Wedding Woes

Have your husband tell his mom this no longer works.

Dear Prudence,

I cook for my husband and me. His mother often joins us, as she works long hours and is frequently too tired to make a meal. But since my sister-in-law moved back here, she will often drop her two sons at a moment’s notice on her mother—like literally as she is leaving to come over for dinner or after she already left (forcing her to double-back or leave the kids alone on the porch).

My mother-in-law is always apologetic, but it leaves me scrambling to fix up extras or find something to feed the boys. I have told my family that I don’t mind having the boys over, but I need at least a week’s notice on which days they are coming over for. This hasn’t happened because my sister-in-law thinks her situation (getting a divorce) means she is exempted from any kind of civility. She has ignored the repeated requests and gone on her merry way.

My husband and I are on a fixed budget, and the closest grocery store is far away. My husband is disabled and can’t legally drive. I need to be able to plan my meal schedule. The last time, I had already used the last of the bread and cold cuts to make our next day lunches, and we were out of milk so the boys had to eat oatmeal and oranges for dinner. My sister-in-law got insulted and texted me that I was a “disgrace” for feeding her sons “slop” instead of going out and getting them fast food. It was the final straw.

I told my husband I was done. Until something was done with his sister, I was on strike. I would cook for myself and make us lunches, but everyone else could survive off Hot Pockets for all I care. He agrees his sister is a selfish jerk, but worries about the boys and his mother. I love my mother-in-law and feel sympathy for the boys, but I can’t keep going like this. Help please.

— Final Straw

Re: Have your husband tell his mom this no longer works.

• If you’re fine with cooking for MIL, could you make up a few casseroles for her freezer, tell her she can’t bring the boys over for dinner, and leave it at that? 
  • Or have MiL pick up those fast food meals SIL is ok with?

• I know a few people like this in my life and I literally don't get it.  I am not a cold-hearted person and am willing to help people out, but I am also willing to say no.

I set the expectation with my friend that I can help her out when my schedule is clear and pick up her son, but I've had to say no a couple times because I had conflicts.  I felt bad telling her I couldn't do it, but I'm also not going to run myself into the ground or not do something for my kid because I have to get hers.

I cannot imagine being LW's position with a disabled husband, limited income, and from how it is presented, they live in a food desert.  Even if MIL is 'too tired' to cook because she works, can't she provide grocery money?  And if she's going to take on SIL's kids, then she should ask SIL for food money for her kids? And if LW is going to be cooking everything, the grocery money should go to LW so they can have the resources to make the food.  And this is ALL if LW doesn't mind doing the food preparation and the hurdle is stretching money to feed everyone. 

But SIL's rudeness in this situation is completely unacceptable and LW should put their  foot down on having nephews at their home since SIL has been so insulting. 

IDK I feel for this LW, but I really want them to stick with this 'strike' because maybe something will change.  Also, LW should not be dealing with SIL at all.  That's for MIL and husband to handle.  Husband should be telling his sister that she won't speak to his spouse that way and they won't be seeing her until she apologizes.  And if MIL has the kids, they can't come for dinner until LW sees some money and preplanning AND after LW receives an apology. 

Seeing other people go through similar scenarios, I'm not holding my breath.  There are people who just can't say no and their natural empathy can be played upon. 
  • "You don't get to say boo about what I feed your kids when you're supposed to be the one feeding them" would be the first thing out of my mouth.

And then yeah, everyone in the family needs a wake-up call that they are dumping all of this on LW.
    And way bigger talk with the H about how you won't be insulted for your goodwill by the sister.   Dude needs to speak up.
  • Sounds like oatmeal and oranges should be dinner for the nephews from now on.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    What kind of a MIL also does this to her DIL?  This is craptacular behavior on her part to knowingly show up for food to a home that's nearly out of it and then doesn't say anything to her own child. 

This may be projection, but I seriously find it has something to do with growing up either poor or without familial assistance (or both), if that makes sense.  I'd hazard a guess that MIL's single now, was likely a single mom, and has worked hard, low-income jobs.  Who knows if LW's H was disabled his whole life or at what point he became disabled, but I bet MIL was his main source of support if he became disabled before LW was around.  So, this is why H has the mentality of having to help mom.  It doesn't sound like LW begrudges helping out MIL. 

The issue is now SIL is a single mom and MIL has decided she must help or rolls over for her grandkids because of all the reasons (she knows the struggle, she feels bad for her grandkids, so and so forth).  But the issue is that SIL is an entitled snatch and using her divorce as a reason why everyone should help her carte blanche. 

But that doesn't excuse anything that's been said to LW by SIL and I still want to see LW put their foot down with the fact that SIL needs to get her shit together and stop being a raging bitch.  LW's H can worry all he wants about his mom and nephews, but allowing his wife to be treated like shit may leave him without one. 

• Everyone sounds like a peach to deal with on this one!  Not condoning it, but in-process of a divorce with kids is a special kind of heck for all parties involved so going to give the benefit of the doubt that the gavel hasn't dropped yet or the "who has the kids when" hasn't been worked out either (i.e. Dad is suppose to have kids but has to work to pay child support, or disappeared off the planet) and GM is the support network strong role model. 

My thought is..  A bag of Chicken Nuggies that stays in the freezer for a meal on short notice is $8.  Tater tots another $4.  Soup/SpaghettiO's is $1.50/can, $5 basic frozen pizza, Box of Mac'n'Cheese $2, and lasts a good while on the shelf.  All of the above are "Auntie is THE BEST most awesome person on the planet meal cooker" for the kids until they're old enough to watch themselves..  I'd be willing to bet MIL probably would even contribute to these items being picked up at the grocery store to have on hand for the emergency drop-off meal attendance by the kids (and take all of 16-20 minutes to cook tops). 

The DIL gets the "Bless her heart" for planning the food in the house so tight that there isn't a butter noodle to be made, and the kids' Mom the "Bless her heart!" for expecting people to just shell out for fast food for the kids (anyone looked at the price of Happy Meals lately - holy buckets those things have gotten expensive!)..  DIL needs to stop having people over for dinner for a while across the board or come up with a better strategy.  It might be best for everyone even if MIL is tired to cook for herself with the grandbabies if they're over which I can imagine DIL "I cooked for MIL and she cancels on short notice because Single-parent SIL drops her kids off on short notice so I have leftovers and I hate leftovers even being present in our house!" will be the next Dear Prudie after putting her foot down nsjs..
  • Does anyone else see the irony in SIL complaining about two healthy foods (oatmeal and oranges) and saying she'd prefer fast food, which is full of chemicals, grease, and who knows what else? Sure, those kiddos could use some protein, but one breakfast for dinner meal isn't going to stunt their growth.
  • MesmrEwe said:

My thought is..  A bag of Chicken Nuggies that stays in the freezer for a meal on short notice is $8.  Tater tots another $4.  Soup/SpaghettiO's is $1.50/can, $5 basic frozen pizza, Box of Mac'n'Cheese $2, and lasts a good while on the shelf.  All of the above are "Auntie is THE BEST most awesome person on the planet meal cooker" for the kids until they're old enough to watch themselves..  I'd be willing to bet MIL probably would even contribute to these items being picked up at the grocery store to have on hand for the emergency drop-off meal attendance by the kids (and take all of 16-20 minutes to cook tops). 

The solution to pushy, entitled relatives is not to kowtow and do what they want. It is not LW's responsibility to feed these kids, and it's not her job to plan ahead for SIL's unreasonable demands. LW has given clear instructions about notice needed for visitors expecting to be fed. Husband needs to step in and enforce that with his mother and sister. 

Bending over backwards rarely works. As soon as LW goes out and buys frozen/pantry items to have on hand, SIL is going to be complaining that it's all processed junk and that her kids deserve the same home cooked meal grandma is being served.