Wedding Woes

ED, dating, and feeling exposed.

Dear Prudence,

After two years being single and working hard on myself, I’ve finally met someone I really connect with. He is intelligent, ambitious, and highly creative—we both work in the same competitive field, albeit on opposite spectrums. I find it near impossible to find someone with the same drive as me, and he’s so fun and easy to get along with (plus we have insane animal sex, which is a bonus). We have only been seeing each other for five weeks—still in that romantic, obsessive stage where we are seeing each other every day. It’s been going great and I am over the moon—BUT about a week ago, this man asked me (casually, respectfully) if I had an eating disorder. This threw me, I panicked, laughed, said no. He said something vague about that being a relief, as he was not sure how to deal with it if I did.

I have been struggling with anorexia for 10 years now, and have been in and out of treatment. This year has been the toughest one yet—I spent most of it very ill in hospital. My lowest point came when the public treatment program I have been cycling through declined to help me any further, indicating I was likely going to need long-term care and that they could no longer cater to me. Since then, I’ve been taking alternative routes and doing the best I can.

I’m in my mid 20s and have denied myself even casual dating until I felt I was in a stable mental position. So it’s been nearly two years, and after putting SO much work into my recovery this year, I felt astounded to meet this man and for things to go well so fast! However, I feel absolutely mortified that he picked up on my condition almost immediately—I don’t think it’s because of my body, but probably because of small comments I’ve made (which I am continuously trying to work on!). In any case, I am EXTREMELY private about my eating disorder, and despite my first hospital stay being over ten years ago, I have still been very deeply in denial until this year. It has been hard enough to admit I have a problem to myself—so why should I have to disclose it to a man I’ve just met?

I feel so conflicted—I don’t want to lie, and this may be something that affects my whole life going forward. But on the other hand, this is so complicated and deeply personal, and I don’t want to talk to him about it yet. Am I bad for lying? Is this something I need to disclose early on? I feel like the stigma around eating disorders is so bad that if I have to tell people about it after the first few weeks of dating, I will never find a partner.

— Worried

Re: ED, dating, and feeling exposed.

• If you're in therapy then bring this up with your therapist.  IMO you need to come clean, be vulnerable and advise that this is an ongoing battle.  Apologize for lying and state why you did.

This is a major battle for you and one to deal with honestly.  
  • Yes, talk to your therapist if you have one. Because if you really like this guy and want the chance at a future with him, you do need to be honest about your eating disorder. It's not going to go away overnight, as you are well aware, and it's too serious to hide, even if you haven't been with this guy for all that long. He has a right to know sooner rather than later that this is going to be something that you will both have to deal with if your relationship continues. 

It's understandable to be private about an eating disorder or anything having to do with your health. But telling a partner about your condition doesn't mean that you have to tell everyone else you know. You can keep it private without keeping it a secret from someone that close.
  • I dunno.  5 weeks is still early to be this deep imo. I don’t think I’d convey this myself.  And I did have an eating disorder… overeating. 

• Btw, I thought the ED in this would be erectile dysfunction. I can’t be the only one….

• Btw, I thought the ED in this would be erectile dysfunction. I can’t be the only one….
    You weren't. LOL
  • LOL! Sorry for the shorthand.  I see ED to cover the spectrum of eating disorders in comments all the time.  
  • You don’t have to disclose your medical history to anyone, even if they ask. No one is entitled to know your personal medical information and straight up asking that was, IMO invasive. You don’t need to apologize for lying or “come clean”. 

Talk with your therapist but you get to decide when and how to disclose this information and if the man doesn’t understand how personal this is then he isn’t the right man for you. Saying it was a “relief” and that he wouldn’t know how to deal with it should be a sign he’s not in a place to be a supportive partner and if that’s the case it’s especially important that you keep yourself safe first, even if it means keeping this information to yourself. 
  • I don’t think you have to disclose right now, but I do think you need to discuss this with your therapist and I think if you want this relationship to continue long term you need to figure out a way to disclose. 
  • LW admits to telling on themselves with some of their comments and whatnot, so they are clearly in an in-between headspace with how they feel about it all.  I understand LW's desire to be seen as normal and separate from their anorexia.  This is a very common feeling.  However since he's picked up on it and asked, maybe LW can work with their therapist to come up with some things to say where LW isn't lying, but are still honoring their boundaries.  I have a lot of empathy for LW because that's a lot to go through and to meet someone they've clearly made a connection with, but it's only been 5 weeks and they don't want to 'scare' him off. It's probably happened before.  

LW, be kind to yourself.  Shit's hard. 
    I was thinking, reading just the title, we just HAD a blue pill letter.  Prudie needs to start changing it up better, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker