Chit Chat
Options

Maid of honor passed away

Hey guys. I'm having a terrible week. Actually the worst week of my life. My maid of honor passed away. My wedding is in March.  Everyone says I should ask someone else, but there's no one else that could fill her shoes. The other 2 in my bridal party are going to be zooming in because they live so far away. I just don't want to have a bridal party at all now. Actually my fiance and I are talking about eloping because his best man passed away 2 years ago. Suggestions?? 

Re: Maid of honor passed away

• Options
    I'm very sorry for your loss. If you decide to go forward with the wedding you've planned, do not ask someone else to be your maid of honor. I'm not sure whether or not it would be okay to tell the other members of your wedding party that you're not having one now. Normally, "un-asking" someone is considered a bad move, but if you've decided to just not have a wedding party at all, it might be okay. But I'll defer to others on that. 

I can understand why you'd want to elope when you've lost two of the people who would have mattered the most to have at your wedding, and if it feels right for you, it's worth considering. That said, I don't think it's a good idea to overhaul your wedding plans at this moment when your emotions are at their most raw. Give yourselves a little more time on that decision.
  • Options
    Hey guys. I'm having a terrible week. Actually the worst week of my life. My maid of honor passed away. My wedding is in March.  Everyone says I should ask someone else, but there's no one else that could fill her shoes. The other 2 in my bridal party are going to be zooming in because they live so far away. I just don't want to have a bridal party at all now. Actually my fiance and I are talking about eloping because his best man passed away 2 years ago. Suggestions?? 
    I'm so incredibly sorry for your loss. That's awful. 

I wouldn't make any decisions just yet. Give it some time - at least a few weeks. But if you both agree on eloping, you should do it. I also wouldn't want to choose a new MOH. 
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree with PP that it's probably best to give yourself a little time before making any decisions. 

If you do decide to go ahead with the big wedding, I wouldn't replace her. She is and will always be your MOH, and it will never feel right to have someone else try to step into her shoes. 
  • Options
    I agree with PPs give yourself some time and don't replace her.
  • Options
    Condolences on your losses!  

IMO, leave things well enough alone for now especially while you're going through the grief of the sudden loss.  Your wedding isn't this week, it's in March, you have time to decide between now and then what you want to do.  Leave the BM who are zooming in from a distance in the position they're in, that'd be a friendship ending move to remove them.