Wedding Woes

Classic: Tell him you can't donate.

I’m in my mid-20s and my best friend from high school is running for political office for the first time. We’ve lived in different cities since high school, so I don’t see him often, but I was the best man at his wedding and I love him as a friend. The problem is he asked me for money for his campaign, and I disagree with his politics. He’s smart and well-educated, but he’s a relatively extreme Republican and some of his stances make me sick. If I did donate I suppose I could match his with one to a left-wing candidate in a close race in a different district. What should I do?

Re: Classic: Tell him you can't donate.

• Ignore his requests or just say “no im
    not donating.”
  • Ignore.  Bean dip. 

• Tell him you aren't donating. 

But if this was your best friend can you also have a dialogue about why you do not share the same views? 
  • Sorry.  I think you're a great person and wish you luck.

But I like dogs and cats better than politics, so my charitable donations go to the SPCA.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • "Some of his stances make me sick." 

Then why are you friends with him? Obviously we don't need to share political views with everyone in our life, but this suggests that he's veering into something racist or bigoted. That's a pretty good place to draw a line. 
  • "Some of his stances make me sick." 

Then why are you friends with him? Obviously we don't need to share political views with everyone in our life, but this suggests that he's veering into something racist or bigoted. That's a pretty good place to draw a line. 
    Right?!? 

If this is someone who is going to take their views to enforce policy that is absolutely IMO the time to say that you're not donating and why you find that view to be problematic and not representative of you or your feelings about how you want that person to represent your state/district.