Wedding Woes
Options

Step 1: Ask your friend how they're doing. Like, how they're truly feeling.

Dear Prudence,

I recently visited a friend, Aaron, whose house I hadn’t seen since before the pandemic. He also is the boyfriend of my best friend, and they moved in together a couple weeks ago. Over the past couple months, I heard rumors of the state of Aaron’s house from mutual friends. But this was the first time seeing it for myself. There were boxes stacked taller than I am everywhere, with a rickety path carved through to the kitchen. Ankle-deep piles of random items strewed across the room, ranging from books, to camping supplies, to unopened Macy’s bags. Aaron mentioned without prompting that he had cleaned before I came.

Aaron and my best friend are kind people who helped me at my points in my life when I really needed it. Is there any way I can return the favor? I really don’t know if I should say anything or if there’s any way to help with hoarding. They are both lovely people who I hate to see living like that.

— Horrified at the Hoard

Re: Step 1: Ask your friend how they're doing. Like, how they're truly feeling.

• Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2021
    IDK anyone who's dealt with someone who hoards where there's not a ton of shame and embarrassment involved.  The intent to help is admirable, but going about it far more trickier.  Your friend is likely not oblivious. 

If they accept your offer of help, you will have to meet them where they're at. Andplusalso, your ability to help them may only go so far before it's beyond your resources.  You're not failing them if you can't take them all the way. 
  • Options
    I've watched Hoarders enough to know to tread lightly here :\ often mental health is a huge factor.
  • Options
    I would need a date with my friend asap. Did friend know it was like this before they moved in? They had to, right? Maybe friend and BF have a plan, maybe friend needs help ... I have so many questions.