Chit Chat
Options

Wedding guest clash with my sister

Both me and my sister are getting married next year, 3 months apart. We're each other's MOH and for the most part it's great. However, there is one issue with wedding guests. We have family friends who live abroad who we both want to invite, however it's unlikely they can make such a big trip twice in three months. The background to this is that I am the main connection to this family - one of the daughters is my childhood best friend and her parents were like second parents to me. It's through me that they became family friends. My sister is a bit closer to their younger daughter than I am, but they've never been suuuper close. I'd really like them to be at my wedding given they were a pivotal part of me growing up.

What's the best way to deal with this?! Do we both send invitations to them at the same time? Do I ask my sister if I can ask them first given I have a closer connection?

Re: Wedding guest clash with my sister

• Options
    I agree with PP.  I think this best way is to just both invite the family and let them make the decision to come to both, one, or neither.  There may be lots of reasons they could maybe attend your sisters over yours that have nothing to do with how close they are to you vs your sister but they still want to see you!  Or they may not be able to come at all!  Or maybe some will come to one and some will come to the other.  I would read to much into which one they pick, because i guarantee they will decide based on schedule and not "closeness" to the brides.  
  • Options
    I would rather have my best friend attend my sister's wedding so I can sit next to her and talk all night and not be distracted by my own wedding and guests. 
  • Options
    I would rather have my best friend attend my sister's wedding so I can sit next to her and talk all night and not be distracted by my own wedding and guests. 
    Good point!

Years ago we were invited and MIL and FIL were invited to attend the wedding of friends of BIL and SIL.  Ultimately we didn't attend (had small kiddo and travel would have been a PITA) and MIL and FIL did not either because BIL and SIL said that they knew it would be a long drive and they were both in the wedding so their time to spend with the ILS would be seriously limited. 
  • Options
    Both of you should invite whoever you like, but its up to the guest to decide if they can't make it and decide which wedding to go to if they are unable to go to both

• Options
    If the reason is that they have to work then I dont think you should send out more then one invitation out. But if they dont have to work then I would suggest that you offer a paid ticket to the second wedding and ask your sister to split the cost with you.