Students
Options

ABSN and Wedding 2022

Hi everyone - My fiance and I are getting married in October of 2022 - I was just accepted into a accelerated nursing program which begins May of 2022 and is 15 months.  My fiance and I already have a venue booked, photographer/videographer, DJ, Officant, Cake Person so it is not possible to adjust.  My wedding is most important to me, however I really want to do this program! Any advice? Do you think it is doable and I can enjoy it? I already let the program director know during my interview (And she still accepted me! :smile:) and I also let my nursing advisor know, so i can get the clinical days made up that I would miss (Which would only be two).  I just want to make sure I am thinking about this logically.  If anyone has any advice I am all ears! In a perfect world I want to do both! Thank you for the help!

Re: ABSN and Wedding 2022

• Options
    pugsgsds said:
    Hi everyone - My fiance and I are getting married in October of 2022 - I was just accepted into a accelerated nursing program which begins May of 2022 and is 15 months.  My fiance and I already have a venue booked, photographer/videographer, DJ, Officant, Cake Person so it is not possible to adjust.  My wedding is most important to me, however I really want to do this program! Any advice? Do you think it is doable and I can enjoy it? I already let the program director know during my interview (And she still accepted me! :smile:) and I also let my nursing advisor know, so i can get the clinical days made up that I would miss (Which would only be two).  I just want to make sure I am thinking about this logically.  If anyone has any advice I am all ears! In a perfect world I want to do both! Thank you for the help!
    What are your long term goals? Weddings are lovely, but they are literally just one day. The point of them is that you get to start your marriage. I would definitely do both, but work on being able to let go of small wedding details that do not actually matter in the grand scheme of things.

I would not postpone your married life or your professional goals because of the time it takes to plan a wedding. Centerpieces taking up an inordinate amount of time? Who needs them? Who but you will remember them? Truly? Just keep that sort of thing in perspective as you go through this. Delegate plenty to your fiance - it's his wedding too.
  • Options
    I would not put my professional goals on hold, especially since your wedding is still more than a year away. I don’t think you need to tell ripple now, but in that semester if you’ll miss class or need to be out, communicate that early. Get work done before the wedding (don’t expect or ask for extensions). And I wouldn’t plan on taking a honeymoon during the semester- save it for when you have a break. A few friends got married while I was in grad school. Usually they had it on a long weekend so they didn’t miss class/ work then took a trip once the semester was over.