Wedding Woes
Options

Break up with him and let him find someone who will appreciate all of him.

Dear Prudence,

I’m in a casual relationship with a guy that I don’t want to become a real relationship. He’s nice and fun, but I’m just not interested enough in him to become serious. For the most part, this works out for the both of us, except I think he might be really insecure about his body. He lost a lot of weight in the year before the pandemic and showed me before and after pictures saying he really hated how he looked before. I noticed almost no difference. He then gained the weight back during the pandemic. I think he’s become a bit self-conscious about it. Frankly, I’m not really that physically attracted to him, and I wasn’t even when he lost the weight. His body type is just not something I would find attractive even though I tend to like bigger guys.

The problem is, he keeps asking me what I like about him. I think this is coming out of his insecurity. I’ve tried to mention certain small things that I like and joke about liking a really weird thing, but I just can’t bring myself to say I’m attracted to him. He’s nice and caring and great in bed. I’m attracted to him because of those things, but physically he’s just not my type.

Lately, I feel like he’s getting frustrated with me not saying what I like about him physically. But I’m a terrible liar, I couldn’t get away with just saying I liked something that I didn’t. I don’t find him repulsive in any way, he’s just physically not my type. I want to say something along the lines of, “I wouldn’t be sleeping with you if I wasn’t attracted to you, but you constantly asking me to tell you what I like about your body is making me uncomfortable.” I’m worried that he’ll take this as a sign that I’m not attracted to him at all, but there are so many things I like about him beyond his physique. I’m worried mentioning that would be a bad idea too. Do you have any advice?

— Kindness Over Physique

Re: Break up with him and let him find someone who will appreciate all of him.

• Options
    I would say exactly what you said here. You’re attracted to him (and you wouldn’t be sleeping with him if that wasn’t the case!) but this constant questioning is making it less likely you want to continue sleeping with him! 
  • Options
    Yeah like how many times is this dude asking you? I can see it coming up once or twice on casual convo but “what do you like best about me?” often comes off as insecure and quite frankly, annoying. I’d say that. “i’ll
    tell you want I’m not liking about you.  The constant fishing for compliments”.

• Options
    I think both of these people sound annoying.

The guy is a little insecure and needs some reassurance about his physical attractiveness.  So stop being such a jerk and occasionally give him those types of compliments.  You don't have to "lie".  People have dozens of physical attributes and some of those the LW must find attractive enough to at least compliment.

I suspect it's also a vicious cycle.  It sounds like the LW refuses to ever compliment this guy on how he looks.  What might have started as one, offhand innocent question, has now become a major area of concern for this guy.

It's also possible this guy is too needy, at least for the LW.  Because the constant fishing for compliments would get annoying.  But I think this is much more a problem the LW created.

It's one of those letters where I wish I could reach out to the other person and advise them instead, lol.  In this case, to DTMFA and find someone who likes them better and doesn't leave them feeling unwanted.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LW says that they're not attracted to him and that they 'can't lie' and say they are. I bet his intuition is kicking in and he's asking because he knows something is up. 

I don't think radical honesty is the answer here, but letting him go is since LW doesn't see a future and doesn't find him attractive.  I think LW is being rude AF stringing him along.  For what? Can you imagine if you had a partner that avoided the question of whether or not they were attracted to you and/or showed no signs of wanting you?  I'd be insecure AF too! 
  • Options
    You can't see yourself getting serious about this guy and you don't find him attractive. Just end the relationship already and let him get on with this life. 

I am always amused and astonished at these people who write to Prudie just to say, "I don't really like the person I'm dating very much, what should I do?"