Wedding Woes
Options

Leave her alone.

Dear Prudence,

I had a long-term relationship (about 20 months) with someone I met online during the pandemic lockdowns. She lives abroad, and for the most part, our relationship was really great. I had been trying to move to the country she lives in, and applied to medical schools over there, so I was taking it fairly seriously. I never told her I was applying and seriously considering moving, which was probably a mistake because she only heard my vague wishes of wanting to leave my terrible country. I eventually got rejected from those schools and accepted an offer from a (good!) school in my home country, so moving is now off the table. I ended up leaving her because—about twice a year—she would not respond to my texts for several days at a time with no explanation. Normally, this is not a big deal for me with anyone, but I was so used to talking to her every day I started to get in my head and think, “How hard is it to send a text?” I told her it stressed me out and I worried, but it continued, like clockwork, never with any explanation. I was probably reading too many “Girl Power!” manuals, but I convinced myself she didn’t care enough about me and politely ended it. She was understanding. Now, it’s six months later. I miss her and am thinking about reaching out. Am I blowing a couple of weird days for her out of proportion? Or was she out of line?

— Stuck in the Middle

Re: Leave her alone.

• Options
    I don’t know but long distance is terriblly difficult and it looks like you don’t want to live there. At least not now. I would focus on schooling and maybe a local relationship in time.

• Options
    What are Girl Power manuals? Honestly LW sounds controlling and good for abroad GF to walk away. 
  • Options
    It's over.  You didn't like the pattern of behavior and why would you expect it to change?

You're missing the relationship - not her.
  • Options
    Learn to use your words before you get into another relationship or go to med school. 
  • Options
    I'm wondering if the LW ever even met this person.  Especially if most of this relationship was during lockdown.

LDRs, especially with someone in a different country, are very difficult.  And they're about to go to medical school?  Come on!  They'll barely have time for a relationship with someone who lives across the hall.  

And might be so jam packed with studies that they'd be the one having trouble texting very often.

Despite the 20 months, this relationship was just beginning because online and occasional vacations (if that even happened) are different from "on the daily" in-person.

The LW isn't seeing it now, I get that.  But it's not much of a loss and they need to focus on their studies for the next few years anyway.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options