Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Wearing Grandmother's Wedding Dress

Anybody else wearing a vintage heirloom dress? I altered my grandmother's dress from 1957, and I'm feeling a little bit of pressure because it is much simpler then a modern wedding dress. It was made by my great-grandmother by hand for my 16 year-old grandmother. I added the lace and removed the sleeves, but everything else is the original dress. I've been told by several family members that I should have a backup dress because vintage dresses can easily be damaged, and my grandmother repeatedly keeps telling me that I don't need to wear it and that I should pick something more formal. I'm feeling a little insecure about it, and I just want to be beautiful on the day. Modern dresses are a lot sexier, and I'm feeling the weight of other people's expectations.

Re: Wearing Grandmother's Wedding Dress

• Options
    I think that's a beautiful dress and you look great in it.  I also love the story behind it.

But this decision should be 100% yours.  Do you feel beautiful in it?  Is this the dress you want to get married in?  If yes, then don't worry about what other people are saying.

However, if you would prefer a more modern and/or more formal dress, that's fine also.  Have you gone dress shopping?  If not, do that.  Try on different styles.  That will give you a better idea of if your grandmother's or a different dress feel "right".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Totally agree with @short+sassy. Wear the dress you want to wear. BTW wedding dresses don't have to be sexy. You should be comfortable and feel beautiful. I think it is a lovely dress and agree that the story behind it is sweet.
  • Options
    IMO the ONLY person whose opinion on the dress matters is YOU!  

If YOU are worried, know there are these places called dry cleaners that specialize in preservation gowns (it's not unusual that a dress is used for a show then brought to the dry cleaner to be cleaned and boxed, with my First Communion dress, there was a spot on it that had been there since I was a kid and 20 years later the local cleaner was able to get whatever it was out of the dress to preserve it.  There's also always the option of wearing this one to your Rehearsal and RD.  

End of the day, if you want to go try on some dresses before making the final decision - DO IT!  If anything it'll confirm your decision to wear this one or you become a multiple dress bride as an option too!  Accessorize this dress (headpiece/veil/hair, necklace, bracelet, etc.) and decide.  There is no right/wrong answer!!