Wedding Woes

Christmas Eve-eve OR Festivus for the rest of us

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited December 2021 in Wedding Woes
Or hey, just a plain ol' happy Thursday!!  

But if you celebrate, Festivus...air out those grievances!! LOL

Worky work and then we need to scoot to the store for our last minute food and a couple gift cards.  

Tomorrow we're hosting DH's family for Christmas Eve.  Saturday, we go to my sister's for Christmas Day.  

Christmas night, the Colts have a big game.  Sunday will be decompressing and DefConn likely going through all his new stuff.  I have Monday off. 

What's up for your weekend?

Speaking of grievances, Prudie coming up.  

Re: Christmas Eve-eve OR Festivus for the rest of us

• Well, I've had a crazy few days. On Tuesday, we had a 4th employee test positive. We were told that afternoon that we'd all be working from home for the rest of the year with a rotating schedule of 1 person per department in the office. I set up a schedule for my team and then headed home. 

As soon as I got home, I got a text from my mom saying that brother and pregnant SIL both tested positive (they are vaccinated). Also on that day, was my brother's holiday party (he works for the highway dept). My dad retired from that same highway department years ago, and my dad was at the party Tuesday with my brother as well. So he was exposed too (my parents are thankfully vaccinated as well). 

So now Xmas is canceled. We were all supposed to go to my aunt's house Xmas eve. My mom and dad have to wait 5 days to be tested, which would be the 26th. 
  • Happy Festivus! I'd love to air some grievances with a few people in my life, but none of them get festivus, so it would probably not go over well. 

Working today, ish. I've got a doc appt here in a minute, and then I'm taking an early lunch to go for a quick hike with my sister and a friend. At least I'll be working this afternoon. 

Tomorrow my nibblings are coming over to bake and decorate cookies. Saturday we'll go to my parents' for the big christmas dinner and gifts. Then Sunday we're doing this scenic train thing up in the mountains. I'm more looking forward to next week, though. We're off all week, so will do a couple of house projects, a couple of bigger hikes, and a bunch of chill. It's supposed to warm up and be really nice, too. Perfect staycation.  
  • Oh gosh @climbingsingle!  I hope your family is all OK, especially your pregnant SIL. 

I know a lot of people are canceling Christmas last minute due to positive Covid.  It almost feels worse than last year, but I think it's because a lot of people pre-emptively canceled holidays in like...September. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Oh gosh @climbingsingle!  I hope your family is all OK, especially your pregnant SIL. 

I know a lot of people are canceling Christmas last minute due to positive Covid.  It almost feels worse than last year, but I think it's because a lot of people pre-emptively canceled holidays in like...September. 
    Thanks! So far she's said she feels pretty crappy and is very congested. My brother says he's feeling mostly fine which is good. But yeah, they're both trapped at home as my parents.

It really does feel much worse than last year. NY/NJ is getting hit really hard. I  know of so many people in just a week that all got it. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Oh gosh @climbingsingle!  I hope your family is all OK, especially your pregnant SIL. 

Thanks! So far she's said she feels pretty crappy and is very congested. My brother says he's feeling mostly fine which is good. But yeah, they're both trapped at home as my parents.

It really does feel much worse than last year. NY/NJ is getting hit really hard. I  know of so many people in just a week that all got it. 
    This is how I felt too, and 5 five was the worst but it started improving after that. Fingers crossed this is the worst of it for them!!

we’re getting hit harder in upstate now that we did last year I think. Our vaccination rates are stagnant at 65% and it’s sucks. A bunch of H’s (all vaccinated friends) went out Saturday (which we were supposed to go but obviously not) and now two people have already tested positive. There’ll be more in sure. It’s so tough. 
  • BK has a negative test but we have to cancel Christmas all around because she's still sick.
    SFIL may have picked up her cold also and he's testing xmas eve.
    My mum is dropping dinner off for us on xmas day and gifts. I told her to try and do it over BK's nap so she doesn't get upset she can't see grandma :( 

My 2021 grievance? Covid.
    For obvious reasons all around. I'm just so exhausted with all of this.

Also failure. I'm tired of failing things.
  • banana468 said:
    Chiquita woke up w/a 99 degree temp.   It's better but I'm leaning towards canceling.  This sucks.
    We just canceled everyone for xmas. I feel you :( 
  • Boo @banana468.  This sucks.  What a week+ for y'all.  ((hugs)) and bourbon. 

Ohh to distract you,at our Total Wine we found this bourbon called  Amador.  It's finished in chardonnay casks.  Everyone we've shared it with has bought their own bottle.  If you can find it around you, I definitely recommend getting a bottle. 
  • Oh man all this cancelation news for you is such a bummer! I agree this year seems to be worse than last. And this year, we had hopes with the vaccine at least.  

Today, we’ll get out early.  I have a return to make and then home to nap and work out.  Up early to head to my P’s house. Not sure if I’m doing Fri-Sun and relax at home on Monday or Fri-Mon. But I’m looking forwars to a 4 day weekend nonetheless. 

• Big hugs to everyone on the board dealing with family + covid stuffs.  I'm so sorry.  Big healthy vibes.  One of my fears has been losing someone on this board.  We've been through it before and I'm uninterested in doing it again.

6 more hours until 10 glorious days of freedom.  I have a list of movies/shows/games I'm doing.  My friends are on their way and I honestly cannot wait to hug them so fiercely.  These are the types of friends that to be honest, I'm probably going to end up sitting in between them on the couch and this touch starved person can get some much needed snuggling.  I have lied to my aunts to get out of the trip to Tulsa.  Part of me feels guilty for it, but honestly, the bigger part of me just doesn't care.  I got the results I wanted through a much easier method than having to defend myself and I'll take it.

I'm going to my parents tomorrow for an early Christmas dinner and we're exchanging gifts.  I know my parents got me this air fryer/grill combo I've been wanting and I'm excited to play with it over my break.

• VarunaTT said:
    I'm going to my parents tomorrow for an early Christmas dinner and we're exchanging gifts.  I know my parents got me this air fryer/grill combo I've been wanting and I'm excited to play with it over my break.
    I adore my air-fryer! They are a game-changer, especially with stuff you want crispy and doesn't quite get there in the oven.  
  • mrsconn23 said:

VarunaTT said:
    I adore my air-fryer! They are a game-changer, especially with stuff you want crispy and doesn't quite get there in the oven.  
    I have done a little bit of research already on vegan air fryer recipes and I'm really excited about it.  I feel like it'll just add another layer of cooking that will be tasty.
  • banana468 said:
    Chiquita woke up w/a 99 degree temp.   It's better but I'm leaning towards canceling.  This sucks.
    We will give guests the full story and option.   The good news is you wouldn't know the kid was sick by his actions.  He's a giggling fool.

And THAT is the reminder of what this holiday is about.  
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    We will give guests the full story and option.   The good news is you wouldn't know the kid was sick by his actions.  He's a giggling fool.

And THAT is the reminder of what this holiday is about.  
    Yeh, BK is starting to feel better but M is showing cold signs so we're just playing it safe.
    My mum has lovingly offered to bring us dinner so we have an xmas dinner still {we were suppose to go see her}
    I think MIL is feeling okay {SFIL has cold symptoms} so she may do porch drops for gifts also.
    Burning rage in me is mad I failed my drivers because I could have done porch drop offs.
  • Super early but I'm taking a general poll around people

BK will be 4 in May {wtf, I know}

We have accidentally left her water table outside, so it stays there all winter.
    If it survives, great.
    If not would you

A - get a new water table
    or
    B - get a tiny pool and maybe a little play house?

Our yard isn't big but we could do these.
  • At 4, DefConn had mostly moved on from the water table.  But do you not have somewhere to store it? 

A playhouse would get more use than a pool, IMO. 

We have accidentally left her water table outside, so it stays there all winter.
    If it survives, great.
    If not would you

or

Why can you not... bring it in?
    Now it's frozen to the ground. We usually put it in the garage but completely forgot to this year and when M went to see if he could, it was frozen to the ground.
    {he generally could not see any cracks but it's plastic so we may not know until it's used}

If it survives, great.
    If not would you

or

Why can you not... bring it in?
    Now it's frozen to the ground. We usually put it in the garage but completely forgot to this year and when M went to see if he could, it was frozen to the ground.
    {he generally could not see any cracks but it's plastic so we may not know until it's used}
    Have you tried pouring hot water on the feet where it’s frozen? You should be able to thaw the ground enough to move it. 
  • @banana468 I'm sorry that Chiquito isn't 100% better but 99 really isn't considered a fever - unless it rises during the day. If he is acting like a normal kid I bet he's just fine. Good idea to let your guests know though and let them decide. Are the rest of you doing ok? 

I've pretty much finished everything for people to arrive tomorrow. Yesterday I baked a cheesecake and pound cake. I finished cleaning this morning - not a lot just dusting and cleaning our bathroom. I did an HIIT workout this morning that was Christmas themed. It was lots of fun but I may not be able to move tomorrow. It was a 12 days of Christmas workout - you repeat everything like in the song.

DD and family should be here early afternoon tomorrow. Can't wait.
  • @MissKittyDanger I'd go for the little pool or we love a good splash pad
    @climbingsingle sending healthy vibes to all
    @kvruns if you see this hope you and your son have a good holiday

Sorry to everyone having holiday plans trampled by Covid/illness.  This is just awful and never ending.

My fingers and toes are crossed that Christmas dinner happens.  Last year bc our state had an indoor mask mandate around anyone who wasn't part of your household, we just did a quick, outdoors, caroling&cocoa celebration.  Saturday will just be my parents, siblings, BILs, nieces and nephews, and my kids.  No aunts, uncles or cousins. 
    Keeping Christmas Eve small too- the kids and I (and STBXH, if he's around) will have a scaled back Fishes feast.  Their choir is singing at the 5:30 mass so dinner will be around 4.  That way we can come back from mass and get into our matching jammies, read The Night Before Christmas and they'll hopefully fall asleep on the earlier side so I can set up.  

Family and I have all had PCR tests and we're all boosted at this point, truly hoping for the best.  

• Well, one SIL and MIL both tested positive so our Christmas plans are cancelled with them.  Might see if other SIL/BIL want to come over and hang out, but if not, maybe we'll just go to my parents a day or two sooner.  I just saw MIL for like 2 minutes on Tuesday afternoon so i'm going to go get tested today.  I'm so sorry so many others are dealing with this too.  

Varuna, enjoy your time off!
  • Casadena said:
    Well, one SIL and MIL both tested positive so our Christmas plans are cancelled with them.  Might see if other SIL/BIL want to come over and hang out, but if not, maybe we'll just go to my parents a day or two sooner.  I just saw MIL for like 2 minutes on Tuesday afternoon so i'm going to go get tested today.  I'm so sorry so many others are dealing with this too.  

Varuna, enjoy your time off!
    Oh no, fingers crossed for a negative @c@Casadena, you guys have been through enough these last couple months!
  • @charlotte989875 hmmm I'll give that a shot when it's not a wicked cold streak!
  • His fever is at 100 now.   It's DAY 6!  TIME TO FLY FLU!!!
  • Ughh @banana468!!!  Poor Chiquito and poor you!!!
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Ughh @banana468!!!  Poor Chiquito and poor you!!!
    I'm constantly monitoring.  It has to be at the end.

IT HAS TO BE.
  • My heart goes out to all of you that had to cancel plans.  It was so hard to have to do that last year, and I was also hopeful that we wouldn't see that this year, after the vaccines.  I wish I was visiting my sister for Christmas, but we're just doing hubby's family to keep it small.  It is really frustrating.  I hope that next year we can celebrate events with family properly.  Thinking of you all!

• I am sorry to hear that so many people's holiday plans are being affected. I hope that everyone finds happiness and enjoyment how ever they end up spending the holiday.

We are definitely being low key this year, which is normal. I am not even planning what to eat for dinner, which is not. I never got around to getting molasses so I guess we won't have gingersnaps for Santa. We just pick up either cookie dough or cookies and carrots from the store on the way home from our friends tonight. If they have cookie dough, I will bake them while DS has his bath. 

I am over eager to buy my BFF's tickets to come out here. The prices are average, but not a great. Her dates aren't flexible and the flights available are actually really good (decent airlines, acceptable layovers). DH thinks I should wait until after the new year but I don't think the price will go down.