Wedding Woes
Options

Anne is kind, your sister is terrible. You know the 'right' thing to do here.

Dear Prudence,

I’m having a serious problem with my older sister, “Ella,” who is my only family. Our parents died when we were young, and we ended up moving through a lot of homes over a very unstable childhood. Ella often looked after me like a mother, even though there are just two years between us. For a long time, I would have said she was my best friend, but that changed radically when she met her now husband, when she was 19. He is a regressive bigot who opposes all my core values, and I am sorry to say that Ella has pretty much taken on his views as her own over the last several years. We are now both in our late twenties and only see each other at holidays and when I invite just Ella on occasional shopping trips, as I can’t stand being around her husband, and he refers to me as a “bad influence” on his wife.

The issue that has arisen between us recently is that I am the maid of honor for my best friend, “Anne,” at her wedding this year. Anne is marrying another woman, who is also one of my close friends. I obviously have never spoken much about Anne with my sister and her husband, as I try to stick to subjects that they won’t be able to use as starting points for their bigoted rants. (I once mentioned a friend with a foreign-sounding name and got treated to an hour-long lecture on “scum” who are “overrunning the country,” for instance.) Another member of the wedding party recently posted some photos on social media of us at a dress fitting, where she mentioned the two future brides, and Ella saw. She also commented. Her comments were horrendous, all directed at me and saying how ashamed our parents would be if they knew I had grown up to be friends with “degenerates and perverts.” Ella told me, there in the comments, that our relationship as sisters would “have to end” if I didn’t pull out of this wedding. She was blocked by the friend who had posted the pics, but everyone including Anne saw the comments first.

Anne called to ask if I was OK. She caught me in tears, and was incredibly kind. She told me that if I wanted to pull out of the wedding party to preserve my relationship with my sister, she would be very sad but would understand and did not expect me to choose between her and my sister. I told her that I didn’t want to do that at all—I’m not ashamed of celebrating my best friend’s relationship and was honored she wanted me involved. Anne seemed really happy about this but reiterated that I just needed to tell her before a deposit deadline if I changed my mind. She understands difficult family relationships very well, as she is now estranged from her own and understands some of my pain with my sister and feeling I’ve lost her to bigotry.

My problem is that I’m not sure what to do. Part of me really wants to pull out the wedding to appease my sister and preserve the fragile relationship we have—she has texted me since to say she will miss me terribly if she “has to” cut me off over this, and that she is waiting for me to reach out to “fix things” with her. In spite of what I said to Anne, I am torn—there is a small desire in me to just agree to pull out and keep the relationship with Ella, even if I’d feel ashamed about it, especially now I know that Anne would be kind about it and I wouldn’t lose her friendship. Can you advise me on what to do? I know what the objectively right thing to do is, but I’m struggling with the temptation not to do it to preserve my relationship with my sister.

— My Sister or My Values

Re: Anne is kind, your sister is terrible. You know the 'right' thing to do here.

• Options
    You sound like a kind, loving person, and you have a very good friend in Anne. Sadly, your sister has chosen another path - one where she hates anyone who is "different" and refuses to accept that you don't view the world in the same light that she does.

She has been cruel to your friends and humiliated you in the process. She's issued an ultimatum that forces you not to be true to yourself if you still want a relationship with her. Sister or not, is this really someone you still want in your life? You know the right thing here both for yourself and for the friends who actually treat you with respect. Even if you can still be friends with Anne after dropping out of her wedding, don't walk away from her just so you can keep walking on eggshells with your sister.
  • Options
    LW, I understand you feel some sort of sense of obligation to your sister because of how you grew up and she was there for you in so many ways.  However, she does not respect you or people in your life that are there for you now.  Furthermore, she's not interested at all in preserving her relationship with you.  She wants control and isolate you from not only people you love, but your belief system.  

So LW, why do you feel the need to respect or listen to her at all?  Clearly, you should probably explore why you are feeling so torn when the answer is obvious. You even say you know what's right here and it's not your sister. 
  • Options
    LW, you need to be quite clear with your sister that you will not be told what the terms of your relationship need to be in order to be her sister.    Stay in the wedding and support your friend. 

Ella thinks she is holding the cards as some kind of older sister.  STOP GIVING her the power she thinks she has.  Be clear, "I think our parents would be so sad to think that loving someone is contingent upon what you think others should do.  I'm going to pray for you and absolutely will not condone or be a party to your bigoted beliefs.  They are not welcome in my home and in conversations.  If that means that YOU are making a choice about the status of our relationship then that is your call. " 

• Options
    The LW knows what they need to do and I hope they do the right thing.

She can love her sister and the person she used to be, but still walk away.  Plus, just because the sister has said she will cut her off, doesn't mean it will stay that way forever.  And what will be the next issue the LW needs to make a choice about.

The LW also needs to keep in mind that it wasn't just the sister giving her an ultimatum privately.  She publicly spewed hate at the LW's BFF and her FI.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The LW knows what they need to do and I hope they do the right thing.

She can love her sister and the person she used to be, but still walk away.  Plus, just because the sister has said she will cut her off, doesn't mean it will stay that way forever.  And what will be the next issue the LW needs to make a choice about.

The LW also needs to keep in mind that it wasn't just the sister giving her an ultimatum privately.  She publicly spewed hate at the LW's BFF and her FI.
    This is also a good point.  The sister was taking a public stance with strangers.  It would make me more likely to take a strong stance and perhaps a simple silent response. 
  • Options

This.  I mean, in private the behavior is awful, but I cannot see how LW can maintain a relationship with Anne if she drops out of the wedding to 'choose'/appease her sister.  Because it's not going to stop at the wedding. 

I'd love to know what Anne's FI thinks of LW and the fact that Anne's relationship with LW has brought straight up hate to their doorstep.  And that LW is waffling even after her sister publicly attacked them and spewed awful things.  I'd be asking my partner what the fuck and where they are going to draw the line. 
  • Options
    Your sister isn’t just married to a bigot, she is a bigot and is publicly abusive to you and people you care about. 

That you are evening waffling about this tells me while you know it’s wrong you’re not willing to do what’s right because it’s hard. 
  • Options
    Your sister isn’t just married to a bigot, she is a bigot and is publicly abusive to you and people you care about. 

That you are evening waffling about this tells me while you know it’s wrong you’re not willing to do what’s right because it’s hard. 
    I'm willing to give LW  a bit more benefit of the doubt if she's relatively young and likely brainwashed by her sister as the mother figure in her life for all those years.  In the same way I saw friends in terrible relationships who did not end them it can be monumentally challenging to face what is now isolation from family if the sister was one of the few family members in LW's life.  It does not mean that the LW should stay in the life but overly critical feelings of the LW are a bit harsh IMO. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:

I'm willing to give LW  a bit more benefit of the doubt if she's relatively young and likely brainwashed by her sister as the mother figure in her life for all those years.  In the same way I saw friends in terrible relationships who did not end them it can be monumentally challenging to face what is now isolation from family if the sister was one of the few family members in LW's life.  It does not mean that the LW should stay in the life but overly critical feelings of the LW are a bit harsh IMO. 
    LW can feel whatever they do, but the sister said horrible, dehumanizing things about Anne, publicly where all of Anne’s family and friends could see it, and LW wants to preserve a relationship with her, at the expense of a close friend who showed way more grace and compassion than they should have had to. 

That’s her choice, but LW doesn’t get to witness sisters behavior, chose to side with her, and not be seen as at the very least be willing to tolerate sisters behavior. 

I’m just saying LW doesn’t get a gold start for saying sisters behavior is wrong while giving in to her demands to drop out of Anne’s wedding. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:

LW can feel whatever they do, but the sister said horrible, dehumanizing things about Anne, publicly where all of Anne’s family and friends could see it, and LW wants to preserve a relationship with her, at the expense of a close friend who showed way more grace and compassion than they should have had to. 

That’s her choice, but LW doesn’t get to witness sisters behavior, chose to side with her, and not be seen as at the very least be willing to tolerate sisters behavior. 

I’m just saying LW doesn’t get a gold start for saying sisters behavior is wrong while giving in to her demands to drop out of Anne’s wedding. 
    I think if you re-read the LW's comments about what her sister said the LW is a victim of abuse or at least abusive language. 

I'd like to think that you wouldn't say to any person who is being verbally abused by a family member what "You don't get a gold star for saying this is wrong."    The LW is likely having a hard time because knowing that you need to get out of a bad situation is one thing and actually doing it is incredibly difficult.  
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

I think if you re-read the LW's comments about what her sister said the LW is a victim of abuse or at least abusive language. 

I'd like to think that you wouldn't say to any person who is being verbally abused by a family member what "You don't get a gold star for saying this is wrong."    The LW is likely having a hard time because knowing that you need to get out of a bad situation is one thing and actually doing it is incredibly difficult.  
    The sister is obviously a bully, and a bigot, saying & doing a lot of terrible things. 

But LW says she doesn’t see her or interact with her that much, and they’re in their late 20s now, so while sister seems objectively awful- it’s not that LW is a teenager living in an abusive home with her overbearing sister and can’t get out. Im not saying it’s easy for the LW- it sucks her sister is so awful to her and her friends. 

Maybe I’m a little crankier than usual today, but the idea that LW is giving her sister a pass for being abusive just doesn’t sit with me. At some point LW has to say she’s abhorred by her sisters behavior and she’s not giving in to her, or acknowledge that she’s willing to tolerate what the sister does. You can’t claim these are your values but then not actually live by them. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

The sister is obviously a bully, and a bigot, saying & doing a lot of terrible things. 

But LW says she doesn’t see her or interact with her that much, and they’re in their late 20s now, so while sister seems objectively awful- it’s not that LW is a teenager living in an abusive home with her overbearing sister and can’t get out. Im not saying it’s easy for the LW- it sucks her sister is so awful to her and her friends. 

Maybe I’m a little crankier than usual today, but the idea that LW is giving her sister a pass for being abusive just doesn’t sit with me. At some point LW has to say she’s abhorred by her sisters behavior and she’s not giving in to her, or acknowledge that she’s willing to tolerate what the sister does. You can’t claim these are your values but then not actually live by them. 
    I'm seeing it slightly differently.  The LW isn't giving the sister a pass.  She's already said that she hates her sister's behavior and distances herself from her but acknowledges that this sister was the caretaker.  

And while this isn't the same as leaving an abusive household the LW starts off the letter commenting that her abusive sister was also like a mother to her.  That makes this sound far more like the LW is having an issue figuring out how to navigate the boundaries and issues that we already see as parents.  You yourself commented how hard it has been just to talk to your mom about adhering to a nap schedule and she's likely the reason you have covid for the second time.  

Maybe the LW will make the wrong choice and stay with the sister but I'm seeing it as if she's seriously conflicted and feels like she owes her sister now because of the sister's efforts when they were younger and yet knows she is not aligned with the sister at all.  Family can be a powerful force especially if removing that person is putting you into a majorly isolated position. 
  • Options
    I have made more difficult decisions about salad dressing. DTMFA. 
  • Options
    So apparently (interestingly) this letter was cross posted to Care and Feeding.  I had no idea Slate did that.  Anyway, I found the responses from CaF and Prudie interesting. 

Prudie's response:

Do you think Ella has ever said to herself, “I’m struggling with whether I should be an outspoken bigot about things that aren’t my business or preserve my relationship with my sister”? Do you think she cares if she alienates you with her comments? I seriously doubt it—in fact, she’s already threatened to end the relationship. Don’t compromise your values and your friendship with someone who’s actually a decent person to stay on the good side of someone who’s not, and who will inevitably cut you off over something else stupid in the future. Be in the wedding. Tell Ella you don’t care what she thinks. It’s unlikely that she’ll actually cut you off, and the realization that her backward views don’t control you and you aren’t afraid of her might give your relationship the reset that it needs. And if it doesn’t, and she does? You might take a lesson from your queer friend’s experience that while family ties are important, maintaining them at the expense of your own peace and wellbeing is not worth it.

Care and Feeding's response: 

I am so sorry that your relationship with your sister, which helped you both to survive your very difficult childhoods—has so deteriorated. I’m sorry she chose the man she did, and I’m sorry she has embraced his hateful way of looking at the world. And I am so deeply sorry that she is attempting to psychologically blackmail you now. I understand why you would be tempted to give in for the sake of holding on to your tenuous connection with her. But I must tell you that this sort of blackmail is not likely to stop here. What happens the next time she gets wind of something you’re doing that she disapproves of? Once you’ve let her know that if she threatens to cut you off, you will do her bidding, why would she stop at demanding you boycott your friend’s wedding?

You cannot spend the rest of your life tiptoeing around your sister, hoping she won’t find out anything about your real life, which you are living according to your principles, not hers. Even if you could—even if you wanted to—it wouldn’t work, as you’ve already discovered. Somehow or other, word of who you really are would get back to her. Or is it your plan to try to live your life, from this point on, making sure you do nothing that would offend her? (If so, you will need not only to give up your position as Anne’s maid of honor but also your friendship with her.)

I very rarely suggest that people cut ties with family members. And in fact I am not suggesting that you do so. As vile as your sister’s worldview is, she may not be irredeemable, and continuing to have you in her life may serve as the only counterbalance in it to her dreadful husband. (And who knows? Over time, this may make a difference in the way she sees things.) But you are not the one who is cutting ties; she is. I would not give in to the temptation to succumb to this emotional extortion. Stand up to her. Perhaps she will follow through on her threat, and you will indeed lose her (if not forever, then for the foreseeable future). I know that this will cause you a great deal of grief. But so would turning your back on your own life.

As to what lies ahead between you and your sister if you stand your ground, I will allow myself a moment of optimism, or at least hope, on your behalf. Your shared—hard—history forged a bond between the two of you. Even if it is currently buried deep underground, where it seems impossible to access it, it still exists. It may come to the surface again later. And if it doesn’t—you will form other deep bonds, by your own choice. Family doesn’t mean only those with whom we share DNA.