU, LW).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hey LW, fuck you. 

• Options
    Good news, LW.  What you think about someone's sexuality is irrelevant, so you don't need to (nor should you) "tell her to stop".

However, I do wholeheartedly agree with you that LGBTQ people face real issues (pointedly looking AT YOU, LW).
    Dude, I hate this post-fact world where someone's thoughts and feelings are 'facts'.  THEY'RE FUCKING NOT.  Guess what? Your thoughts and feelings aren't real for more than the time you think them or feel them because your thoughts and feelings CHANGE.  
  • Options
    In general the feelings of "this thing isn't relevant unless I deem it so" is such an AH attitude.   We see it with brides all the time when they have the "it's not a real relationship" all the time and it's worse when we see people of one race say that if they didn't experience the same thing as another race then their concerns aren't valid.   Eff off with all of it. 
  • Options
    I read “how can I tell her to stop?”

and I’m like “stop what?”

• Options
    I read “how can I tell her to stop?”

and I’m like “stop what?”
    LOL, right?  

Also people can be obnoxious and attention-seeking, in a 'hetero' marriage with kids, and queer.  All at the same time! 

You can tell someone to stop being 'attention seeking', but I don't think it will go over well.  But you shouldn't tell someone to 'stop being queer' because...um...that's not a thing?  

Again, I think this friendship should just be over. 
  • Options
    Prudie was so much nicer in that response than LW deserved. And honestly gave LW too much validation. LW deserved a tongue lashing. 

• Options
    levioosa said:
    Prudie was so much nicer in that response than LW deserved. And honestly gave LW too much validation. LW deserved a tongue lashing. 
    Agree, and doubly so on the worse MIL ever. 

Prudie needs some teeth.
  • Options
    Mind your own business and get a hobby.