Wedding Woes

Short-week Monday

The best kind of Monday.  Weekend was a mix of fall yard clean up, Thanksgiving prep, feeling nauseous/infuriated over the Rottenhouse verdict, mass, errands, grading papers, and then going into rest mode yesterday around noon when I got these intense body aches/chills that were most likely a reaction to my booster shot, which I got Friday night.   Felt well enough to come to work today so here I am.  Hope it's a decent Monday for everyone!

Re: Short-week Monday

• It's a two day week for me so I'm excited and cramming as much into today as I can. 

Weekend was decent.  Chiquita was at an all day birthday party on Saturday and yesterday I caught that she has 6 (SIX!!) overdue homework assignments.  Her screen time is now limited to only her school laptop and she has to do her work out in the open in the living room.  This is a rough time getting her into the groove of real work in real time and she has to get into it.  It's only going to get bigger as she ages and she's too smart to ignore it.  

Now I'm crossing my fingers that for the next two weeks we're quarantine free so we can have her birthday party and get the kids their second shots two weeks from today.  I get my booster at the end of that week.   I'm trying to balance the absolute need to get this booster with the demands of the kids around the holidays and if it knocks me on my rear I picked a Friday before a weekend of no plans that's still two weeks before Christmas.  
  • Good luck @banana468, fyi I had no reactions from my first 2 (pfzier) nor my booster (moderna) but you hear these nasty stories about those who did.

2.5 days for me! Woooo!

weekend was a mix.  On Friday, new dude and I were supposed to go out for dinner.  I parked far, saw that there was a wait so I texted him that I’d put our name in. I sat at the bar and waited for him.  For 40 minutes.  I left 3/4 of my margarita and left, feeling so let down because I really thought we had some major chemistry there and who stands one up on the 4th date?!?
    He texted me when I got home, saying he slept through his alarm and he feels like an ass and he’s so sorry.  I was emailing my friends about it.  One said “i take evening naps too… it can happen” and my other friend said ber now husband did the same thing to her early on when they started to date.  At first I was mad. But then I reached out, and we talked for a bit on the phone. He apologized profusely and said he’d do anything, anything I wanted to make up for it.  Fancy dinner.  Weekend away.  I have to call it. Ugh! He’s so freaking cute I couldn’t stay mad at him.  I was busy with a meetup Saturday, so we rescheduled for Sunday. We had a great night though, and I think that I’m over it. I know he works 50+ hours a week and is exhausted and I caught him at the end of a long work week. 

• Hey @CharmedPam I'd be cautiously optimistic on that one.  Good luck!

About 13 hours after my second Pfizer shot I started to feel like I was in slow down mode and the chills, body aches and fatigue set in.  By hour 22 I turned to DH and told him he was making dinner and I was napping.  I got about an hour and ate and went to bed on time and the following day I was like new.  

Having a kid with a birthday in the month plus other activities I'm trying to balance how to parent and also do what's best for myself and the community so hopefully this is just a rough Friday night/Saturday morning.  
  • 2 day week for me too, but I probably should have just taken the whole week off. It's pretty quiet so far. I should work on some of the crap that piles up, but I'm just not great at motivation when there are no deadlines looming. 

Weekend was pretty relaxed and productive, now I'm working on mentally packing to go see BIL this week. I knew it would be colder there than here, but holy crap. It's full on winter in Ohio already. I'm glad we decided not to bring the dog; I would freeze just taking her out to potty. 
  • @CharmedPam I would have been super mad too. But this also sounds like something DH would do.
    @banana468 good luck with homework. Just think, all your hard work now will pay off later. 

Today has been kind of a roller coaster. The nursery I had decided to send DS to has a wait list, whomp whomp. But the place I am getting the turkey from was able to get one big enough (they had a package for 5-6kg turkeys and we need ~8kg, they had to contact their supplier to see if they could get one.) DS didn't nap today, and I slept poorly last night, but I cooked dinner and it I wasn't half bad. I think today basically breaks even as far as days go.

• Yay for a 2 day week! I usually don’t take this Wednesday off and I’m so excited to finally do it. There’s a big seasonal task at my work that has meant historically this is an extremely busy week but because of Covid it’s just not happening at all this week. And since I’m the primary thanksgiving cook, that’s good news. I had a very necessary chill weekend and now I’m busy every weekend until January, but all good things at least!
  • I had pfizer first and moderna 2nd and had a wicked reaction after 2nd shot :\
    We don't have boosters yet but they're coming. The 5-11 group gets 1st jabs on Friday :)
    Word is, BK will probably be first round mid-January. We're hoping to do a late in the week appt for her in case.

@banana468 Yikes! 6!? I've been there with myself and I remember last year my coworker took a day off cuz her oldest was super behind in homework and she was off to help her. I dread that being my future with BK :\

We ended up going to SFIL's family's place for a bit. SFIL's parents haven't seen BK since before pandemic. Maybe thanksgiving 2019?
    Anyways, SFIL's mom still had stuff her grandkids played with when they were little so BK had some stuff to play with. One of the grandkids {who is 20} was there for a bit, and BK dragged her over to play lol I mean how do you say no to a 3yr old who asks you to play? :P 
    BK kept dragging SFIL around for a tour of the house and when he left the room to get photos of stuff/people, BK would be like "where grampa go?"
    So she was his shadow lol

On our way home, BK fell asleep so we brought her upstairs for a bit of quiet time. I think she snoozed a bit also. Idk for sure. I had a headache so I feel asleep for an hour.

Sunday was good. We did groceries. I went like $50 over budget .... I told M if we order dinner in the next 2 weeks I will scream.
    BK did really well grocery shopping. It was close to the end she got fidgety so M took her for a walk to the electronics department.
    HOUR AND A HALF!
    Wtf!? I am not use to doing in person groceries anymore.
    BK took a late nap - she asked after putting groceries away - so I also took a nap.

I've been sleeping terribly and idk if naps help or hinder ....
  • SIX.  And the assignments are things like "weekly reading log".  She just stared at DH and me like a deer in headlights.  

I think it's both the combination of getting easily distracted and also not being a self-starter.  It's not an excuse at all and she has to get into this or later middle school and HS are going to SUCK. 
  • banana468 said:
    SIX.  And the assignments are things like "weekly reading log".  She just stared at DH and me like a deer in headlights.  

I think it's both the combination of getting easily distracted and also not being a self-starter.  It's not an excuse at all and she has to get into this or later middle school and HS are going to SUCK. 
    How old is Chiquita?
    Myself and my coworker's daughter had issues at 11yrs old with homework
  • Good morning!!  

Weekend was all right.  I had my dad, FIL, and our friends for dinner on Friday.  DH was working.  I made homemade pizzas.  

Saturday, DefConn had his BFF's bday party.  DH and I went grocery shopping and then to a bar for a couple drinks and snacks.  It was like a mini day-date.  We met FIL for dinner because it was 6 years since MIL passed and he wanted to do something. 

Sunday, DH had to work.  We woke up and made breakfast.  DH puttered around the house for a few and then watched most of the Colts game (which was FANTASTIC...for us.  LOL).  He left to head to work halfway through the 4th quarter.  His former boss should be getting the paperwork and whatnot together next week to bring DH back on board.  It's taking a little longer because of the holiday coming up and end of year stuff.  Fingers crossed he's quitting by the end of next week or early the next one. Working on Sunday is for the birds.   Our friends came back over for dinner last night because I was making lasagna rolls and it makes a TON.  

I work today and tomorrow.  I am super excited for my extremely extended weekend.  
  • banana468 said:
    SIX.  And the assignments are things like "weekly reading log".  She just stared at DH and me like a deer in headlights.  

How old is Chiquita?
    She's going to be 11 next week.  It's 6th grade and I'll also throw a bone at her that non-self starters who have spent the last 19 months navigating school through a pandemic are dealt a raw hand.  She absolutely needs to get it together and that's on her - but we're still seeing peaks and valleys of academic continuity and her 2nd shot can't come fast enough. 
  • Weekend was fine; Friday I saw Escape to Margaritaville and Jimmy Buffet joined the cast on stage at the end. It was really good! 

Baby M had a tough time sleeping Saturday so we were exhausted yesterday. The Bills game was terrible. 

M is at my mom’s new apartment all day. I’m nervous and I miss him but think it will be good for him to be somewhere else for a bit. 
  • Weekend was good. Friday and Saturday I decorated the basement and upstairs for Christmas. Saturday we went out to dinner with friends - restaurant was good. They came over for dessert and drinks afterwards. Yesterday was church and present wrapping. DS1 and DIL are coming for Thanksgiving but can't come around Christmas because he won't have time to take off since he just started a new job. I want to send all their presents home with him to avoid shipping. I'm experiencing my first troubles with the mail service. I sent thank you gifts to two people who are hosting parties. As of a week later neither had received their gift. One is in Chicago the other in NC. I need to check and see if they showed up over the weekend. I weighed the envelopes myself and put more postage on than the USPS website said they needed. Now I'm worried about a couple of more things I need to send out.

Went to the ENY this morning. I still have a bit of fluid in my ear and some hearing loss - hopefully illness caused. He's hoping it will go back in normal range once the fluid clears out. I go back in 4 weeks.
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

How old is Chiquita?
    She's going to be 11 next week.  It's 6th grade and I'll also throw a bone at her that non-self starters who have spent the last 19 months navigating school through a pandemic are dealt a raw hand.  She absolutely needs to get it together and that's on her - but we're still seeing peaks and valleys of academic continuity and her 2nd shot can't come fast enough. 
    Yep. Sounds about same age myself and coworker's child had issues. :\ 
    Vibes this is last time there's an issue!
  • Weird question, I know there's a lot of youtube videos, tiktoks, etc about ASMR and not everyone has the same thing they consider their ASMR

So what is yours?

Mine; watching restock and organizing videos lol
  • @CharmedPam, that sounds legit to me!  I'm glad you gave him a second chance.  Though I'm sure it felt like a low point while you were sitting at the bar waiting for him.  He's just lucky someone else didn't come over and give him some competition.

One guy who stood me up in my single days was so outrageous about it, I still remember the conversation.  It was a first date with someone I met online, so we hadn't met IRL yet.  We spoke on the phone about one hour before to verify we were both going to be at the restaurant at 7PM.

I arrive at 7.  Waited 20 minutes.  He was a no-show, so I left.  When I get back home, I saw he sent me a chat message at 7:02...TWO minutes AFTER we were supposed to meet...that he decided he felt like going to the gym instead of going out to dinner and wanted to reschedule.  WTF?!?!  And, as if that wasn't bad enough, the fact that he sent me the chat instead of CALLING me.  At least then I wouldn't have wasted 20 more minutes of my time waiting.  This was back in the days when most people didn't have Internet access on their phone.

He saw I was online and popped over to chat.  He apologized for cancelling and asked to reschedule.  I told him I wasn't interested in meeting him anymore because it was incredibly rude he had cancelled with no notice.  That I had wasted 40 minutes of my time because of him.  He made the excuse "but he had sent me a message!".  I pointed  out to him that I was already AT the restaurant when he sent this message and he didn't even have the courtesy to call me, so I wasn't waiting.  He said he was sorry again and asked me to give him another chance.  I told him no because I couldn't trust him to show up and wouldn't waste more of my time.

And the cherry on top?  His response was something like, "Why are you being such a bitch?  Women like you complain about how hard it is to find a great guy, but then this is how you act when you meet one."  I replied back with, "Great guys don't call women bitches and rudely stand them up, LMAO."  Then I blocked him.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    Hey @CharmedPam I'd be cautiously optimistic on that one.  Good luck!
    Oh he knows.  He only gets 1 second chance. 

@mrsconn23, hoping that paperwork moves fast for you guys.  Working on weekends IS for the birds!

@MissKittyDanger, I googled and kinda sorta get what that is?  Watching things that make you calm and happy?

in that case, nail polish videos.  Watching people apply nailpolish.  I can watch for minutes.  Lol.

i know there’s a group of people who get that joy from pimple popping.  Ewwww. I like watching my own in the making - but no one elses! Lol

• Our Friday night camping trip looks to be postponed.  The leader is still sick and I can't say I'm disappointed.  It's supposed to be 25 degrees for a low and I'd be in a borrowed sleeping bag.  If we're going to get into this I'd like it to be when we have our own gear (we do have a tent).  
  • @CharmedPam Yes! Calming sounds/visuals.  Lol I love watching people do nails too, but in person. Especially when they free hand designs.
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2021
    Weird question, I know there's a lot of youtube videos, tiktoks, etc about ASMR and not everyone has the same thing they consider their ASMR

So what is yours?

Mine; watching restock and organizing videos lol
    Going with Pam's definition because I don't know what ASMR stands for/is either, lol.

I like the sub-Reddit "awwww" for that.  Not sure how many "w's" are in it, lol.  It's videos and pictures of cute stuff.  Usually animals.  It is an overload of cuteness and always makes me smile, which can help perk my spirits and make me feel calmer.

Although not videos, I do have one calming exercise that many people would find hateful...I type.  Not words I have to think of.  Because that's too much work, lol.  But I will open a book or web page that is word-heavy and type what I'm reading.  For me, there is just something about it being such a rote and methodical task that it can calm my mind, if it is racing/worrying too much.  It doesn't take much thought to do that, but it takes just enough that it refocuses me to something else.

Edited to add:  That's also some of why I like my Costco scanning gig.  Don't get me wrong, I don't like the tons of time it takes to do every week.  But the work itself is a bit calming in that same way.

Scan/enter price.  Scan/enter price.  Over and over again.  I'd like it even more if I didn't have to hunt for UPC codes all the time, lol.  For example, the meat/seafood section has the UPC code right on the top of the packaging.  It's one of my favorite sections for that reason.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Vent: we received an updated email from the principal at the elementary school that Chiquito's teacher has resigned and her last day is before Christmas.  

While I am not surprised and I did not think she was a great fit for educating small kids I am sad that this is just another upheaval in the life of the kiddo who hasn't managed a normal school year ever.  

My fingers are crossed that this is a blessing in disguise and 2022 is going to bring a great educator suited to the needs of kids his age.  
  • @banana468, I hope this is a blessing in disguise for Chiquito!

My vent for the day is continuation of the never-ending nightmare for my one rental property.  The one where I hadn't received rent since March.  Then I couldn't put it up for rent because the previous tenant's b/f had broken all the windows out.

I thought I had finally, FINALLY turned the corner on this hateful place when I quickly signed up a tenant earlier this month.  Who might be moving in as early as next week.  They're out of town so their move-in date is flexible.  But now there is a problem with the water.

The Sewerage and Water board had yanked the meter during the previous tenant's occupancy because she never opened an account.  I can thank them for that because, otherwise, she would have stayed months longer.  I just don't know why they let that go on for 8 months.  But that is how stupid they are.

I opened a water account there earlier this month.  I usually don't turn the water on at all in my name during a vacancy.  But then I need to when a previous tenant was such a fuck-up that the meter is taken, so that the new tenant doesn't have a big hassle to deal with.

A new meter was brought out a couple weeks ago.  Except it was leaking.  A lot.  A service ticket was placed, but they were taking their sweet time.  My husband was there today and, at first, was glad to see there were no puddles of water.  But, upon further investigation, there is no leak because the meter is gone.

I called the water company.  Even more pissed that no one bothered to tell me they took the meter or give me any information about what is going on.  Granted, no one is living in the house right now.  But they didn't know that.

Oh, I see.  Apparently they didn't inform me the meter was gone because there was no record it had been taken.  They only had a record they 'fixed" the leak.

Oh, okay.  I guess that's how their service people roll.  They "fixed the leak" by taking the fucking meter!!!!  I hate them.  So fiercely.  With ever fiber of my being.  Their levels of complete and utter incompetence and dysfunction is like a bottomless pit that never ends.  I'm talking about the company, in general.  Not just their service people.  Though they massively suck also.

And apparently, because their records show there is a meter there even though there isn't, now it's a whole process.  That the woman on the phone couldn't even explain to me.  Awesome.  She said the investigator would be out there today and I should call them tomorrow for an "update".

And, do you know what is going to happen?  We will get another meter.  And it will be badly leaking also.  Because they're fucking liars who didn't do a GD fucking thing to fix it in the first place.

I don't even know what to do about these tenants.  I don't want to alarm them if it turns out to be fine.  But I also don't want them to be "hey, we'll be arriving Monday!" and the water problem isn't fixed yet.  I'm going to see what the water company tells me tomorrow morning.

I am already so livid.  And I will be even more livid if I lose out on any rent and/or a good tenant because of this hateful, moronic company.  This POS, worthless utility company already cost me thousands of dollars a few months ago when THEIR sewer line broke, but I had to hire a plumber multiple times and then dig half my yard up for them to get access.  Then it happened a second time within days of their repair and I had to practically scream at them for an hour, in person...I didn't scream, but I was speaking forcefully and DEMANDING they find answers because something was obviously wrong and they were insanely acting like "yeah that can happen that a brand new sewer pipe fails within days".  Only because of my insistence did they finally lift a finger and "surprise".  Discovered the main sewer pipe going down the middle of the street was cracked and that was what caused the the one leading to my rental house (different one) to keep failing.   

I felt like I was Alice in Wonderland and the Mad Hatter was telling me it's super normal for new pipes to fail in days, while looking at me like I was the crazy one because I'm telling them, "NO, IT"S NOT.  What are you talking about?!?!?"

Wedding Countdown Ticker