Wedding Woes
Options

Woeful Wednesday

I am having a shit time of it. Yesterday I got a call that my dream job was rescinded because of “a hiring freeze.” I was all the way through my background check, credentialing, and had assigned personnel. I had signed the I-9 forms. My start date was Monday. I am pretty distraught and upset. I quit my job for this. So my options are either go back and beg for my old job, which is humiliating, or gamble on applying and staying home for 6-8 weeks, which I can’t afford. I don’t qualify for unemployment because I voluntarily quit my last job. I am so upset. 

Re: Woeful Wednesday

• Options
    oh no @levioosa that sucks and is such BS
  • Options
    Oh @levioosa I'm so sorry!  

Is there any possibility of doing some type of temporary work in the meantime? I don't know if this is a good option for you either.  How disappointing!
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Gosh I'm so sorry @levioosa.  That's terrible.  Shame on the new employer, they're complete @ss***es!!!  I don't blame you for not wanting to return to your old job, I wouldn't either.  I know that the fear of the unknown can be hard but you know it's better than your former employer.  And all when you should still be celebrating your marriage.  I'm really sorry.  (And hoping some of our smarter WWers will have some sort of sound legal advice or steps to take!)
  • Options
    Oh @levioosa I'm so sorry.  You don't deserve this and that new employer is FOS for their hiring practices.  

Fingers X that the better offer is to you soon. 

Having a feeling of being in a funk today.  I told DH that we need to talk later.  I'm concerned that I think he's going through something and consequently I'm feeling insecure.  I think we just need some time for a heart to heart and I also think he's not totally well-versed in the female emotion.  My MIL's moods are so wild that I think DH's response is to almost tune them out or handle them with diplomacy vs. feeling.  And I need a little more from him right now.  
  • Options
    @levioosa that is awful! I'm so sorry. I wouldn't want to return to my old job either. Ugh. 
  • Options
    Oh @levioosa, I am so sorry.  That is such a terrible situation and also, I'm so sorry about losing the dream job too!  

Nothing too big today.  Just at work, doing my stuff.  
  • Options
    @levioosa, I am so bummed and angry for you!  These should have been be your happiest days.  If it's a hot job market for your skills (it sounds like it is), it's probably worth the gamble to not go back to your other job.  I also think trying to pick up a temporary job, like @MNNEBride mentioned, is a great idea if that is something viable for what you do.

My friend is a production assistant for tvs/movies.  I don't know if the LA studios are too far for you to go, but she's told me everyone who's going to be on set (actors and staff) need to get a PCR test 3x/week.  From what she's described, the company they use to do that hire medical staff on a flexible basis.  She said most of them have their f/t jobs at hospitals, but do that as a 1-2 day/week, easy p/t gig.  She's joked to them it must be boring.  But they'd reply that boring and no-stress was a relief!

Some of that also depends on your and your H's financial situation. If you all haven't already, sit down and put together a "bare bones" budget.  Just the necessities.  His income.  Savings, though you all don't want to dig too deep into savings.  If it's not do-able, then consider going back to your other job (ugh).  I know it feels humiliating but, if they haven't hired anyone else yet, they'd probably be relieved.    
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    OMG, that's awful! I can't believe they'd let you get so far in onboarding before telling you. Companies know people have to quit jobs to get to this point! In addition to PCR testing, are there any other BS gigs that you can do to fill in temp income? My sister used to go around doing flu shots and other vaccinations when she first got her RN. It's boring and not great money, but better than driving uber and leaves you the flexibility to resume your search. I'm sure that once you get over the initial blow and start looking again you'll have another offer quickly. 
  • Options
    I (finally) followed up with our other applicants yesterday.  Some of them are still interested in the next units, so that's good, and I'm back to checking references today.  Which I hate doing.  Especially since I don't WFH or have an office, I have to try and stuff all that in on my lunch hour.  I can have/make personal phone calls during work.  But it needs to stay pretty limited and shouldn't be long conversations.

It's going to be another crazy storms day, so I might leave work early again.  Thunderstorms, possible flooding, possible tornadoes.  They said wind gusts might be up to 70MPH!

I got my pick-up truck back yesterday.  Ugly.  My a/c needs a new compressor, to the tune of $1400.  I noped on that.  I needed something on my brakes.  The quoted me about $800.  Except it wasn't.  It was $889.  That's closer to $900, AHs.  Then there was an additional charge for changing out the brake fluid (something like that) for another $90.  Which was on top of the service fee, the a/c check fee, and other misc. charges. 

So the total, including tax (about $100), was $1200.  I would have paid that anyway for what was fixed.  But why are they lowballing it to me?  All that did was piss me off!  Because I was expecting a bill of $900-$950, which was already higher than I was expecting, only to find out a few hours later that it was actually substantially more than that.

There was nothing they could do about my door issue because that's not a service they perform.  But charged me $28 to look at it.  Whatever.   

It's a Firestone that's walking distance to my work and I've used them a lot.  In the past, I've been really happy with them.  But, after this, I'm not so sure (sigh).

Otherwise, it's a good day!  I got a rare full night of sleep and have more energy than usual to get through the day.  I even had time to stop at McD on my way into work because they had a $1 breakfast sandwich coupon in their app.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That’s so awful @levioosa and sounds like there are just no good options. 
  • Options
    For anyone who needs a chuckle today, this just happened in our kitchen. 

• Options
    That’s tough @banana468. Does he respond well if you tell him you need more from him? 

H can be similar. He’s not great with feelings but if I say “I need you to do x because it helps me with y” he responds well I think because he knows exact what to do or say. 
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    OMG @charlotte989875 ...whut?!?!  My kids are really bad with opening up the freezer door and hoisting themselves up using their wrists while they look inside, I always tell them to get down bc i'm afraid of the door breaking off.  What the heck happened  :D
  • Options
    @charlotte989875, that is something else!  In my years of rentals, I have never seen this happen, though my rental fridges are freezer tops.  I would love to hear the story behind this, lol.

I see the Buffalo Bills logo magnet has a special place of honor on the dishwasher!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ei34 said:
    OMG @charlotte989875 ...whut?!?!  My kids are really bad with opening up the freezer door and hoisting themselves up using their wrists while they look inside, I always tell them to get down bc i'm afraid of the door breaking off.  What the heck happened  :D
    Apparently that is a thing that can actually happen! 
  • Options
    Highly accessible, highly inefficient @banana468!
  • Options
    If anyone would have seen this happen before it would have been you @short+sassy

There’s not much story sadly. MIL was closing the fridge after getting M a snack and she saw one of the bolts and then the door came right down. I heard a crash then she yelled “we’re okay” then another crash. And then there was the fridge door on the floor. 
  • Options
    @levioosa that is super unethical and unprofessional. Didn’t they get the ok from HR before going through this process?
    @charlotte989875 ay yeh yeh! Can it be bolted back in?
    Good luck on “the talk” @banana468
    @short+sassy that low balling is some BS! Ugh.  I know once my car will be paid off, I’ll have to start saving for repairs.  Tires this weekend are bad enough!

my ear infection seems to be clearing.  It’s still pretty painful, but a manageable pain. I finally went to “see” (virtual) my doc about it Monday, got some antibiotics but only started them yesterday and it’s a 10 day run. So, for 2 days in, I think it’s going to help. I also got to talk about my b.c. and ozempic (upping that dose).  She wants me to use the sugar pack week every 3rd month and cycle 4 times a year. Boooo.  How did my friend get a “no more period” approval from her doc?

• Options
    That’s tough @banana468. Does he respond well if you tell him you need more from him? 

H can be similar. He’s not great with feelings but if I say “I need you to do x because it helps me with y” he responds well I think because he knows exact what to do or say. 
    He's a tough nut to crack.

He also REALLY needs his alone time.  Needs it.  He needs to be in the basement and uninterrupted.  I try to get the kids outside when it's a weekend or at least get them to their rooms so they can't sound like elephants.  I get it.  It's time he needs to mentally re-charge.

What I need to do is be more verbal about what I need emotionally and I haven't done that.  So rather than make assumptions I need to be clear rather than let silence and assumptions rule how we approach our gripes.   
  • Options
    @charlotte989875 how in the heck!? Lol!

@banana468 Hopefully the talk helps. Maybe your H doesn't realize it?

Got my hair cut & coloured. I'll post photo tomorrow, my face looks awful and I can't get a good angle in the office lol
    It's blonde again but purple mostly on the bottom. It's a bit longer than I originally thought I'd go, but it's fine. It's shorter than before and maybe I'll go shorter next time or next year.

Currently in talks of booking holidays. Likely doing end of August because it's just as back to school is happening.
    I think M & I are going to split our holidays like last year. We haven't decided yet, but I suggested on the Wednesday {aka our split day} we both take it off and do BK school shopping.

I honestly think we may buy extra stuff also for home. I figure if BK is use to having certain things available, it'd be nice to have it available at home with what we can do.

Also would it be weird if we bought doubles of some stuff to bring to school? I did that when we sent BK to preschool - like tissues and wipes - we sent extra just in case someone forgot or someone couldn't send it for whatever reason.
  • Options
    banana468 said:

He's a tough nut to crack.

He also REALLY needs his alone time.  Needs it.  He needs to be in the basement and uninterrupted.  I try to get the kids outside when it's a weekend or at least get them to their rooms so they can't sound like elephants.  I get it.  It's time he needs to mentally re-charge.

What I need to do is be more verbal about what I need emotionally and I haven't done that.  So rather than make assumptions I need to be clear rather than let silence and assumptions rule how we approach our gripes.   
    My H is the same way. He needs time to decompress. 

It’s taken me a LONG time to get to the point where I know I need to tell him what I need emotionally. It used (and admittedly still does sometimes) make me feel bad that he didn’t get it when I was upset. But I’ve found we do better when I’m direct. I’m not great at it and I definitely get what you’re feeling. 
  • Options
    I learned some really interesting info about the US, it's oil, and oil production over the weekend.

The US, by far, produces more oil than any other country.  So I've always been confused as to why we import a lot, but also export a lot.  And now I have the answer.

The crude oil that is pumped out of the ground can be different around the world.  It's graded on "weight" and "density".  With "light, sweet" crude being more expensive and sought after, because it is more pure and has less sulfur in it.

North America, for the most part, has "light, sweet" crude oil.  The Middle East oil is usually "heavy, sour" oil.

But you need to refine crude oil.  And it's refined differently depending on what type of oil it is.

In the early days, the US didn't have all the rigs and infrastructure for pumping oil like we do nowadays.  They imported a lot of oil from the Middle East.  So we largely built our refineries to handle that type of oil.  Ironically, other parts of the world have refineries that handle the "light, sweet" crude that comes out of North America.

Special nod to Canada.  They are the 4th largest producer of oil in the world and also pump out "light, sweet" crude.

I think Saudi Arabia is #2 and Russia is #3, but I may have that backwards.  I'm not sure what type of oil Russia produces.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    omg @charlotte989875 I'm glad no one was hurt

Re: insurance @levioosa does your H have access to insurance? 
  • Options
    So idk if I mentioned here before, but we've been having concerns about our allergist for BK and conflicting information.
    I just vented for about 5min to my dr about all my concerns/issues about this allergist.

She felt the same how it's conflicting and how I'm right that it could cause issues.
  • Options
    That's complete and total BS @levioosa.  I can't believe that happened and how it went down.  I'm so sorry.