Wedding Woes

Go back to low-to-no contact with her. And let your family tell her to buzz off.

Dear Prudence,

I’m in my second trimester with my first child. I was apprehensive about telling my narcissistic mother at first, but my dad told me she had a right to know. We were in low-contact for years and never had the best relationship, but now she’s kind of being gross about it? She keeps trying to refer to it as “our” child and if I don’t respond to her texts she makes her boyfriend bug me. My siblings and my dad have all told me they have no issues telling my mother to leave me alone, but I feel bad making them do it just because I’m scared of conflict. Should I just let my dad handle this and step back?

— Conflicted New Mother

Re: Go back to low-to-no contact with her. And let your family tell her to buzz off.

• Just stop engaging with her or her boyfriend. If she doesn’t get the hint tell her directly. I also think it’s fine to let your Dad take this one if it gets get to leave you alone. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    LW, let your dad handle this because he created this mess by telling you she had a 'right' to know you're pregnant.  
    Yup.  And for now ignore your mom's texts. 

I was NOT a great pregnant person and if someone was going to nag me I'd go back to ignoring them. 
  • As a pregnant person with mom issues, go back to low contact. If she has a "right to know" well now she does. That right (eye roll) doesn't go beyond knowing, it means nothing for a relationship.