Wedding Woes

Your partner and their family are being unreasonable.

Dear Prudence,

My partner was recently asked to be best man at his brother’s wedding. He said yes, no questions asked. All we were told was that it was a destination wedding. His brother informed him that he was responsible for planning the destination bachelor party. After receiving the invitation and reviewing the itinerary, I am shocked. The venue is a 5-star, all-inclusive resort. The room is almost $2,000 for three nights. It’s kid-friendly (we have three kids), but we would not have access to the majority of the resort because it’s separated by family-friendly and adult-only. This limits restaurants and bars we can utilize even if we leave the kids with another family member for a few hours one afternoon. The expenses for a family of five are adding up quickly, and we are estimating we’ll spend between $6,000-8,000 total on this four day/three night wedding weekend.

On top of this, the mother of the bride is the designated travel agent, and it feels like they’re trying to make a profit off the guests (the cost to book through the resort is actually cheaper than the travel agent). Add in the expenses of the destination bachelor party, and time off from work,  all while we are planning our own wedding later that same year with its own set of expenses and needing time off work.

I respect my fiancé’s desire to be the best man, but I’ve suggested that me and the kids stay home, and he was offended. I don’t want to plan to leave the kids at home because I don’t know what the state of the pandemic will be at the time. I tread delicately because I don’t want to feel like I’m controlling, but is it reasonable to ask my fiancé to skip the bachelor party and find other ways to reduce the cost? Is this expecting too much of the wedding party, or am I being selfish? I fully support them having the wedding of their dreams, but I feel like this should’ve come with a list of requirements and expectations before he committed to the role.

— Going Broke

Re: Your partner and their family are being unreasonable.

• Get out a spreadsheet.   Look at the real numbers and figure out what is possible.

If attending the wedding means sacrificing hire own that's ultimatum time imo.
  • You two need to look carefully at the costs and decide if this is how you two, together, want to spend this money. It’s not wrong for him to want to be in the wedding and it’s not wrong for you to be concerned about the cost. 

Look at the numbers, look at the time required, and talk about what feels okay for both of you. Are there ways to compromise without either one of you feeling like you’re the only one making a sacrifice? Maybe he goes alone so, but fully participates? Or you two go and leave the kids home? Or he goes to the bachelor party alone and you all make a vacation out of the wedding? No one should get to dictate what happens. 
  • I swear, if someone says "destination wedding" I feel I'm automatically going to say no.
    Weddings aren't cheap when you're in them, add the cost of travel?
  • I swear, sometimes I wonder about people's relationships sometimes. How can you be committed with a partner for long enough to have three kids, but not be able to have an honest conversation about spending that kind of money and compromise? I get that reasonable minds disagree, but they can't even have a conversation about it!
    My only thought is that something like this has never come up so it's never been a necessary conversation.
  • I swear, sometimes I wonder about people's relationships sometimes. How can you be committed with a partner for long enough to have three kids, but not be able to have an honest conversation about spending that kind of money and compromise? I get that reasonable minds disagree, but they can't even have a conversation about it!
    My only thought is that something like this has never come up so it's never been a necessary conversation.
    This is kind of true.  DH and I have always planned and agreed upon travel for us alone or for the family and did the budgeting and whatnot.  Throw a destination wedding in there and family pressure from one side and all that, I can see how this has turned into a bit of a mess. 

I think DH and I are reasonable enough where we'd have a boundary with our siblings and their demands for us to spend this kind of money.  Also, none of our siblings are this ridic where they'd want us to spend $8k + all the other wedding BS (parties, outfits, etc.) and not hear out any objections or understand what we can and cannot afford. 
    Maybe not this specific situation, but surely the topic of money and how to prioritize it have come up. Or not even money specifically, surely they've had to have a conversation about some sort of disagreement before. 
  • I agree that, when you are talking about this kind of money, it needs to be a mutual decision.

And the OP has already been reasonable.  The FI was told that he should go and they will stay home with their kids, to help reduce the costs.  But he was offended by that.

I'm also wondering if they could stay at a different, much cheaper hotel and then just go to the wedding at the resort.  Surely there are options for that instead.  Unless this is one of those especially bullshit situations where the "wedding" is included or substantially discounted if all the guests are also booked at the resort.  

If either the FI or the whole family opt for the resort, they should definitely book it from whatever site gives them the best price.  No reason whatsoever to use a travel agent, even if she is the mother of the bride.

Me personally.  I have never in my life paid almost $700/night for a hotel (not even close) and I can't envision a reason why I ever would.  Even if it was an immediate family member getting married.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm glad DH and I are pretty united in fronts like this.

I think the LW has to turn the conversation to the FI and figure out what he thinks there will be left if they spend like this.  Also, DH and I do NOT usually drop money like that for hotel rooms either!  
  • I agree that, when you are talking about this kind of money, it needs to be a mutual decision.

And the OP has already been reasonable.  The FI was told that he should go and they will stay home with their kids, to help reduce the costs.  But he was offended by that.

I'm also wondering if they could stay at a different, much cheaper hotel and then just go to the wedding at the resort.  Surely there are options for that instead.  Unless this is one of those especially bullshit situations where the "wedding" is included or substantially discounted if all the guests are also booked at the resort.  

If either the FI or the whole family opt for the resort, they should definitely book it from whatever site gives them the best price.  No reason whatsoever to use a travel agent, even if she is the mother of the bride.

Me personally.  I have never in my life paid almost $700/night for a hotel (not even close) and I can't envision a reason why I ever would.  Even if it was an immediate family member getting married.
    Maybe if that rate included stocks in that hotel…