Wedding Woes
Options

AITA For Not Inviting My Friend to Come Out Dress Shopping?

edited August 2021 in Wedding Woes
This is a Wedding-Related Question, and I ask for all before responding to please keep your personal opinions about the vaccine to yourself as the vaccine is a non-related topic to this question.
I have a friend who I haven't formally asked to be in my wedding party as a bridesmaid yet, but already knows I plan on asking her. I planned a dress shopping event in my hometown where one of the shops I went to only allowed a 7-person party max (myself being the 7th person in the group) due to COVID requirements. I was advised by my mother to keep my numbers low when dress shopping as there would be a lot of opinions, so I kept it to my family (being my mother, sister, 15 yr old niece, and my sister in law), my future mother in law, and my now maid of honor who flew into town from Seattle to visit for a week. And when my future mother in law couldn't get the time off from work (as she works 2 jobs) and I being super bummed about it before the event took place, I still took my mother's advice and kept my numbers low even when I suggested to her about inviting my mentioned friend (and I had not even asked this friend to come out before discussing this with my mother). And my sister in law and her family are staying with my parents and I due to evacuation from the Caldor fire.

Last Saturday was the day I went dress shopping, and none of us were expecting for me to find a dress that day. And somehow, I excitedly found THE ONE, the dress of my dreams that day. I was so happy, I wanted to privately share the news with a few people, and shared the news with said friend. Rather than to be joyful with me, she asked me who went with me, and took her personal feelings out on me, making me feel sad, and ruining what was supposed to be a special day for me. All because she wasn't invited out, and felt like she wasn't thought of, when she really was. I'm still hurt by this.

I also was being considerate of her when keeping this day to only my family and my maid of honor. Last month, my said friend took her frustrations out on my fiance and I because my fiance had just came down with COVID 72 hours after meeting up with her (symptons didn't show up right away, and my fiance and I wear masks wherever we go). And out of frustration, said she only wanted to be in gatherings with people who are vaccinated as she is pregnant and her husband has chrons, hurting my feelings in the process as she got upset over something we had no control over. To prevent risk, I only kept it to my family and my maid of honor as my maid of honor was the only person who is vaccinated in our group (PSA: THIS IS NOT A DISCUSSION ABOUT GETTING THE VACCINE OR DON'T!). And I wanted to uphold my end of our agreement from that conversation by asking her about future events to see if she would be comfortable in coming out.

I wasn't offended or hurt when she went dress shopping with her family and found her dress. But was disrespected and was hurt in how she reacted to mine, saying that "the way about it doesn't make someone feel good" and that she's really not trying to make this all about her, when it reality, she did.

So AITA for not including her in dress shopping?

Re: AITA For Not Inviting My Friend to Come Out Dress Shopping?

• Options
    edited August 2021
    @ei34 Thank you for your feedback!
    It's a big deal for a lot of people as I haven't had the best record of healthy and amazing relationships that could lead to marriage, and this one is a keeper to be married to for once and for all eternity! I also have a big family, and my fiance is an only child.
  • Options
    This is really melodramatic all the way around.  All you had to say to her was, "I was respecting what I thought where your wishes, which is to only be around vaccinated people.  That was not true of this group".  All of the rest of it is nonsense. 

I don't even know why you're trying to justify any of it with all of the really not related details.  You're holding onto some baggage that seems silly, and TBH, I feel like this is a big old leadup to either justifying not asking her into the wedding or asking her out of the wedding.  You're so intent on NTA, that you're missing that this is a really melodramatic thing for both of you to be invested so much in.
  • Options
    If her wishes are to only be around vaccinated people how can she be in your wedding? 

There seems like a lot of melodrama going around.  I don't think it's a big deal to shop without friends or to share your dress that you picked.  

Right now you do have a choice to not be vaccinated.  That said, with your choice comes consequences for doing so.  That can mean job consequences, family consequences and friend consequences and consequences of not going shopping or having a big wedding.    Not a wedding comment but I'm the mother of two children who are not old enough to receive the vaccine and their daily safety is compromised by those who refuse to be vaccinated based on choice and not the advice of their physicians.    
  • Options
    LOL. AITA for not getting vaccinated? Yes. Yes, you are. 

Also highly laughable that you logged onto a forum you've never posted on before, brought up Covid, and then told everyone not to talk about it. 

Also, your FI had Covid, was around people, none of ya'll are vaccinated. But yeah, let's not discuss the fact that you're actively putting people at risk, including your PREGNANT FRIEND and her HUSBAND THAT IS ILL. Wow. 

Don't really give a crap about anything else in this post. I had 3 people with me when I went dress shopping. Why do you need an entourage? How silly. 
    I deliberately took my mom and only my mom.  I would guess that entourage type appointments didn't become a thing until SYTTD.   The last thing I wanted was to experience tons of conflicting opinions. 
  • Options
    I think by bringing up the COVID shit, you wanted us to tell you that you are the asshole.  

Look dress shopping was attended by my WP when I finalized my dress selection  (which was my sisters, SIL, mom, and two friends) because we ordered my dress and BM dresses in one fell swoop, but I went several places on my own or with one other person to try on dresses and narrow down the silhouette that worked for me.  So, it's really NBD how it worked out IMO and you're both making this a bigger deal than it truly needed to be.  Everything about a wedding does not need to be made into an event. 

Her wedding has nothing to do with your wedding.  

On the issue of COVID, I firmly believe people who are able to be vaccinated and have no reason not to be should get the vaccine.   I think you being defensive about your choices is...something.  Maybe you should explore that and decide why you're choosing to not get vaccinated when you could (since you've not indicated otherwise).  Your friend was entirely justified in being upset that she'd been exposed to COVID by your FI. She and her H have medical conditions that have been proven to be greatly affected by coming down with COVID. It's a freaking fact.  

At this point, if you want her in the wedding...invite her to things.  Keep her apprised that you cannot guarantee the vaccination status of the attendees.   That's all you can really do...besides...IDK...getting vaccinated. 

• Options
    If I were her I’d be WAY more upset I was unnecessarily exposed to Covid when I was pregnant and had an immunocompromised spouse than not being included in dress shopping. 

But yah you can chose whoever you want to shop and that doesn’t make you AH. Exposing her to Covid when you do something to stop the spread and lessen exposure and severity does make you AH. 
  • Options
    MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2021
    mrsconn23 said:
    I think by bringing up the COVID shit, you wanted us to tell you that you are the asshole.  

Yep, and then she reports you for personal attack if you point out that she is in fact TA.

• Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2021
    Blah Blah Blah's aside - YANTA when it comes to dress shopping...  

As for the friend - IMHO she sounds like she's bringing more drama to the table than support for all things your wedding.  A great friend is going to be cheering your choice in dress on whether they were there or not and even if it isn't their style.. I only went dress shopping with my Mom - and one day I did take my MIL and SIL out just for a "we'll look for the sake of looking" trip (SIL was trying to get me to just wear her dress or purchase the same dress..  That got a NOPE!)..   I'd honestly reconsider having her as the BM or doing something else like the reading or ushering...
  • Options
    emmaella said:
    This is not the big deal for lots of people. I haven't experienced healthy and amazing relationships that could lead to marriage.

Thank you for bringing up a super valid point!

Those of us that haven't had healthy relationships doesn't equate to putting so much importance on a wedding dress. Don't make generalizations like that. It was important to YOU. And that's OK. But don't say it's important to people that haven't had healthy relationships.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards